Gold Upgrade Chances on Transcons

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Dreamworks, Jan 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Greetings,

I am flying from CLT to SFO and decided to u/g with miles to first on the way over but not on the way back. I suppose I'll test my question. I realize that PHL or CLT to PHX are tough even for CPs to get upgrades on.

As a Silver, I just treated it as lucky if I got an upgrade. As Gold I'm thinking it might be more frequent, but should I still not expect it most times?

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope someone provides you with a specific US Airways view. I'd only say that going from 1k on UA (100k per calender year) to PremEx (50k per calendar year), my upgrades are essentially non existent (on many different routes) and I don't hope for them at all. So I'd just manage your expecations, don't expect the upgrade and if it does happen, it's gravy!

canucklehead and Dreamworks like this.
  3. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, as a tall guy, as long as I can snag an exit row window or aisle, I'm content. FC is just an added bonus.

John777 likes this.
  4. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would not plan on many upgrades on transcon routes during the week. Last year as a platinum member I was about 70% in and out of CLT and 10% through PHL

5. ramolnar
    Original Member

ramolnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a Gold, timing is a big issue. I got upgrades from CLT to SFO and LAX, but those were on redeyes and Saturdays. During business times it's likely CP-only.
    As a Gold (like I'll be in March), I would look for an A321 (the wifi planes) and book 10A or 10C. There's enough space to do exercises in front of those seats.

6. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exit row availability is a rough gauge of availability. A week and a half out, if most of the exit row seats are still available, your shots are pretty good. Also check the number of first class seats available (keeping in mind row 1 can be blocked off). Also, if you can book a low availability first class ticket, things look good.

Off peak times, gold should get you upgraded on most flights, but on heavy elite flights it's tricky. (sunday night, monday morning, thursday/friday).

In my opinion, it's much easier to get upgraded on US than UA, because they are fewer elites. There are several reasons for that, short stage length (no pacific flights), perceived lower quality premium cabins (i prefer glenlivet scotch to hot nuts), and fewer perks for top tier elites (fewer SWUs).

Dreamworks likes this.
  7. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a Platinum I had very little success with CLT - LAX ugprades on Mondays or Tuesdays and returns LAX - CLT on Thursday day or red-eye. Surprisingly, my fiance got upgraded this week CLT - LAX on the Monday 7:25AM flight as a silver. It is a crap-shoot.

I believe many of the banks and consulting firms based in Charlotte have negotiated "q-up" fares with US Airways and basically buy first class, filling up the cabin before upgrade windows even hit. By the time the upgrade window hits, only CPs are left for the gate lottery.

Dreamworks likes this.
  8. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once again, the bankers screw me.

John777 likes this.
  9. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time for 'occupy first class' ;)

Dreamworks likes this.
  10. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    How funny would that be if someone stood up in First and yelled "Mic Check"

11. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    In case anyone was curious, I got the email from US yesterday saying that my UG from CLT-DCA cleared, while the one from SFO-CLT did not.

Glad I used miles going out. The carrot cake was lovely.

12. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had about 50% success on CLT-SFO in the last year...that means 2 out of 4 cleared for me as a CP.

13. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know as a Gold. EF shows it as booked solid. I heard that transferring through PHL is even tougher to upgrade.