Good bye, IC Sydney

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by southender, Nov 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    this used to be my 'go to' Syd hotel. The thrill has been diminishing (familiarity breeds contempt, perhaps?) as I got over the wow of the view and began to expect a bit more.
    Last stay was one night mid week in Oct. Virtuoso booking to bridge club; upgrade to opera club. Club experience did not impress- the promised chef sampler plate never arrived; they shut down service at exactly on the dot; breakfast was blah to inedible (slimey eggs at 7 am will never work). Room service never bother to pick up the phone (three times then I walked across the street). PC number that I was assured was on the file, wasn't. Mentioned my problems to front desk and got the smiley faced kiss off. Didn't feel the passion to pursue with management so will vote with my feet.

flyingdawg, sendaiben and NYBanker like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    My old company had an office right next door and I used to stay here. I found a lot of the same issues you had.

I eventually made the Westin up on Martin Place my default location in Sydney. You don't get the views, but across a dozen stays, ice never had a single issue there. Just a 5 minute walk between the two locations.

GoodBoy, Toula and flyingdawg like this.
  3. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't the Hyatt reopening with major renovations? :)

4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another who uses Westin Martin Place as their default. No view to speak of, but I love their beds and the bathrooms. Never had anything but an outstanding stay at Westin.

flyingdawg and YULtide like this.
  5. WARNING Bells

WARNING Bells Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm always amused by people who claim " breakfast was blah to inedible ...".
    Did you have EVERYTHING?
    If you don't 'like' the looks of the eggs - then don't take them !! ( BTW, they make their eggs to suit the American market, so that's really funny !! )
    "walked across the street ..." What did you find there? There is nothing across the street ( in all directions ) from the IC Sydney - it's in a business district !! ( across the street, and down the road a block to Circular Quay - but not across the street ... )

Expectations vary. They know that. I know that. YOU know that ...

6. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I know is what I experienced- and shared on this board. Should another guest wax lyrical about finally finding slimey eggs in a hotel lounge, I will take that as information as well. Not sure what nationality has to do with egg slime or lack thereof but you got that wrong too...

7. WARNING Bells

Status Points:
    Mate, we don't cook our eggs like you do.
    If they presented the eggs in that fashion - then it was done intentionally, to suit the tastes of likely consumers.
    ( we don't get anything wrong in Australia .... MATE ! )

Toula likes this.
  8. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    yup- egg cookery is truly a regional thing- as are the host (defn- large number) of enteric pathogens that ride along in the slime. After a visit to the nice convict museum up the hill, down the hill, across the street or two and through a gate or three (most with bars) from the IC Syd, I agree you don't get anything wrong in Australia!

9. WARNING Bells

Status Points:
    lol...

" ... convict museum..."

Perhaps you mean the Sydney Police and Justice Museum. Not really related to "convicts" . Or, maybe you are thinking of the Hyde Park Barracks ( a bit further away ), which housed British soldiers of the 'security forces' of the colony in the early 1800s.

But back to eggs ...

the "slime" you refer to, is surely just the uncooked portion, intentionally prepared that way, as instructed by senior chefs / cooks, to cater to the American clients of the hotel. We ( Australians ) are under the distinct impression, that Americans traditionally like their eggs 'runny' or 'sunny-side up' - which apparently leaves a small portion of the egg 'under-cooked' .... or as you have identified, somewhat "slimey" in appearance.

One thing we do not have a problem with in Sydney, is 'food poisoning'. Our Public Health Inspectors pay particular attention to five star hotels, as would the hotel management.

10. travelpye

travelpye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not specific to IC buffet, but re the question of "slimey" scrambled eggs, I had mentioned my extreme dislike for watery scrambled eggs found on buffets to a friend whose past work experience included being a chef in a hotel. He commented that it is difficult to hold scrambled eggs on a buffet very long at all without the water separating from the eggs. Per the American Egg Board, there are many reasons scrambled eggs may become watery, including preparing them in large batches.

Watery scrambled eggs or not, I would love to stay at IC Sydney and enjoy the view from the Club when/if I have the opportunity to return there. I loved Sydney, and found it very well worth spending 30 hours or so of travel from mid America to get there for vacation...

GoodBoy and Toula like this.