Gold upgrade - that's a joke at Hamburg Marriott

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by nacho, Nov 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at Hamburg Marriott this Sunday for 1 night and we are 2 adults and 3 small kids. We should have let Mr. Nacho check in alone. Anyway when the FD saw all of us she said the max. occupancy is 4, first she said we had to buy a second room at rack rate. We don't want to pay that, so she went into her office to talk to her manager, and we were offered a EUR 40 upgrade to a larger room that can accommodate all of us. The youngest one sleeps in a crib and he prefers that than a big bed.

Originally we booked 2 double beds plus a crib and I think that should be enough. So basically we were paying EUR 40 to be able to squeeze everyone into a room.

I know that we made a mistake but still it's impossible to book 2 adults and 2 kids at Marriott.com, and once we actually called MR CS about our situation and she said you can't add children in just like that.

At CY Basel the GM gave us 2 connecting rooms as a default upgrade which was nice.

We are both Marriott Gold and as Gold we are supposed to get upgrade but obviously we have to pay for it. We got lounge access as default but the 'we'll upgrade you to the best available room' thing is practically a joke.

I asked the FD if Plats get more upgrade, and she said, 'no'. 1 cat. upgrade only.

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds not too inviting.:(

Thanks for sharing your experiences and letting us know.

3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be fair also to the hotel- particularly in Europe the number of people in the room is a key driver of the price charged to the customer- so 5 people in the room will certainly get some pushback from the property- Marriott or otherwise.

Jett Rink likes this.
  4. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do know about that and understand it too. I don't need more towels or soap. I can understand an extra adult sharing a room but I don't think kids should pay the same price as adults, especially when I don't actually need those extra towels and sheets.

Another thing I think that the EUR 40 'upgrade' is a joke because if they really stick to the max. occupancy, then they should have insisted that we have to take 2 rooms. So that EUR 40 is like a fee for them to make an exception.

What I really :( about the hotel is that if Courtyard Basel can give us 2 connecting rooms as an upgrade, why can't they? That's why we really like that hotel and it will always be our favourite Marriott.

Hilton in Germany is better about this, because kids can get a second room for half price.

Even CY Hamburg is better, once in a while we get their suite as upgrade.

FYI - the Renaissance Hamburg has also the same 1 cat. upgrade policy.

uggboy likes this.
  5. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got pretty mixed feelings as one who has fallen victim also. The max occupancy is certainly not consistently enforced. Does that make it right for us to expect that it not be? No. But it does seem punitive. If they have rooms that can accommodate more than 4, please sell them. I will gladly upgrade myself versus having to pay 2 rooms. And if the upgraded room also has a max occupancy of 4, then they shouldn't make exceptions. There is a reason for it even if I doesn't make sense to us and forces us to book at another brand.

One tip: I called the hotel directly to ask about putting our family of 5 in 1 room and they agreed to document it in our reservation. I don't know yet if the room has a max occupancy or not. But that may be a workaround in the future. If the property won't sell it online, call them and ask.

6. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank for the advice!

That's what I did with CY Basel, and I got a hold of the GM. However with the track record of Hamburg Marriott and Renaissance I don't even bother asking since I can already tell you the answer.

What chain do you normally stay with? Do you call hotels in Europe too? We did it once to a hotel in Vienna and they were so shocked to hear that we have 3 kids, and they didn't know how to answer our question.

Sometimes I think there should be a thread to show which hotels accept 3 kids in a room. I know Hilton doesn't do that. I have a hard time finding FS hotels that fits 5, a lot of the extended stays have no problem with it.

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of the non-chain hotels are more likely to have "apartments" which will usually sleep 5 without any problems. In most cities in Europe I find the non-chain hotels to be better value than the chains- not everywhere- however certainly in Stockholm, Copenhagen, most cities in Germany and France, certainly Italy with a few notable exceptions, and all of Central Europe except Budapest and Bucaresti- the non chains are the way to go for size and comfort.

8. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    booking.com is good about showing you which hotels will allow 5 people. I tend to gravitate towards Marriott when I can find them and they can take care of us, but sometimes they price themselves out of the market so booking.com comes in play.

I do call the hotels in Europe directly. We live in Hungary right now so I run into this problem quite often. Thankfully, with VOIP calling, it is not too expensive - especially compared to arriving and having to pay for a 2nd room unexpectedly!

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent advice.

10. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the bigger shocker here is that the Germans in Hamburg can make jokes. :eek:

11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I find Germans to have quite good senses of humour in reality (unless they are from certain parts of Bavaria) ;).

Sedosi likes this.
  12. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D