Golden Tulip Flavours

Discussion in 'Other Hotel Programs' started by SC Flier, Apr 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no personal experience with this hotel chain but am starting this thread as a foundation for a general discussion of its hotels and the Flavours frequent guest program.

www.flavours-benefits.com
    www.goldentulip.com
    www.ambassadorclub.com (booker recognition programme)

Tulip Inn
    • "the best quality-price ratio for 3-star hotels, ideally located"
    • 58 hotels - 5.761 rooms
    Golden Tulip
    • "for those who love 4-star hotels with character"
    • 124 hotels - 15.852 rooms
    Royal Tulip
    • "chic and refined 5-star hotels in city centres and business districts"
    • 4 hotels - 1.089 rooms

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at a Golden Tulip in Eindhoven a few years back for almost a week and it was actually pretty decent.

The rooms were clean and service was good, even though the breakfast was "meh" at best. The shower was a funky half-glass open setup though but that's not really something to complain about.

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have stayed at the rather dreadful Golden Tulip Alia // Amman Airport, it was awhile back, but we can still remember, it is bar none our worst hotel experience ever. Despite sending us a confirmation e-mail they had no booking from us, so they claimed. Room was small and had nothing fancy at all, the tv programmes were nearly unwatchable due to quality. The breakfast was uneatable and the service was surely at best. The only thing good about this property is the free airport shuttle to flee the hotel. :(

Plus we had a few nights at their Grand Palace property in Amman proper, a only so so property. Room was large but, untidy and had an old tv and was dated, standstill in the 70 // 80s somewhere, minibar was only so so, gum on the writing paper and despite getting a limousine quote from the lobby to the airport, driver wanted us to charge much more on the airport after our drive. Golden Tulip - stay away --- NOT SO GOLDEN!!!!:mad:

4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I started to mention this when I began the thread but held off on it. In hindsight, I probably should have mentioned it up front...

In 2009, Starwood Capital (not to be confused with Starwood Hotels & Resorts) purchased 240 of Golden Tulip's 260 hotels. (News report.) The Golden Tulip brands are now affiliated with Starwood Capital’s Louvre Hotel Group. However, the Flavours program is still only affiliated with the Golden Tulip brands -- none of the other Louvre brands.

So while bad experiences in the past might still be true today, one would hope that the new owners have already made some improvements or have plans to do so. One such method of improvement could be to kick out the bad apples.

Recent TripAdvisor reviews of the Grand Palace in Amman are not great, though, so it sounds as if uggboy's experience may still reflect current conditions at that location. Since the Grand Palace does not seem to be listed on goldentulip.com, it appears to me as if it's no longer part of the Golden Tulip chain.

FWIW, the airport hotel in Amman claims a renovation date of 2005.

Flavours was started in mid-2006.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am actually Gold in this due to my monthly trips to North Holland. Hotels and upgrades are definitely ymmv.....for me it's 50-50 whether the hotels even know about flavours. But the points are ok and I've gotten several free rooms so far.

Horse and SC Flier like this.
  6. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, you can double dip in their Ambassadors program too. Although it's aimed at business more (IE conferences and such) I've gotten points on that too. Not to be confused with IHG Amabassador which is totally separate and different.

Horse and SC Flier like this.
  7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've added www.ambassadorclub.com to my first post.