Good Samaritans meet homeless Czech man in New York, buy him a ticket home

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Dec 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...ew-york--buy-him-a-ticket-home-014832347.html

Czech national Jaroslav first came to the United States in September in hopes of finding work.

But things didn’t work out as planned for the 53-year-old. He lost his job at an Orlando-area hotel, went to New York City only to be robbed of everything he owned when he fell asleep at the bus station, and ended up living between homeless shelters and on the streets of Manhattan for more than a month.

All Jaroslav (whose last name is not known) wanted was to get home to the Czech Republic and see his family again.

And then he met members of the YouTube comedy group Whatever in Union Square Park in early November. They were out with Brandon Levithan, the owner of clothing company Thread Society, handing out sweatshirts, blankets and hats to the homeless to keep them warm through the winter. (They were inspired by similar Good Samaritan videos like the help-a-homeless-veteran time lapse and Whatever’s own “Giving a Homeless Man $3,000.”)

Though Jaroslav speaks no English, his story resonated with the filmmakers, who not only fed and clothed him, but also got him a haircut and shave, put him up in a hotel and, ultimately, bought him a plane ticket back to his home near Prague.

Read More: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...ew-york--buy-him-a-ticket-home-014832347.html

2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting, sobore! A great story! ;)

3. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's nice to know there are some truly good folks in this world!

4. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice story indeed. Interestingly enough though, when I interned with the shelter system in NYC the city itself would buy people who were homeless one-way tickets home. The nice way of viewing it was they were reuniting people with their family and theoretically a better support system. The other side is it was simply cheaper to buy a ticket than to provide shelter, care, etc. for an unknown number of years or decades. There was a process to go through to get it done, but it was absolutely possible.

I don't know if they are still doing that now or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    $70 for a cab to the airport? Why, I wonder, do I take the bus/subway?

6. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/nyregion/29oneway.html (from '09). I don't know if this was still active in 2012, nor if De Blasio's has kept / will keep the program running.

mommypoints likes this.