Gold Status and a few Q's

Discussion in 'Wandering Aramean Travel Tools' started by theblakefish, Jun 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. theblakefish
    Original Member

theblakefish Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a few reward searches that I want to come through by EOY and I am tired of going to ANA/UA/LH daily to perform my searches...plus, I am of the notion that UA sees a bunch of searches related to NRT-BKK, etc. every day and they reduce availability as a result...I am pretty sure they do it on the revenue search side...so anyways this is much easier! :D

Couple of questions:

1) I see that I can designate a carrier in a saved search -- can I choose multiple carriers at once or do I need to save a separate search for each? Like NRT-BKK, can I indicate UA, NH or do there need to be seperate searches for UA, and then another for NH?

2) When entering the airline, I assume that I just need to enter the IATA code (UA, not United)...right?

3) How do I add my cell # to existing and saved reward searches for SMS notification?

4) The tools say that a FC member gets 4x searches a day...at what time are these performed?

Thanks!!!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) When specifying a carrier it will only support one right now and you must also specify a flight number. Those two fields are tied together. If you specify an airline and no flight number it is ignored.

2) Yes, you need to use the IATA code. I have data validation coming to that field soon which will enforce that.

3) http://www.wandr.me/Account.aspx/MyAlerts. There is a box at the top of that page.

4) Currently they are at 3 & 9 am/pm Eastern Time.

In your specific case - NRT-BKK - I'd set the "non-stop only" option if you are willing to go with either ANA or NH on the route. If you only want NH then you'd have to specify the individual flights on the route to ignore the UA option.

theblakefish likes this.
  3. theblakefish
    Original Member

theblakefish Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I am confirmed gold status as of today, and I checked into the flights tonight at approximately 9pm Eastern and I saw availability for a few of my searches, and I have yet to receive a text message and/or an email for any of my saved searches.

Example is BKK-RGN for 1/1/2013 in C and F.

A manual search at 941pm EDT shows:

Award Search Results
    CarrierFlight #FromToDep. TimeArr. TimeEquipmentInventory
    TG 303 BKK RGN 1/1/2013 8:00 AM 1/1/2013 8:45 AM 333 YS+ YA+ CS+ CA+
    TG 301 BKK RGN 1/1/2013 1:00 PM 1/1/2013 1:45 PM 734 YS+ YA+ CS+ CA+
    TG 305 BKK RGN 1/1/2013 5:55 PM 1/1/2013 6:40 PM 333 YS+ YA+

So when I enter my phone number for the text message, I can;t seem to get a confirmation anywhere that I is confirmed...

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You're an excellent user...you found a great bug. :oops:

The confirmation that your phone number is in there is that it is shown back to you when you submit the page. If it is not there then there is no number on file for you. Beyond that you should have received a notification just now when I manually ran your search as a test and you'll get another one when the scheduled task runs again right now; I've manually forced it to go again so that no one misses an update.

5. theblakefish
    Original Member

theblakefish Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey W=A,

My alert for HNL-NRT just went off for an F Saver on my dates, and I was able to call and combine a ticketed saver reward ticket with this alert and I have it fixed!!!

12/29 MKK-HNL on Island Air in Y and then HNL-NRT-BKK in UA F for 55k and $22. AWESOME! Couldn't have found it as easily any other way...thanks for putting this together!!!! :D

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. theblakefish
    Original Member

theblakefish Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another success story:

Trying to get to SJU on a Saturday night, and all that was available was in CS* class (30k miles on UA). For that short of a flight, all I wanted was Y but ticketed the C as a placeholder on UA. Lo and behold, less than 4 hours after I set the alert this morning, an alert came my way with YS+ availability CLL-IAH-SJU, which allowed me to depart from my home airport for 17.5k and $5. I even got the redeye with this award class, which saves me a night in a hotel....what is great is that this availability came up soon after ticketing the C ticket, so I probably would not have looked again manually for a few days, thus probably missing out on this availability. It's the multi-times-per-day-search feature that got it for me here. :)

OUT-FREAKING-STANDING!!!! :D

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. theblakefish
    Original Member

theblakefish Gold Member

Status Points:
    So here's another problem/issue with one of my alerts:

I have a *A alert set for SXM-IAH, active/economy only/saver/1 pax/sms notify and not specific to an airline or flight, which was edited from an unrelated inactive search yesterday and activated, but I am getting the following auto-search results - looks like it is continuing to search for C space and not the Y-specific parameters that I established yesterday. Is there a lag time when editing a previously-saved search and activating it?

Award Search Results
    CarrierFlight #FromToDep. TimeArr. TimeEquipmentInventory
    US 1561 SXM CLT 7/5/2012 2:25 PM 7/5/2012 6:22 PM 752 CA*
    US 2347 CLT TYS 7/5/2012 8:48 PM 7/5/2012 9:42 PM CRJ
    UA 4247 TYS IAH 7/6/2012 5:27 AM 7/6/2012 6:30 AM ERJ

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't be a lag...I'll take a look at that one and see what's going on.

storyteller and theblakefish like this.
  9. theblakefish
    Original Member

theblakefish Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I have an existing search for a CLL-IAH flight to add to a larger booked itinerary for next May, and I wanted a specific flight. I went in and tried to add UA 5684 to the previously general search and I got the following...yikes!

This was an inactive search that I changed and reactivated. It was working fine when it was a general search but gives the following to me when I try and limit the search for a specific flight:

Server Error in '/' Application.

String or binary data would be truncated.
    The statement has been terminated.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: String or binary data would be truncated.
    The statement has been terminated.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How are you adding a new flight to the existing search? :confused:

11. theblakefish
    Original Member

theblakefish Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am actually reactivating an old existing search and changing the search parameters

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I made a bunch of changes to the infrastructure in the past couple days so it is entirely possible I broke something. I've sent you a PM with a few more specific questions. I think we'll get there pretty quickly.