Gold on *A achieved with A3 now what?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by aaroncolorado, Oct 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. aaroncolorado

aaroncolorado Active Member

Status Points:
    I've achieved *A gold with A3 just today. I'm very excited for the international lounge access and priority check-in and boarding benefits.
    My questions:
    - Work on gold status for UA?
    - Necessary to use my A3 FF# in order to benefit?
    - Clarification on how airlines know I'm Gold Star Elite?

While I know I can redeem A3 miles the other *A partners, I am understanding it might be best if I start earning all *A miles on UA (I'm based out of DEN part of the year and have 73K miles with them thus far, not EQMs, mind you).
    I would enjoy having the chance to upgrade on UA domestic flights as well as I see myself most benefiting from redeeming UA miles for award trips.
    Would it be poor choice to start earning miles with UA since the calendar year is coming to a close soon? Best to wait until 1/1/13 to start shooting for elite status with UA? UA doesn't have rollover like Delta does, does it?

Secondly, or do I have to use my A3 frequent flyer # with all *A flights I want to enjoy Gold Star Elite benefits with?

Finally, how do airlines within the *A know that I am Gold Star Elite? From using my A3 FF# when booking any *A flight?
    Which benefits might I not be able to use since I won't physically have my A3 Gold Card sent to me for a few months? And if there are any, might I be able to get around this?

Thank you for taking the time to read over my posts and give any insight you might have!

This was my first MilePoint post! =)

NYBanker, travelinmike33 and YULtide like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming that A3's computers talk to the other computers within the alliance -- a pretty good assumption -- and that A3 has entered your *G status so that it has propagated, your boarding pass should automatically say somewhere that you are *G (something like 'A3*G' or simply '/Star Gold'). That, along with a valid ID, should get you *A benefits even without the A3 gold card. I said should because some agents might try to give you a hard time...

BTW, welcome to MP!

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never ultimately had a problem - but more often than not, I'm greeted with "What's Aegean?" in both North America and Asia. (They know it in Europe.) I kind of have fun with the agents' ignorance now.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. aaroncolorado

Status Points:
    Thank you NYCUA1K and NYBanker for your input!

Does anyone have any advice regarding my question about working for elite status with UA now that I have *A Gold through A3?
    From what I've read, as long as I credit mileage to my A3 account once or twice a year, I should be fine maintaining my *A Gold through the duration they initially grant me.
    Am I missing something or not taking something into account by thinking this is the best option for me?

5. Drobik

Drobik Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to spread rumors or lies, as I am still a bit confused about exactly how it works, but my understanding was that if you wanted to use A3 *G for club access, you needed to be crediting your miles for that flight to A3, or would be at risk of having A3 revoke your card. Though I think a workaround of sorts was to initially book with your A3 number and then change it to a different airline's FF # after you access the lounge and before you board the plane? Again, I am mostly clueless, just reporting what (I think) I have read.

Hopefully someone who knows more than I do will weigh in though!

6. jerryhung

jerryhung Silver Member

Status Points:
    I shall be A3 Gold by yearend, and from all I have read on FlyerTalk

- Yes, you need to use A3 # everywhere (at booking) to get your benefits, or show *G on the BP

- Only way to earn miles on other program instead is to change it at the gate. It may not work easily, depending on the gate agent. and once you credit to A3 you cannot retroactively credit to other program

- I've overheard some UA club reception DEMANDING a *A Gold card to get in, on top of BP. I got in via Priority Pass anyway

I flew UA with A3 Blue (*Silver) and it printed on my BP, and I did get upgraded to E+ on the return from Asia (courtesy of UA ground staff at TPE). SFO staff ignored my *S status on the departure though, but I lucked out on E+ due to aircraft change

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that this is essentially correct. The way your *G status is determined is from the FF# that you use at booking or check in. If you have *G status with A3 but not with UA, then in order to have *G printed on your BP and thus earn*G benefits, you must provide your A3 FF#. Providing your UA FF# would show you as non-*G, so no benefits...

S/he should not have demanded anything other than maybe a valid ID. Most United Clubs (UC) now just scan BPs to let people in. The scanner can determine eligibility....and then all they need to do is verify the identity and a passport usually works. But, hey, every lounge will sometimes have a 'dinosaur' manning the door so be prepared....

BTW, UC accepts only the full Priority Pass and not the "Select" kind....

8. oneluckybastard

oneluckybastard Active Member

Status Points:
    There is a facility on the A3 website to print out a temporary paper card with your number and status on it. I never required it as all my *A bookings already held the FF#, but it may come in useful in North America.

Tip: they state that the card will reach you within 2 months, but never is a more accurate timeframe. Write to customer support after 1 month and tell them that you have not received your card and they will despatch it forthwith.

Oh and FYI, I received my card in May 2012. The expiry date is December 2015. Maybe they were running the Greek economy all these years... :)

9. aaroncolorado

Status Points:
    Thank you for your tips and insight, oneluckybastard!

I looked on their website for a place to print out the card but found nothing. Do you mind telling me more exactly where you found this? I would really like to print it out like you suggested.

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA does not offer free E+ to non-UA *G or *S pax. You weren't "ignored," rather they were following policy.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to offer free E+ to alliance elites shortly before departure, if not taken by native elites or pax willing to pay. The challenge would be processing all those seat changes so close to departure.

11. hoyoto

hoyoto Active Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the tips