Good article on opting out from TSA spot profiling

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Gargoyle, Aug 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
  2. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Say what you want about this, but this method works for the Israelis.

3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just as driving is not a right, neither is flying. If someone doesn't like the extra security, don't fly. I have no problem with TSA doing what they can to make sure that I arrive at my destination safely. While I certainly do not think that the individuals working for TSA are ever going to be rocket scientists, I'm happy to let them doing their job with all the craziness in the world today.

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Two differences- Israel hires highly intelligent people for security work, and trains them extremely well. Also, Ben Gurion Airport is probably not one of the 150th busiest airports in the world. The US has 19 of the 50 busiest. Therefore to match Israeli security levels the TSA would both have to raise qualification levels several magnitude, but also hire a hundred fifty thousand people who meet those levels.

That would be great if it were the case, but I honestly don't believe that the TSA does anything to increase safety or security. They certainly don't do anything that would stop a real, trained, determined terrorist. For example, the body scanners do not see inside bodily cavities, yet smugglers have perfected the use of bodily cavities over hundreds of years of practice. Therefore, the body scanners actually make it easier for terrorists, because the energy and time wasted on those scanners just diverts attention and resources from actually stopping a bomber.

The liquids ban is a joke, since those sort of binary explosives can't be formulated on a plane- they require highly controlled laboratory conditions, accurate equipment, and lots of time.

Max M, mikew99, MX and 4 others like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can equate TSA to an alarm system in a home or a car. It will prevent most of the problems, however if someone is truly determined to break into a house or a car they will find a way. I still would rather have them than not have them at this point in time.

6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    However, when a car alarm or house alarm goes off randomly, giving lots of false alarms, it becomes counter productive. At one point I had a problem with an oversensitive alarm, after two false alarms the local police notified me in writing that I would get a $50 fine for the next false alarm. :p

MX and YULtide like this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then she wanted to know where home was.

Guantanamo.

At that point the agent yelled out, "We have another refusal."

At that point I yelled out "We have another paranoid false terrorist alert!"

I suppose the government figures that grumpy looking people with droopy faces are potential terrorists.

No, they're just trying to match their passport photos in case some TSA Rocket Scientist is unable to match them to their passport.

TSA officials interviewed about 725,000 travelers at Logan International Airport in Boston over the course of one year, and none of them turned out to be terrorists.

Key question: "Do I have the right to remain silent?"

I'm starting to wonder what separates us from Russia or Cuba.

Why pick on Russia and Cuba?

SC Flier and Gargoyle like this.
  8. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or, " your place is closer." ;)

Jenny & Curt likes this.
  9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    At what point do say your alarm system needs fixing when it's wrong 70-90% of the time?

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    But for the Israelis, they are trained for 12-18 months before they go out in the field as opposed to some 14-21 day wonder at the TSA

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I disagree with your percentages, I would still take 10-30% correct if it improves safety for myself and my family. My first and foremost concern when traveling is safety. Before 9/11 it would have been comfort and convenience, but that sadly has changed due to the acts of a small sick group of people.

Paolo Scuri likes this.
  12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    The GAO has repeatedly stated that the TSA misses prohibited items anywhere from 70% to 90% of the time. If you want to dispute those facts, then that's your prerogative.

goalie, thegrailer and MX like this.
  13. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We all disagree with the process. That's a given. But since we have to deal with it (unless of course you write Congress), here's my advice:

Take the chip off your shoulder before you leave home. It will help you cope with everything travel related.

14. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree about the chip, but I think it's important every once in a while for us to go back' look at the big picture and decide if this is where we would have wanted to be if we had had a chance to plan the system out in advance. Might we have designed more logic and less intrusion into individual civil liberties into the system if we had had good mathematicians and risk analysts involved early on? Still not too late, IMHO.

YULtide likes this.
  15. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough but that stuff is exactly why Isreal is not on my short (or even long) list of places I care to visit.

ella likes this.
  16. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a shame. Israel has so much to offer.

Gargoyle and goalie like this.
  17. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    And at such a deal!

Gargoyle and goalie like this.
  18. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That reminds me. I better call EL AL. ;) :D

Gargoyle likes this.