Goodies For Flight Attendands?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Fonzietaco, Mar 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. When I started flying, my grandfather told me to always bring a cookie or some candies for the flight attendant. He said he would do this on every business flight he would take. It seems like a practice of the past and I was wondering if anyone here has done this post-911.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have done this when flying on Christmas and post-9/11. We usually buy little boxes of local chocolates, e.g. Fran's or Dilettante. We give one to the FA serving us on our domestic leg and one to the attendant or purser on our international leg. I sometimes bring chocs to the folks in the lounge, depending on how much they have helped us the previous year.

3. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long until goalie finds this thread?

Flyer1976 and Travelsavant like this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I like to give the purser a box of chocolates on long haul, to share with their team. Just to let them know someone appreciates what they do.

travelingmore likes this.
  5. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always do this when I fly TransPac. I always fly through SFO, so I buy 3 boxes of See's candy, two for the FAs and one for the cockpit. They're always appreciated, and the FAs usually find time to come back and give a personal thank you.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a few threads on the "other" forum about giving goodies to the FA and cockpit during flights on a holiday such as Christmas.

7. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to have little boxes of Sweet Sloops to hand out to
    agreeable FAs. Don't do that very often any more - for a
    while I carried them around but never had the opportunity
    so decided to quit :(

techgirl and Gargoyle like this.
  8. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    I passed out some locally produced chocolate for the cabin crew and cockpit for a Christmas Day flight, because it sucks to work on Christmas, even if the flight is to Honolulu. I haven't on any other occasion....

kwai likes this.
  9. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few members of the AC forum (myself included) are particularly fond of Candy for the Crew Week, where someone comes up with a random week during the year and if we are flying we offer some sweet token to the flight crew.

flying-gal and FlyingFree like this.
  10. Tor Viking
    Original Member

Tor Viking Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everytime I fly to Australia I always give the cabin crew a big block of Norwegian chocolate.
    It's a smash hit! I always get treated well and get desserts from First Class.
    Last time it was flying SFO-SYD. I got a big bowl of strawberry ice-cream, with chocolate sauce and whipped cream!
    Yummo deluxe [​IMG]

Flyer1976, kwai and travelingmore like this.
  11. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do it off and on. They seem to appreciate it, especially after a long day .

12. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try to bring enough for the entire crew.

13. This may sounds silly but here goes. :) I would like to give some yummy treat to the FA since they work so hard and put up with a lot of crap from customers. How do you guys go about giving it to them? Do you do it when boarding or after take off?

Gargoyle, Junca and travelingmore like this.
  14. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do it when boarding. I hand my boxes of candy to the FA doing the welcoming and say, "This is just a little thank you for you and the crew -- 2 boxes are for the cabin crew and one is for the cockpit."

I would also suggest that, whatever yummy treat you bring them, make sure that its a commercial product that's sealed and in its original wrapping. If I was an FA, I'd be cautious about accepting candy from strangers.

Flyer1976 and no-backpacker like this.
  15. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do it when boarding, and I also try to make sure that there are two FAs when I do it. On one occasion, i handed some to a surly service director with no other FAs nearby. He just grabbed it and tossed it into his bag.

16. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've given candies several times to the crews serving my cabin. Some as an appreciation gesture for work well done and some to motivate them to provide good service. [​IMG]

17. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny you should mention Norwegian chocolate. I am not a bif chocolate fan myself, but some years ago I started to bring Norwegian chocolate when I travelled. My friends and colleagues LOVED it. Haha, I became very populare! :) However I have never thought about bringing Norwegian chocolate to the FA's...

Do you give it mostly when you fly business ot first, or also when you fly economy? Maybe a silly question from one who always fly economy... :-/ (Stingy boss... [​IMG])

Xxx.

Tor Viking likes this.
  18. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    When boarding, I locate the purser and tell him/her that it is a gift to share with their entire team. Generally there will be another crew member there at the time, but I've found the purser will always let all of them know and share.

One AF FA was almost in tears, she said no pax had ever done anything like that to show appreciation/understanding for them.

Frozentech likes this.
  19. Tor Viking
    Original Member

Tor Viking Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've found that almost anything from Norway is great. Just the fact that it comes from Scandinavia makes it sound delightful! I only give it out on the long haul flights LHR-USA, SFO/LAX-SYD. I've always been fortunate enough to have been upgraded to Business using SWU's, so it's always there I hand them out. Though I have given when I've been in Economy too. (had no more swu's) I just walked to galley when the meal and duty-free service was over.
    Still, not just chocolate, but we also have these jellies which are women. They actually have boobies!!! I can tell you the crew give out the roar of laughter when they see what they're eating [​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.
  20. I am from Baltimore and we have a cookie that is famous in Baltimore called Bergers. I was thinking about bringing those for them. It is a yummy cake/cookie that is covered in chocolate. How can you go wrong with chocolate and cookies. LOL

21. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have done this when, for example, the same crew are serving a second or return leg, but not as a " normal" occasion. As already said, if food, it should be commercially sealed.

The nicest fun I have had is swapping Conrad bears for kids toys (e.g. SQ bears) to give to kids of some friends. That has been well received, as has been the occasional Koala after a conversation.

22. Lucky I can buy Bergers cookies in a sealed package so I think I will do that.

23. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I have also taken part in the AC Candy for the Crew Week... a few times now.

24. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    same here, not as often as I'd like to.

Jubileesmom likes this.
  25. This seems a very strange concept. But perhaps this is due to my very cynical British perspective.

I would fear the FA's would be sceptical, perhaps seeing a passenger that is vying for an upgrade.
    In their shoes, I might also be a little embarrassed, feeling as though I had to perform a Monica every time I walked past the passenger!

Gargoyle likes this.