Gold to Platinum on United

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by unitedwefly, Oct 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. unitedwefly

unitedwefly New Member

Status Points:
    This is the first year I hit Gold on United, and I'd love to try and bump my status to Platinum before year end.

I currently have:
    Year to Date Premier Miles: 54,822
    Year to Date Premier Segments:37.5

Any suggestions on how I can get to the next level before end of the year? I do not currently have a substantial amount of travel planned.

8MiHi likes this.
  2. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's your budget?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And what's the motivation to hit patinum over gold? Getting 20k PQMs isn't ikely to be cheap so you need to make sure that the value returned is worth the investment of money and time.

The fastest and easiest way to get there is to buy the PQMs. But that will most certainly not b the cheapest cash-wise (~$2200-2500).

8MiHi and flyforawg like this.
  4. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad you replied, @Wandering Aramean, because I was about to take a page out of your book and suggest status wasn't worth the investment unless there was a big return in the next year.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only motivation I can think of is this will be the last opportunity to make and experience Premier Plat before the PQD requirement kicks in, which may be valuable in helping you decide whether it'd be worth spending $7,500 thereafter...;)

8MiHi likes this.
  6. Braintreeboy

Braintreeboy Active Member

Status Points:
    I am a lifetime gold on UAL (million miler) but will hit platinum this year. For me, the only thing I can assume will be better is that I'll be higher on the upgrade list.

8MiHi likes this.
  7. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Global Entry reimbursement if they don't already have it may add to the appeal.
    The OP might also want to mention where they are based out of to increase the chances of useful responses.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    And free changes on award tickets, and global entry credit .

9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was exactly your position last year.
    As a Platinum this year I have been upgraded over 50% of the time (under 25% as Gold in '12) which included upgrades on 3 TCTL flights and have had 'non-elite member' companions upgraded with me on several non-TCTL flights. The phone service has been better this year, but I don't know if that's been improved for everyone. I have had more than 1 companion on my pnr get E+ at reservation and have gotten the unadvertised platinum bump to E+ for a companion traveling on the same flights I am on but on a separate itinerary (not on my PNR).
    My wife's designation as my companion has added to our family miles. She earned Platinum for '14, so I have designated my daughter to be platinum for '14. This is likely to be a benefit to her as she is in college and contemplates a job search out of our area.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a few other things which are also better IMO, mostly in the form of reduced fees and the RPUs. The real world value of those benefits probably isn't a ton, but there is something to it. Figuring out what that specifically means to you personally is where the value proposition calculations come in to play.

traveltoomuch and 8MiHi like this.
  11. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The RPUs and other perks of Platinum have been well worth the weekend MR I did last December for around $500 all in. Would I spend over $2000 for the status? Probably not even though I have had a good year with it.

12. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally forgot about the RPUs, I didn't get them this year because I did a challenge but I do know they are useful. I had a buddy help me out and hooked me up with two and I'm now upgraded on two LAX-JFK PS flights in December.

Wandering Aramean and 8MiHi like this.
  13. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    The award ticket fee waiver is a pretty big deal to me. It has enabled being very aggressive with award tickets ("I might want to make this trip...."; or booking workable saver itins that I don't really want to take but then looking for last-minute space on better routings). Higher domestic u-g and standby priority is nice. And there's the 25% mileage bonus for next year (75 v 50). If you're flying a similar amount next year, that's an additional 18,750 RDMs.

Currently I'm 25K from both PP and MM, so I'll be flying to get PP for two of us, which seems even more worthwhile than flying for only my own status.

8MiHi likes this.
  14. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    Here's my recent post on mileage runs. I'm hardly an expert, but it's a starting place. If you want specific help, we need to know more (e.g. origin cities).

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/pqm-to-keep-premiere-1k.73009/#post-2193172

You mention having other travel planned: if some of those trips aren't booked, consider building them into the plan -- if they put you in cheap origin cities, fly mile runs from there before coming home? Or perhaps add segments or strange routings to those tickets (see the other thread for examples, then try it for your travel).

15. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Don't forget you get to check in and board with the over entitled 1k members as a Plat

8MiHi likes this.
  16. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    it's what you think is best for you . As you know it's time and money!!

tommy777 likes this.
  17. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    Hey! Some of us over-entitled folks are mere PP's. (Ah, for the years of 1K.... too bad GPU clearance was so broken during my last year as a 1K.)

8MiHi and tommy777 like this.