Good bye, SkyTeam. Hello, *A Gold!

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by riverchica, Nov 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to lose my Delta status (it was a good run, Delta. Don't believe the haters!) so leveraged my SkyTeam Elite Plus into Turkish Elite for *A Gold for 2 years. The Turkish status match went through less than 72 hours after e-mailing them a copy of my Delta Medallion card and statement. Didn't receive any notification but logged into my Turkish account and it now shows Elite. So easy!
    I've scant experience with Star Alliance carriers and am US-based. Delta's been a fine option for my domestic flying but not great for my increasing frequency of flights to Africa so I plan on throwing my business to *A carriers after March. Any pearls of wisdom from old *A hands? Thoughts on US Air vs United for domestic flights?

8MiHi, daemon14 and Kalboz like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Between UA and US, simply take whoever offers a nonstop flight or better fare.

You will get lounge access with both with your TK card.

You won't, however, be eligible for upgrades on either carrier. On UA, you'll still need to pay for E+ seating...even on day of departure.

daemon14 and riverchica like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ive already wondered with the whole Prem Eco that requires $$$$. If there is not enuf elites flying (thus free E+) does the middle of the plane go empty?

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    edekba likes this.
  5. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats!

Ethiopian is a great option to Africa. Enjoy those new 787s.

There are really 3 different carriers. sUA, sCO and US. Their domestic economy class is pretty different. On US, don't expect IFE, but you get Wifi on the 321s and increasingly on others. On UA, unless you're on a JFK-LAX/SFO p.s. flight, Wifi is hard to find. sCO you get directTV domestically, you need to pay for it but you get a free trial in the beginning. These are generally all the 737s. on the sUA flights you get overhead video but it's free. Neither will get you anything wow for *Gold, but slightly better treatment than the masses.

A few notable lounges.. but keep mind, nothing is as nice as the renovated skyclubs in the US. AC MLL in LGA. It's being renovated, but a decent place for food. the SQ lounge in SFO is worth the hike, but admission rules are not always uni formally enforced. *Gold traveling internationally generally works better than paid business on UA. The US lounges in PHL and CLT serve soup, olives and nice snacks when the transatlantic flights are leaving. Hard alcohol costs extra in the US lounges, but are free in the UA lounges. Alcohol costs $1 in the US lounges at PHL, except in the A concourse lounges which is technically in a different municipality and under a different liquor license. Some former CO lounges have showers in the US.

Also, if you book AC via the AC website, i've generally been given the bulkhead seats as a *gold for no extra charge.

riverchica and Kalboz like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't otherwise have a seat assignment and you show up at the gate you might get E+. Or you might end up in a middle seat in E-.

8MiHi and edekba like this.
  7. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to spent quite a bit of time in Ethiopia and hope to be flying to ADD within the next year. I have a sticker from Ethiopian Airlines that an Ethiopian travel agent gave me advertising the new 787 for 2009, 2010, 2011, etc :p

8MiHi and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What are you actually trying to get out of the program? Just lounge access? Domestic upgrades? Good reward redemption values? Free bags?

Those things (and more) all have to come into play when figuring out what program to join and how to get value from them.

8MiHi and riverchica like this.
  9. cedrbop74

cedrbop74 Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the same boat. My delta status expires I'm Feb and just hit Gold on US. Just gives me better options for my flights out of the Midwest.

10. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I enjoy the domestic upgrades on Delta but those are perks that I can live without. I'm mostly interested in alleviating misery when flying internationally, so lounge access, award redemptions for the front of plane, discounts or complimentary upgrades on premium economy, and access to a real agent when my flights get flubbed.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Access to a better agent is only going to come if you are flying on the carrier where you have status. Otherwise you're in line with everyone else. Ditto for access to the forward cabin on long-haul flights in some sort of easier/discounted manner. That said, none of the US-based carriers have a proper premium economy product and Turkish is scrapping theirs.

Lounge access on the international flight happens with gold status on UA/US or on TK; the only real difference is lounge access on wholly domestic USA itineraries.

I think based on your criteria that crediting to TK is a mistake.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with Seth on this commentary. I would suggest the OP look into UA and you can credit everything over to UA while using your TK *G card for one year to access Lounges while flying domestically.

13. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestions! I was planning on using my TK status just to cushion the loss of Delta status while I built up miles in either United or US Air.

I've flown United a couple of times in the past few years and mostly just remember disliking transiting through Denver (the nearest hub to me). I can't even remember the last time I flew on US. So I appreciate the suggestions!

14. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can actually use your TK *G for 2 year to access *G lounges :)

I'd still go for crediting to UA while holding TK *G.

15. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the 2 years of *Gold with TK Elite. I was just matched in October. Has anyone in the USA received their TK Gold Elite Card without posting any miles? I have heard some success on another Board :) Anyway, I did the match for Free Lounge Access on wholly USA Travels as my US Air Club Card was about to expire ( learend about the match at the Chicago Seminars and was all over it ) TK matched me in a few days. As to the OP Congrats on your match!. I actually like UA and *Alliance Safe Travels

riverchica likes this.
  16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received a welcome packet including elite card shortly after matching.

Flying Machine likes this.
  17. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I gave up on trying to get my card. I have A3 now, good for over 3 years.

mattsteg likes this.
  18. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    TK was nice to bridge the last few thousand miles toward earning A3 in my case.

daemon14 likes this.
  19. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here. Got TK solely for my trip to India on SQ for A3*G.

20. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to *A. You will not be missing SkyTeam, that's for sure! LH gives me 2 years as a Senator and that's good enough for me :)

21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The grass is always greener. Wait until you redeem a ticket with M&M and the "taxes and fees" are more than a revenue ticket.

22. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Been a senator for long enough to know how the system works. The number of times I was happy to pay those taxes just to get me home when the only flights available are insanely high (600 - 1000% of normal price) due to exhibitions, conventions and plain simply due to last minute decisions during high seasons.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  23. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I somewhat agree- what I don't like is that there are sliding fee scales- meaning different "fees and taxes" for an award ticket (higher) than a revenue ticket (much lower)- which just doesn't seem at all correct.

24. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's true. But that is not only true for *A. Unfortunately arguing about this with the airline takes you to a black hole. But as I mentioned before, even paying those high taxes to get me somewhere I really need to be at for almost the same price as a normal ticket makes me smile.