Gold Rush -- Am I Doomed?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by lisa954, Oct 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. lisa954

lisa954 Member

Status Points:
    I've had glorious gold for the last two years, but this year I'm running short. As of Saturday I'll have 30,000 miles, with so far only 4,000 additional miles worth planned for the rest of the year.

Piggybacking on some other threads, I'm wondering whether I go for the gold or try to roll over max miles for next year (when I plan to make a couple of good trips for sure.)

If I get the Delta Reserve card (or other) now, I worry that the MQM boost won't be enough and it won't roll over and I'll have wasted it. So I'm thinking of just waiting until January to get card.

Wouldn't mind one mileage run trip, but I think my "gold gap" is too large.

Advice?

JosephMay and Kalboz like this.
  2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Singapore should get you enough. It is 20K miles from NYC, and there was a sale recently under 6c/mile

Flyer1976 and Kalboz like this.
  3. Sarah P.
    Original Member

Sarah P. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Lisa,

The first question you have to ask yourself is are you going to spend at least $5000 (not including taxes and fees) next year for Delta flights. If you are not, and you do not spend at least $25,000 on a Delta Amex card (or live outside of the US) then your rollover miles will not get you Gold Status, no matter how much you fly.

In that case, you are best off doing a mileage run this year to get to Gold. You can get the MQMs with one flight from New York to Tel Aviv, but if I hear that you went there to meet up with Dovster, I'll be coming after you with my Glock -- you bet'cha!

4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would JFK-TLV get her 16,000 MQMs ?

Kalboz likes this.
  5. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would get her 17,000 MQMs r/t, but only if she flew on a B fare or higher.

Lisa, don't worry about Sarah P. coming after you with her Glock. Let me know when you plan to fly to TLV and I will check to be sure that she is safely in Alaska.

Misplaced Texan, JosephMay and gregm like this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't she see TLV from her backyard?

Misplaced Texan and MX like this.
  7. lisa954

lisa954 Member

Status Points:
    You guys are too funny! As much as I'd love to go to Tel Aviv, it won't get me 16k miles! It does look like Johannesburg would do the trick and I'm sure anileze is right, Singapore would take care of it, or maybe other Asian destinations. It was a trip to Taipei/Hong Kong/Beijing a couple of years ago that got me the gold in the first place
    This is fun. Wouldn't it be great if there was a site where you plugged in the miles you needed, your starting point and it gave you possible destinations. There isn't, right?

Sarah P., I probably WILL spend that much on Delta flights and I probably will spend the $25,000 too. I feel like I should have gotten the card a while ago, just put it off.

JosephMay likes this.
  8. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm doing 18K domestically on MRs in the next 2 weeks. NYC-SFO-MKE this weekend (will be gold after these flights) and NYC-OAK next. Just keep a lookout for advantageous fares. Having been Gold for the prior 2 years and Silver this year, I must tell you Silver Sucks bigtime. I'm like 4/24 as a silver and was 25/28 last year I was gold. SIlver is no fun at all. Also I'm taking a real South African Vacation in december so will end the year as a plat.

As for the credit card, Wouldn't the MQMs carry over to 2014?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  9. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    Intercontinental Sandton (Johannesburg) is on the IHG Pointsbreaks list. 5k points ($35) per night. Maybe a JNB mileage run is possible for you!

Flyer1976 likes this.
  10. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too am dreading my disgraceful fall from Platinum in 2012 to silver in 2014 - gold has been fine and I certainly don't expect, nor do I receive upgrades. If I want to fly up front, I actually pay for it. But anyway, next year is going to stink big time. Medical issues kept me grounded for 8 months, therefore lost opportunities to make up the last 12,000 miles to Gold. I am so bummed. Fortunately I have a few TransAtlantic trips next year but they can't come soon enough to get back my Gold status, so until then, I'll be slumming it with Lisa954 :(

Misplaced Texan and JosephMay like this.
  11. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get a Delta Amex CC for 10k MQM if you don't have one and fly 2k. GM means lounge access on your intl trips next year and the vestiges of a once great SDC - now standby after orig departure time is GM+ only

JosephMay likes this.
  12. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    @lisa954 I see you are based in FLL. Lots of Great Mileage Runs from there this time of year.

13. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep - got one. Thanks anyway.

14. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could always go for reserve upgrade if you haven't already.

15. lisa954

lisa954 Member

Status Points:
    @JosephMay I am late to reply here (got distracted by less fun matters) but yes I'm in Fort Lauderdale. Are you still seeing great mileage runs at this point, or am I out of luck because the holiday season is approaching?

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might want to book a trip to Jo'Burg or Singapura at this point.

17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Flying xmas eve or xmas day will often get you a very good fare.

18. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL occasionally sells MQMs. Depending on the number you need, you might be able to buy them and not deal with the travel. But, Gargoyle is right - Xmas day fares tend to be cheap.