Gold/Plat elites get cont'l breakfast daily in US/Canada starting June 22nd

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by SkiAdcock, May 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    A bit surprised no one started a thread on this:

"It's a fresh perk for Gold and Platinum Elite Marriott Rewards members: Starting June 22 we will offer free continental breakfast for 2 at JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® and Marriott Hotels® across the U.S. and Canada* – every day, 7 days a week. When the concierge lounge is open, you and a guest can enjoy complimentary continental breakfast.
    And there's more on the menu. Any time the lounge is closed, you'll have a choice of continental breakfast for 2 in the hotel's restaurant or 750 points.** Outside the U.S. and Canada you will continue to enjoy daily complimentary continental breakfast. So be watching for this delicious benefit. We're serving up good mornings, free and easy for you.

*Resorts are excluded. Charges applied for additional guests.
    **A limited number of hotels will provide 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast in the event the lounge is closed."

So good news is that for those who value breakfast they'll be able to get cont'l brekkie on the weekends now, even if the lounge is closed.

Actually, if the lounge is closed they have the option of 750 points or cont'l brekkie. If the lounge is open, the 750 points option is not available.

On Marriott Insiders they confirmed the 750 points is per day if the lounge is closed or there is no lounge, not per stay. That's a definite plus.

Some properties might offer cont'l brekkie only, some might offer full brekkie for an upcharge or some might offer the full brekkie for free. I'll track that in the exec lounge sticky I maintain on FT.

Interestingly enough, the rest of world already had this option so it's just US/Canada catching up. But rest of world didn't have the 750 points option, so they're behind now.

Also, the announcement says for elite+1 guest, so for hotels that said it was for elite only they'll have to abide by it. Of course the announcement is for US/Canada only, so int'ly some could say for elite only. Could be worth arguing over.

Also, it doesn't say what the charge will be for additional guests (might be hotel dependent).

Downside is CY & resorts are still exempt.

Cheers.

MyTravels likes this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't mean to complain -- I was happy to read the news and applaud the change. I do wish they would have just agreed to keep the lounge open 7 days once again though. That would be worth a LOT more to me. But this is a step in the right direction anyhow, unless all the properties decide to just give the 1000 points to shut us up :confused:

3. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sharon, you are right about the fact that breakfast for 2 may not apply to intl. properties.

4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had good luck internationally. Not only do I and anyone sharing my room get the free breakfast, at most properties if I reserve and have billed to me a second room, the privilege extends to those persons as well.

I wonder -- if I rent a room, just me alone, and I have a working breakfast with a colleague who is not staying at the hotel (e.g., the person I'm in town to meet with), is that "guest" eligible for the free breakfast? It would seem so.

5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Domestically, when the properties give breakfast coupons I'm often just asked how many I need. Internationally they seem to be much stricter, actually keeping track of individual names even when entering the lounge, but my international experience is fairly limited.

6. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends on whether you have 1 or 2 listed in your room. If the rate doesn't change always put 2 to cover it.

Cheers.

Counsellor likes this.
  7. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's the list of non-resort properties that will give 1,000 points when the lounge is closed.

http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/05/23/...eekend-breakfast-benefit-1000-points-instead/

I've put in parentheses what they currently do per the Exec Lounge sticky I maintain on FT:

* Atlanta Marriott Marquis (closed)
    * Boston Marriott Copley Place ($10 coupon for Starbucks)
    * Boston Marriott Long Wharf (closed)
    * Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile (closed)
    * JW Essex House (2,500 pts)
    * JW Marriott Indianapolis (open)
    * JW Marriott Washington DC (closed)
    * Los Angeles Airport Marriott (breakfast coupons)
    * New Orleans Marriott (closed)
    * New York Marriott East Side (closed)
    * New York Marriott Marquis (closed)
    * Philadelphia Marriott Downtown (closed)
    * Renaissance Chicago Downtown (closed)
    * Renaissance Times Square (closed)
    * San Diego Marriott Marquis and Marina (closed)
    * San Francisco Airport Marriott (closed)

icurhere2 and bigx0 like this.
  8. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd prefer the lounges open daily as well. I tend to use the lounge more in the evening than in the morning. I posted below the non-resort properties that are going to offer the 1000 points rather than cont'l brekkie.

Cheers.

9. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In other words, some of the most popular flagship properties collectively give us the finger on weekends. It's not like these places don't all have lounges already.

I find it astonishing really that this can't be standardized across properties in the brand.

10. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd need more than 1,000 points to pass up continental (or full) breakfast for two.

11. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's only 750 points if you choose to pass up the breakfast.

It's 1000 if they don't offer it to you at all. You know, because the New York Marriott Marquis -- the number one revenue generator in the Marriott chain -- can't afford to give elites breakfast on the weekends.

12. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of the time I got the breakfast covered for the whole family (2 adults and 3 kids) - partially because we are Gold and Plat. Some hotel e.g. Grosvener Sq. only gives breakfast for the elite only, also Bochum Renaissance in Germany (I read those on FT). I'd read up on those hotel before deciding whether we'll be staying there.

Counsellor likes this.
  13. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been known to do that . . . :)

14. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually it's 750 points if the lounge is closed/there is no lounge & you decline the cont'l breakfast, with the exception of the 16 properties that aren't going to offer the cont'l brekkie when it's closed & will give you 1,000 points instead. If other properties decided not to offer it, there would only be 750 points offered.

Cheers.

15. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, thanks. I didn't interpret it that way at all.

16. Mooper
    Original Member

Mooper Silver Member

Status Points:

Can't afford to? It's a business decision regarding profit maximization. A for-profit company shouldn't give away everything it can afford to. It should give away what it deems will increase profits.

17. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My original comment was meant sarcastically. Of course they can afford it. I question the wisdom of their decisions. When a chain's flagship properties skimp on benefits I think it speaks poorly of the entire chain -- if anything the flagship properties should set the standard. I feel it's a pennywise/pound foolish decision. Clearly Marriott disagrees.

18. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if you mean to quote someone else as my post, which included your applicable quote, was regarding that I value breakfast more than a 1,000 points which you stated you'd be happy to take in lieu of breakfast.

19. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technically, isn't lounge access limited to the Gold/Plat Elite + one guest - not the whole family. So charging extra for more than one guest is in line with lounge access. Children are considered guests in the lounge and as I understand it only one guest.

This keeps making Courtyards less and less desirable.

20. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I asked on Insiders & also PM'd Marriott Concierge on FT to get info on the following:

With the new policy if the lounge is closed on the weekend or one doesn't exist, you can get cont'l brekkie or 750 points in US/Canada. Is there a reason the 750 points isn't an option for worldwide, or will that apply post 6/22 to worldwide & not just US/Canada?

Also as an fyi for others, Michelle posted on Insiders that the cont'l breakfast on the weekend will either be in the lounge or restaurant (which will be determined weekly based on projected occupancy) and at check-in you'll be given a card to check whether you want cont'l brekkie or 750 points.

Being the cynic that I am, how long do you think it will take before MRCS gets calls saying the 750 points didn't post? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cheers.

21. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Michelle on Insiders responded:

"750 points option is only for US/Canada, not intl', as most int'l properties have their lounges open on the weekend."

Not totally accurate since some int'l properties don't have a lounge, but they usually provide full brekkie so it might be a bit of a moot point.

Cheers.

22. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    New policy takes effect this Saturday. Have heard some of the FDCs don't know about it. Hopefully Marriott will get the word out soon. Be nice to the FDCs as it goes into effect; y'all know not everything runs smoothly at the beginning. Just bring out a printout w/ you to show them.

I will continue to update the exec lounge sticky on FT.

Cheers.

23. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two things:

* Reports are coming in on FT, so I'm updating the exec lounge sticky in the Marriott forum on FT w/ which properties are offering what w.r.t. brekkie.

* A FTer was told by a FDC that the system hasn't been programmed yet for the 750 points option (typical Marriott) if someone choose that instead of cont'l brekkie, so the points have to be posted manually & will delay points posting.

My guess is Marriott Rewards cust svc line will be getting calls saying my points didn't post, but then again they should be used to that given how many times the 500 Plat arrival gift points don't post!

Cheers.

24. tstephens

tstephens Member

Status Points:
    Just stayed at Marriott Islandia Long Island NY. Was offered the standard continental breakfast for 2 for free. But was also offered the full breakfast buffet for only an additional $2.50 each. Thats a great deal considering most Marriott weekend buffets go for $15 to over $30 each.

traveler likes this.