Gold requalification for 2011

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    WIll DC leave the requal at 38k? There were rumors flying around that it might move to 50k, but I'm assuming that with their announcement of no changes for 2011, that we're safe to assume 38k will do the trick?
    thx much!

2. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    We don't know. I'm not aware of any announcement saying "no changes" in 2011. We've been told that DC is "safe" for the time being and we've been told that we don't need to fear (major) changes to the redemption chart in the near future. But that's it, as far as I'm aware.

At some point, we can expect the qualification thresholds to change. We don't know that it will happen, let alone when, but it has to be on the cards. Best advice is to meet the current threshold as soon as possible, rather than leaving until late in your membership year.

TuxTraveller and flospi like this.
  3. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering, where you heard about those rumours. Even if it goes up to 50k, I am save for this years renewal, but still, as we don't know what happens after that, I might start crediting my upcoming flights to M&M...

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just hope they dont announce in July that the requal amt changes. We're already at a point of 25% of the yr virtually gone. Hopefully they will be customer friendly and if a change will happen, its for 2012.

5. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember that, as things stand, the time period that matters for your requalification is your personal "membership year". That practice could of course change at the same time any other changes are made. Or not.

Sorry not to be more helpful -- we just don't know what changes are ahead or when they might come. What we do have (DC is safe for 2011 and the redemption charts aren't about to be attacked) is pretty major.

TuxTraveller likes this.
  6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I
    I guess it is a good problem after all to look for more miles anyway!!

7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I called DC a few moments ago to inquire about seat availability on an upcoming redemption flight and thought what the heck and asked about the gold renewal. This person, who I trust and has given me very accurate info in the past, confirmed that there are no changes in 2011 for DC gold renewal miles. Granted, with a grain of salt, he may not have the best info, but he told me, that they were told thats how to answer that question. Happy Day, hopefully.

flospi likes this.
  8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It was over on the "other" site. Sometimes the BMI boards there specialize in speculation.....like a years worth sometimes!!!

9. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it was the "old" Prock-Schauer thread... I stopped reading that at a certain point, because everybody seemed to start his own rumour.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    exactly prock shauer.....That thread went on one hell of a scenic tour of mis information and off topic stuff.

11. Actually, it was me who you heard it from - and you quite catch it. Rumours circulated strongly that Gold was to increase to 50k annually during early 2010, while DC was shoring up its finances and tightening things up. Then the programme stalled - absolutely everything stopped dead when WPS dropped his clanger at the shareholders briefing - and forgot to let the DC people know he was planning to can their programme.

I merely speculated on FT that if negative changes were coming down the track that this would be one of them.

As it stands, this is baseless speculation.

12. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    fortunately everything seems to remain the same for this year, we can believe the speculation thread in q4 this yr....Glad though, will be a no brainer to renew gold.

13. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs adl73x got a bmi "your status has expired" pack today, complete with regular blue card and a form to pay to renew silver. All very well, except that Mrs adl73x never was silver. She was Blue Plus when that level went away 27 Jan 2010.

Anyway, I doubt there's any point in taking BD*S up as Mrs adl73X is already NZ*G. As far as I can see in that circumstance the only potential value of BD*S is the shorter qualification of only 39,000 status miles to Gold.

14. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    They bumped Blue Plus members up to Silver for a short while as far as I understood. That might have been why she got the pack?

Yes the only advantage would be shorter qualification if she wanted to get to BD*G, but that's only if she wanted to earn status on BD instead of NZ or wanted to have status on both. I'm not the best to compare BD*G and NZ*G so I'll let someone else comment on that comparison...

15. No, this is just un-joined-up thinking. The logic adds the Silver buy up to all members downgraded to Blue. Their database did not downgrade Blue Plus members when they abolished the tier; the effect is that all expiring Blue Plus holders (who are just Blue in reality) got the offer when their original Blue Plus year expired.