Google Docs now offering offline editing and iOS access.

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by emajy, Jun 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just in case you did not see this ;)
    Marty

Announcing your two most requested features: offline document editing and Drive for iOS

In April, we introduced Google Drive, a place where you can create, share, and keep all your stuff. Today at the Google I/O conference we announced two new ways to get things done in the cloud: offline editing for Google documents and a Drive app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
    Offline document editing
    No internet connection? No big deal. With offline editing, you can create and edit Google documents and leave comments. Any changes you make will be automatically synced when you get back online.
    You can enable offline editing from the gear icon in Google Drive and find more detailed instructions for getting set up in the Help Center. Note that you'll need the latest versions of Chrome or ChromeOS to edit offline. We're also working hard to make offline editing for spreadsheets and presentations available in the future.
    Google Drive for iOS
    We launched the Drive app for Android phones and tablets a few weeks ago, and starting today, Google Drive is available for your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
    With the Drive app, you can open PDFs, photos, videos, documents and anything else stored in your Drive while you're on the go. You can also search all your files, add collaborators to documents, and make files available offline to view them even without an internet connection. For blind and low-vision users, the app also works great in VoiceOver mode. Learn more about what you can do with the app in our Help Center.
    Get Drive in the App Store for your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch running iOS 5.0+ and visit the Play Store to get the latest on your Android phone or tablet.
    To learn more about Google Drive, visit drive.google.com/start.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    While they also released Google Chrome for iOS today, it doesn't seem to support offline editing.

myskyconnections likes this.
  3. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    No you would have to log in with Safari to edit.:mad:
    I have been using iOS Chrome tonight and I seem to like it.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, iOS Chrome is apparently "just" a UI wrapper around the UIWebView browser component from Apple, so it's not really Chrome:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/28/go...se-apples-slow-uiwebview-to-render-web-pages/

And since you can't configure un-jailbroken iOS to use a different default browser when clicking on a link in, say, emails, it very much reduces the usefulness of Chrome on iOS to me.

5. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be nice if they provided a real build for those who jailbreak though.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but unlikely going to happen.

emajy likes this.
  7. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    True but if you use Chrome on your desktop you can access the web pages that are open on your phone. My iPhone is jailbroken so I should change the default. There was a good comparison of Chrome to Safari on iMore.com
    http://www.imore.com/2012/06/28/google-chrome-ios-compared-safari-ios-video/