Goodbye Q-400s, Hello More EMB-175s

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ssullivan, Sep 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wandering Aramean and TAHKUCT like this.
  2. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did a MR on 175 ORD-BOS and really enjoyed the ride considering I was on a regional jet

3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is an important step up, but it is still a regional jet. When half full it is a lovely aircraft.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't think we have them here on the west coast, but the loss of the Skywest Brasilia routes and likely reduction of CR2 routes out here is significantly weakening the network. Direct impact for me since I am planning to move to a location that currently only has UA service on a few daily CR2s (in addition to other carriers with similar regional service). Doubt they'll replace them with 175s.

5. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bit of a shame, really, as the Q400 is a decent-enough aircraft. I wonder if they'll be used to replace the Q200 and Q300 on some routes, or maybe even a few will show up to replace E120s.

Having said that, I won't mind flying in a E175.

blackjack-21 and 8MiHi like this.
  6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, the Q-400s appear to be gone. The press release says they've already got a home for 24 of them, and the rest will be sold off or returned.

I do like the Q-400 and will miss them, but I like the EMB-175 even more.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  7. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Q-400 was purchased because CO was scoped out of RJ's larger than 50 seats. Despite that the Q400 and turboprop flying makes a hell of a lot of sense in some parts, passengers don't want to fly on prop planes. Also, depending on how the CBA with the pilots is written UA may be able to drop Q-400s and pick up 175s on a 1-for-1 basis. This would be advantageous for UA as, IIRC under the current CBA with the pilots, UA can only add larger regional jets if they remove a larger number of smaller regional jets. Again, IIRC the number is something like 1.75 to 1.

8. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the most part, I'd rather be on a Q400 than a CR2.And QX seems to be doing OK with flying a large number of Q4's.

9. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is stupid, but I also thing RAH was the wrong airline to pick up this metal long term. I do think it probably helped them get the foot in the door for the new E175s...but for them to run such a small sub-fleet was not something they were able to gear up to do efficiently, especially with the new commercial pax airline pilot regs.

What might have been interesting? Teaming up with AS/Horizon to operate UA's Q's...economies of scale...bigger pilot pool. I don't think that there's an aircraft in UA's arsenal that's better suited for most of the Q missions than the Q was/is.

10. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Horrible news. The Q400's came from CO, ergo they are incredible aircraft. Another loss as the United name continues to destroy Continental's superiority.

blackjack-21, Flyer1976 and rggale like this.
  11. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Woah. I like this new you. Too bad it's a satire. :p

genemk2, ssullivan and Flyer1976 like this.
  12. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do the 175s have ovens on board?

13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the Regional Airline industry has a shortage of willing Pilots, I don't understand how United could award additional aircraft to a Regional Airline that has publicly stated that it is having a shortage of qualified and willing pilots to come and work for them. :confused:

I am biased but I think that United should have awarded the contract to another regional airline. :-:

14. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Biased.

Wandering Aramean and ssullivan like this.
  15. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a suspicion on where Republic is going find said pilots. ><

Flyer1976 and rggale like this.
  16. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, not yet.

We'll see on that. UA did announce that big improvements would be coming to catering on the larger RJs next year, but details won't be known until next year. Depending on what UA decides to do, ovens could be something that are added.

17. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm too lazy to search for it, but I was pretty sure EWR-ATL 175s were getting more substantial food service this fall. Guess it'll just be cold food.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new meal service will be cold sandwiches, I believe. Dinner might be hot sandwiches but I'm not sure.

Flyer1976, ssullivan and CGK like this.
  19. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still beats the AM/PM snack box crap.

20. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flew a Mesa Airlines united express e175 last night YYZ to IAH. Was very surprised to see that it had four rows of F class, I.e. 12 F seats, four more than the A319. Seatguru.com doesn't have the map yet.

For what ever reason, the IT systems for q400 never worked with SHARES. I've had situations where every 1K's upgrade cleared at the gate, and the result was that every 1K's reservation was instantly canceled. Or my upgrade would clear and by the time I board I am back in coach. Or the GA says it is a 100 percent full flight and five people board. It is time to throw in the towel.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  21. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With a difference of only about ten or fifteen minutes longer flight times then the E145's between YYZ-EWR, I preferred the Q400's for their slightly larger cabins and much more comfortable seats, and since they usually arrived or departed from T-C at EWR, they had another advantage over the -145 flights, most of which arrived at T-A, necessitating a bus transfer for connections.

But with the short mileage and flight time from Toronto to Newark, UA may not want to replace the Q's with 170/175's, instead saving them for longer flights, so we may be stuck with all E145's, which appears to be happening now, although AC flies their 175's to Newark from here.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  22. festdave

festdave Silver Member

Status Points:
    @blackjack21, that happened with IAH-MFE, admittedly a much less busy route than YYZ-EWR, but similar length (316 mi vs. 348). There used to be Q400s, and with 2-2 seating they were certainly more comfy than 1-2 EMBs, but OMG they were noisy! It also turned a 60-minute flight into more like 75. They weren't horrible and they were better than E145s, but E175s are better still. Unfortunately, MFE, HRL, and BRO now seem to have all gone to E145s in order to stick to ~4 flights a day per airport, which has its own pluses and minuses.

23. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never did get a chance to sit in an F seat on the Q400. :(

24. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to fly out of BWI to EWR on a Q400 do they have overhead bin space for roller board or do you have to gate check your roller board.

25. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    You weren't really missing much. They were better than regular Y, though.