Gold Delta SkyMiles CC Offer

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by PHLFlyer, Apr 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. PHLFlyer

PHLFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey everyone,

I received in the mail an offer for the Gold Delta SkyMiles CC from American Express, and I wanted to get your opinion on it. The offer is for 50k miles after 1k spend in 3 months, with $95 fee waived the first year. I was doing a little bit of searching, and it seems like the highest bonus for this particular card is anywhere from 30k-45k miles (with anywhere from $500 spend in 3 months to 5k spend in 6 months).

I don't really fly Delta all that often, but I'm thinking it could be good to pick up the bonus and then cancel or see about retention bonuses. I'd really appreciate any comments you might have, and feel free to ask me any questions that you might think important. Thanks in advance!

2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technically you can get an low level award seat in coach to Europe for 60k. With 50k sign on plus 1k from actually spending you would only need 9k more miles to hit a free ticket. You don't mention wanting status so it shouldn't bother you that those miles are RDMs versus MQMs. If you stuck to a plan of meeting the reqs for a flight, then used those points in time to then cancel the card I would say go for it. I honestly don't know if there is an issue with the points and canceling the card.
    Remember too you can use those miles to book on a Skyteam partner. 50k seems like a lot to me so it may well be worth it. Ultimately your call.
    Also, at this time, Delta miles do not expire....unless you do ;).

katstarr and PHLFlyer like this.
  3. PHLFlyer

PHLFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    TravelBear, thanks for the reply. I'm not intending to expire any time soon, and it did look like 50k was pretty significant with a low spend, so figured it couldn't hurt to pick this up. And I am not concerned about status, just the miles themselves. I need to do a bit more research, but from the looks of it (I crossposted in the Delta subforum), this is a pretty great offer. Think I will jump on it by May 20 (when Amex said it expires). If you have any other comments, always happy to hear them. Thanks!

TravelBear likes this.
  4. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wish I'd get that offer!

TravelBear and OnlyOne like this.
  5. PHLFlyer

PHLFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply Kat! Think I'm going to jump on this.

TravelBear and katstarr like this.