Gold Delta SkyMiles Amex Now Offers 30k Bonus Miles After $500 Spend

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by jblankoh, Nov 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jblankoh

jblankoh Active Member

Status Points:
    Delta just increased their bonus on the Gold Skymiles Amex to 30,000 miles after $500 in spend in 3 months (no $1 coins necessary!). Bonus was previously 20,000 miles. Annual fee is $95, but waived the first year. The card also gets you 1 free checked bag and Zone 2 priority boarding.

More info here.

2. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had this card a couple of years ago. I wonder if I can apply and get the new bonus?

miles and smiles likes this.
  3. jblankoh

jblankoh Active Member

Status Points:
    In the past Amex has allowed churning every 2 years or so. With the new stricter Amex, YMMV.

alohastephen likes this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the past, they have given the difference between what you received before and what the new offer is. YMMV

alohastephen likes this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I just don't find this an especially impressive offer, it seems to be exciting some folks but isn't one I"d personally bother with unless I specfiically needed to top off a Delta account.

6. jblankoh

jblankoh Active Member

Status Points:
    If you're in a Delta hub, why wouldn't you get this card? It's better than the typical offer. I wouldn't wish SkyMiles on anyone, but if you're beholden to them (geography; corporate deal), why not take the card?

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    If you choose to fly Delta because of their non-stop flights, and you do not have elite status, it's reasonable to get this card for savings on checked bag fees. And 30k miles with Delta are worth something. But the card is hardly at the top of my list of most lucrative even for most of those folks.

It's also no meaningfully better than other offers that have been available for awhile and are still available. See:
    https://www143.americanexpress.com/....do?partnerId=54&channel=1000&landingCode=125

Only difference with this new offer is $500 spend for the bonus instead of $1000.

8. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points: