Gold Member: Criteria to attain this level

Discussion in 'Talk To Me' started by milchap, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every few days now I notice a member has been bumped up to Gold Member. The bump seems to be manually done as it often appears outside of the 40 minute window. I am wondering if the algorithm flags a member for candidacy to that level.
    Can someone share some light on criteria for the awarding of this level?

flyingdawg, phsu, deant and 4 others like this.
  2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    As well, how many golds are we up to? And who comprise this list?

3. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always assumed it was around ~1000SP, though clearly varies somewhat per member. All Gold’s I have seen thus far have been over 1000SP though :p

4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if members who have been very active in community building in social threads are disadvantaged because such threads are not considered valuable enough a contribution. Just a thought.....

Mangy, Chimpy and jbcarioca like this.
  5. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems to be an entirely random event, but you must be >1000 SP. Not related to number of posts, likes, or where you post. :rolleyes:

Mangy, Chimpy, Cholula and 3 others like this.
  6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed....that is why I am perplexed as to criteria. If a random event, this could cause dissent among the ranks. ;)
    On my four non profit boards, I am an advocate of transparency. I suppose that is what I am advocating here on this issue.

taiwaned, Pete, Mangy and 4 others like this.
  7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what the criteria for awarding Platinum are :rolleyes: :p So far we haven't noticed any Platinum member yet :D But I don't expect they will announce this as they always say it's not static :rolleyes:

Mangy, Chimpy, kwai and 3 others like this.
  8. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think since it is a manual selection, that it has very little at present to do with the algorithm - since if it did, the awarding would in all probability be automatic. What probably happens (and this is just imho), is that a select group of admins investigate a candidate whom otherwise qualifies for Gold (ie 1000 SP and presumably a time period on MP), and then recommends (Likes if you will) a candidate for Gold for approval.

flyingdawg, Scottrick, phsu and 7 others like this.
  9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you are on the money. :)

Chimpy, kwai, jbcarioca and 1 other person like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds spot on to me too

Mangy, Chimpy, doc and 2 others like this.
  11. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    So when will the platinum evaluation start :rolleyes: And at what rate they are evaluating these gold/platinum candidates

Chimpy and jbcarioca like this.
  12. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The downfall to this methodology would the perception of favoritism.
    And perception tends to become reality in the minds of some.

Pete, deant, Chimpy and 3 others like this.
  13. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    they admitted that this is not a fair way. Check out the reply from Mikel from the other thread.

Chimpy and jbcarioca like this.
  14. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a comment I received from an anonymous MPer in a private conversation. This is how this MPer feels about this.

15. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly !!!!!!

Chimpy, kwai and jbcarioca like this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is rather odd that experts in maximizing benefits of loyalty programs structure their own to infuriate people who only want to know the rules. Of course we will then game the system. That is what we are all about, and mp too. To not disclose the rules will rebound negatively if teh opacity continues for too much longer.

Chimpy, doc, Tenmoc and 3 others like this.
  17. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember, Randy said MP is not a game :rolleyes: (I guess FFPs were never intended to be one either :p)

Chimpy, Tenmoc and jbcarioca like this.
  18. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering Silver is ~100 and Gold is ~1000… you’re right to be suspect of where Platinum is, as you’re over the next logical step of ~10000, but not everything is logical. It could be ~100,000, or ~50,000.

Considering the amount of other things going on, the need to reach for Platinum must be very low on the list, but I do wonder, if they were to give the dog a bone, would the dog then start pining for the next 'hidden' level?

Mainly the ones posting in this thread though ;)

19. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are several members over 10000 status points. However only 1 of these people have gold status.

kwai, Chimpy and JALPak like this.
  20. JALPak Jr
    Original Member

JALPak Jr Silver Member

Status Points:
    And according to insider info, this particular person did not get the gold status through manual selection. And we suspect this person won't even be silver if it's all through manual selection :eek:

Chimpy, Tenmoc and JALPak like this.
  21. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Beta launched Feb. 4. I think TPTB expected a relatively small test group, and were taken by surprise when it went viral. Reports from the Feb. 12 LAX bootcamp were that Randy only expected very few if any Golds by the end of beta.

On Feb. 11 we hit 100 silvers, and the first person hit 1000 points and got automatic gold on Feb. 16. I think TPTB was shocked, and quickly pulled the plug on the status award so that they'd have time to reassess.They're still trying to figure out what to do.

On TOBB only a couple people have ever made evangelist (10k posts) in under six months, but we have several who've made that many posts in the first six to seven weeks here; I suspect we now have a couple dozen people with over 10k status points, a tier that I doubt they anticipated happening for months. We currently have over 30,000 members and over 300,000 posts, which could be a magnitude more than was expected. They might be concerned that it is running away from them and could get out of control.

That said, building in status as a key element of a site, and then making it seem completely opaque, subjective and arbitrary, is bound to turn some people off. The whole issue may be a very low priority for TPTB (consider the size of the Suggestion and Bug Master List, there are a lot of other priority items). However, it does seem to be a higher priority for some of the very active contributors here, and they don't find the responses to be constructive.

ralfkrippner, deant, Chimpy and 6 others like this.
  22. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure if that should be a low priority item. You can have a perfect technology but then the valued contributors are all turned off and have left. The status is just one of the problems we have on MP. Judging from the Future of MP thread, there are quite a bit of issues going on here. There are still a lot of promises yet to be delivered.

But what do I know I am just a carpenter :rolleyes: :p

Chimpy and milchap like this.
  23. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Three issues: Opacity, Subjectivity and Arbitrary. In reverse order...

1) I doubt it is arbitrary; it is probably based on whom "they" like/trust to be a higher status. So it might appear arbitrary, but TPTB are following their own plan....

2) Of course this is completely subjective (once passing 1000 SP....which probably at least 100-200 members..if not higher....already have) - and since there are so many members with over 1000 status points...the awarding of Gold to all of these people might result in the "dilution" of this award to TPTB. So the original alogorithm had to change on this....which would be fine...but then you hit the...

3) Opacity - TPTB have already proclaimed that the alogrithm and whom they like to be gold will be opaque (though they did not use that word). The Golds awarded thus far are for the most part just over 1000 SP, have done a lot (for some a majority) of posts in social threads (or even count number threads), and have added content. There appears to be no "logic" in whom gets singled out for special award - which goes back to point 1) above...it is about whom is "liked" by TPTB. And if this Liking is acknowledged as being the determining factor....then the awarding of Gold would no longer be opaque.

So....for all the complaining.....remember we were told that Likes were important in determining status. However it is not the likes we give/receive to each other.

Does this really cosmically matter? No...of course not.
    We are all free to fly any airline or join any hotel program or not participate at all....

How many here would join a program where the reward structure would favor some over others based on subjective criteria? Would one AA flyer feel something special in the air if she paid/flew 100k miles.....yet someone else who paid/flew 25k miles got Exec Plat and the 100k AA flyer still only had the lowest status level? Of course not. That flyer in question....and others once they knew what had happened....would leave

That is the risk. And that......to a site founded on being friendly.....matters...

deant, Chimpy, doc and 5 others like this.
  24. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    you meant 25k vs 100k EQPs not BIS miles right?

Chimpy, Tenmoc and Kaanapali like this.
  25. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    On AA, both BIS and EQP 25k and 100k would work in the hypothetical.

Chimpy and Tenmoc like this.