Golfers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TheTourVan, May 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TheTourVan

TheTourVan Active Member

Status Points:
    How many golfers are out there? As a new member here, I love the game. Do you play when you travel? Do you bring your clubs? What are some favorite courses? What gear are you playing?

Just thought it would be nice to have a golf conversation if there are others out there.

2. TheTourVan

TheTourVan Active Member

Status Points:
    I guess not. :cool:

3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still have my bag of old & faithful Ping i3's..... :cool:

Ive realized long ago I don't need new clubs, perhaps a new swing..... ;)

4. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    The game I'm currently playing does, at times, resemble golf.

Currently I'm playing with a set of Wilson Staff clubs that I bought second-hand and re-shafted to fit my swing. I've got around a hundred putters but am currently using an old Odyssey putter that for some reason is rolling true right now. Wedges are a Cleveland, an off-brand that my wife bought me one year and I absolutely love it, and a Callaway that I found at a garage sale and, again, reshafted. I'm transitioning on drivers and woods now, using the Wilson's that came with my irons but I don't like them. I'm looking for a good Callaway driver that I can re-shaft. I do LOVE my old tight-lies fairway wood however and can't see changing from it any time soon.

If I take my clubs I usually ship them FedEx because I don't trust the airlines.

5. TheTourVan

TheTourVan Active Member

Status Points:
    Good stuff Sedosi. Wilson makes some quality stuff despite not being out on tour that much as long as it is under the Staff line. Reshafting to fit your swing was the key. I too am a shaft guy and love the adjustable aspect of drivers now strictly for that.

6. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't crossed over the line to adjustable drivers (yet). What I really want of the old RAZR X black drivers that I can fit an Aldila Nv 55 regular flex shaft to (the shafts are a pretty ugly green, but I love the feel)

7. TheTourVan

TheTourVan Active Member

Status Points:
    Its funny you are one of the first I have encountered that liked that driver. Callaway went through a major shift this year with their new CEO (last year) and new CMO (from TaylorMade). I think they quickly got away from that line to their current as a way to move on from the past.

I will say this though, the driver sure did look great.

8. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend of mine, also a lefty, had one and I took some swings with it and the ball just flew. As an added bonus, my slice actually could be called a fade when hitting with it. Odd I know, because they were very unpopular I agree. I just like to think Callaway had my swing in mind when they designed it. :D

9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Questions about travel: do you check your clubs with the airline, or do you send via Fed-Ex?

And, which travel case do you use?

10. TheTourVan

TheTourVan Active Member

Status Points:
    I check mine. I have a few travel cases, but the one I reach for most commonly right now is my adidas Golf one. Holds my clubs well, extra padding by the heads and has space for plenty more.

One of the benefits of adjustable metal woods ironically enough is the ability to take the head off from the shaft during travel. If you can, point the shaft tip down towards the bottom of the bag and then put the head in the head cover and inside a pocket.