Gold Medallion, wondering about the rules for same day standby...

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Mike1625, Mar 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forgive my question, I'm new to being Gold Medallion on Delta. Got a Tampa to ATL flight in the morning, leaving at 6:20 AM, currently showing 0 open seats in F, and I'm already #6 on the waiting list (and I sure I will be dropping as more people check in.)

If I get to the airport early enough, can I go to the game for the 5:30 flight, and ask to go stand by, but only if I can clear the upgrade, or is it a take it or leave it without knowing if I will clear? I don't want to give up my aisle seat on the later flight unless I can upgrade?

Should be a simple question, I just don't happen to know the answer.

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using ExpertFlyer I see V3 availability - 3 upgrade seats - for DL1972 tomorrow. As we're inside of 24 hours, this means all medallions have already cleared, so the upgrade is pretty much assured. Your flight looks zeroed out if you're into fishing for bumps...otherwise there's upgrade space on the 5:20.

Without expertflyer, you could go to delta.com and start making a booking for the flight of interest. Since you're inside of your upgrade window, it will show upgrade available if there are open upgrade seats.

If the status quo continues, you should be able to call delta and SDC onto the earlier flight, and get upgraded.

Mike1625 likes this.
  3. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    The simple answer is No. If you just want to SDC to that flight, call 3 hours before and they can do that. Also they need to be selling Coach Seats on the 5:20a.m. Flight. Right now they are not so they wouldn't even let you on.

It is an hour flight so no food anyways.....

Mike1625 and mattsteg like this.
  4. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    V3 but Y0, and seats must be available in the cabin you purchased. Both the 5:20 and 6:20 are completely full.

Mike1625 likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point on Y being full. Forgot to check that. The whole day seems pretty tight.

Mike1625 likes this.
  6. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hate when that happens cause there is V. but that flight is still overbooked and when they look at the total number of F and Y together it is less than 0.

Mike1625 likes this.
  7. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    thank you all for the great advice ... I usually love getting the bump, but the connecting flight is to SJD (Cabo, Mexico), and I already cleared the upgrade on that one, so I wouldn't want to mess with it.

You are right, it's just an hour, so not a big deal. My thought was, if I got through security in time to make the earlier one, why not, all it would do is change the times I am in the ATL Sky Clubs.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can't hurt to keep checking starting at 2:20 am because sometimes a Y seat will open up and then you can SDC for free. Even though the flight is full, it sounds like there should be premium seats remaining since everyone eligible has been upgraded. While you do risk a bad coach seat on the earlier flight, it looks like your upgrade chances are fabulous versus a certain ride in coach on the 6:30 am flight.

Since you need to be at the airport early if a seat on the 5:20 does open up, it can't hurt to ask to get onto the 5:20 at the gate (assuming no checked bag). When most/all flights for the day are overbooked, it helps to get everyone possible on an earlier flight.

To me, your decision looks like whether it is worth waking up to call DL at 2:20 am and keep calling to try to SDC onto the 5:20 flight versus just planning to arrive at the airport slightly later as planned. When does the SC open?

Another consideration is how tight your ATL connection is. Overbooked flights are sometimes delayed also, so that if you don't have extra time in ATL, it could be smart to try hard to get onto the earlier flight.

Mike1625 likes this.
  9. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a comfortable connection in ATL, 2:20 there. I'll give a shot to go early, but no real harm if I go as scheduled. This thread motivated me to take the 5 day free trial of expert flyer .... looks like an awesome service, but I don't fly enough to justify it, or at least not to have the service running year round. Sadly, my trip home won't be clearing at the window, with so few options in and out of SJD, not much I can do about that.

Thanks again to for all the awesome advice everyone shared in this thread with me. No matter how much I think I know, there is always so much to learn.

10. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Post back and let us know what happens.

11. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Greeting from the ATL "A" SkyClub. I arrived at the Delta TPA ticket counter at 4:30 ish.... I didn't call ahead because I wasn'tsure I would arrive with enough time. The agent said every flight to ATL was oversold today, put me on standby for the earlier flight, then called the gate agent and told them to make sure they cleared me before giving out all of the first class seats. so it was a win -win. DL got an extra seat on an oversoldflight and I got to fly in F.

Thanks again to everyone!

12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    BTW, SDC stands for "same day confirmed". If you use the term "standby" the agents might have a different response, such as saying they don't do standby.

13. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad it all worked out!

Mike1625 likes this.
  14. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad it worked out. Standby is a published benefit, after all, normally for situations like this where SDC isn't available.

Mike1625 likes this.
  15. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Glad it worked out for you!

Mike1625 likes this.