Good UA service of late

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by redtailshark, Nov 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few days ago I flew UA BRU-EWR-LAX-TUS. All sectors operated on time, in fact early into EWR. A good job too since the other itin was technically separate. I can report successful uses of GPU on TATL sector and RPU on TCON sector. Good service in J from FA Keith. Decent selection of food from Chef Shawarma. Even the hated CR2 was on time, my bags appeared quickly, no problems there.

The experience was nothing spectacular but it was overall a good value, efficient service. In the face of the unquestioned problems, it reminds me, UA can do this well. And I still have a few months left to employ the newly-accrued-but-soon-to-be-devalued MP bounty.....

adrianors likes this.
  2. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're fortunate RTS, UAX on the east coast leaves a lot to be desired.:rolleyes:

redtailshark and mht_flyer like this.
  3. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's definitely hit and miss. Recently flew from FRA to SFO in J and the two older FA ladies working the upper deck were amazing. It completely caught me off-guard because I wasn't expecting it. They came around the cabin often to refill water bottles and were practically shoving alcoholic drinks down our throats. They were super nice and the entire service was probably some of the best that I have ever experienced anywhere.

http://pursuedadventures.com/trip-report-ua-united-airlines-business-first-review-fra-to-sfo/

redtailshark and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    @GT: yes, I agree... SkyWest is a better UAX franchise than your E Coast equivalents. We can debate why (less ATC restriction/inclement weather/traffic issues) but I expect less service and more disruption out east. CLT has its upsides, I know, but UAX service is not one of them :rolleyes:

@Dozer: interesting. Some of UA's older FAs are really good....attentive, courteous without being obsequious. I must admit, maybe it's whitey's cultural thing, but when I see what I feel is obsequiousness, e.g. the FAs in TG F kneel to take orders, it's not my scene. Good old-fashioned American manners are not to be devalued in service environments: a polite, efficient, respectful, but not excessively obsequious demeanor is what I seek.

I think what you say explains some of the dynamic, i.e. we "experienced frequent flyers of international airlines" often expect at-best mediocre service from our UA crews and when the bar is low, we can't be so disappointed. UA is more of a crapshoot than say, SQ, although UA's best are in no way inferior.

Someone else commented that IAD FAs don't provide as good service as other UA crew bases. I don't have enough data on that but I do agree, I haven't yet met an IAD-crew who deliver true quality of service. I've had good deliveries from SFO/LAX/IAH/ORD and even EWR crews.

One thing I find fascinating is how hard this quality service balance is to achieve. New servers/FAs sometimes take their training manual too far and in their zeal not to be called out for sloth or "inattention," end up shouting over customers, rudely announcing things or inserting the programmed spiel over the top of convos or other matters occupying the table/customer and creating stress in the customers. But since everyone has a different threshold for attention vs. interruption, it requires a strong understanding of human nature. Some of this can't be taught.

I'll be specific about UA's recent service. On my BRU-EWR sector, FA Keith was a younger black guy, very professional and courteous. His concept of warming the cognac prior to mixing into the essential SharkCoffee was ideal and his overall attention was high class: checking back without intruding, not allowing passenger wants to grow to intervention level but also not inserting himself over the top of their viewings of Demi Lovato or Dyland y Lenny. UA needs to know about these people. I called out his quality delivery in the recent survey that was sent to my email.

I want to see GloriousSupremeLeader Jeff do these jobs for a day and report back to us.

And then, with customer service improvement all the rage worldwide.... there's this... http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/229538

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, this doesn't surprise me. It doesn't matter which airline you fly, it's always going to be hit-and-miss. And for full disclosure, I flew in F SFO-FRA (and the reverse a week later) and outbound service was "adequate," whereas the return was top-shelf.

Subject to a lot of interpretation too. Me, all I ask is a professional manner, keep me hydrated and collect my food tray in a reasonable amount of time. In my time with UA as my primary carrier, I estimate my feedback to 1K Voice was 3:1 positive. I think the last time I gave feedback on in-flight crew (good or bad) was early 2011.