Google Buys Frommer's Travel Brand

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Aug 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/08/13/google-buys-frommers-travel-brand-from-john-wiley/

The publisher John Wiley & Sons this morning said it has agreed to sell al of its travel assets, including the Frommer’s brand, to Google.
    Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Wiley said proceeds will be redeployed to support its professional, scientific, technical, medical and education businesses.

Read More: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/08/13/google-buys-frommers-travel-brand-from-john-wiley/

MLW20, marcwint55, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they don't buy milepoint.

MLW20, sobore and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a good point!;)

marcwint55 and MLW20 like this.
  4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if they also bought Arthur and Pauline Frommer...

uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  5. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone read Arthur Frommer's travel blog? I love it. He's a crotchety, opinionated fella who doesn't owe anyone and has paid dues (he pretty much invented the modern travel guide!), and his blog is a treat. He passes along good deals, tells interesting stories and calls out dumb things (he hates the TSA as much as the rest of us...). Very entertaining stuff.

I've always been a fan of Frommer's guide and content, but their web site is really creaky... hopefully as side-effect this Google deal, they'll get a brand new web presence. (And of course, more directly, I'm sure this means we'll see Frommer travel content baked into whatever Google Travel things are in the works.)

6. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I am sick of Google sticking their mitts into everything. Lord knows ITA has become a hunk of moderately useful crap ever since they bought it.