Gold Choice Hidden Charges - Watch Out

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by ChrisUNC, Jun 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had my first experience this week with Hertz' Gold Choice program at CVG. As soon as I turned on my cell upon landing, I received a text message with the car, stall number, and Gold Choice option. My assigned car was a Toyota Carolla, but I opted for a Chevy Cruze from the Gold Choice area. I drove off the lot happy, but then....

When I turned in my car, I noticed a $5/day charge for XM Radio. This wasn't indicated anywhere in/on the car when I selected it and it was among the standard Gold Choice vehicles (not with the vehicles with upgrade fees). I asked the individual who accepted my return and she explained that I was responsible for any premium features included in the car I selected. There was nothing to indicate that this car had XM Radio (short of starting the car and flipping through the radio controls prior to driving off the lot). If I wanted to challenge the charge, I would need to go inside to speak with someone. It was early in the morning and I didn't have my coffee yet, so I decided the aggravation wasn't worth the $10 bucks (2 days at $5 per day).

The website says that Gold Choice is FREE unless clearly marked with 'per day' additional charges. So, what gives?

From Hertz Website:
    Do I have to pay for Gold Choice?
    No. When you reserve an intermediate car or above, you can switch to any comparable vehicle in the Gold Choice area at no extra cost. Specialty cars are available at clearly marked ‘per day’ additional charge in the Gold Choice Upgrade area. We also have dedicated personnel to assist with your rental or answer questions. If you don't see the car you are looking for they can help you find exactly what you are looking for.

2. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up!

I'm sure I'll see Hertz try to pull this, and more, in the future.

traveltoomuch and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We just rented from Hertz using 500 points for a free weekend day. The system allowed me to book any car available, so I booked a Mercedes E series. The print out showed that we would have to pay a total of $12.28 in Seattle. When returnng the car, we were told the points do not apply, and even though I had a printout, they would not honor it and charged us $135.00. After several calls, I was told that the charge would be lowered to the $12.28.

4. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    The rental car companies are so much worse for hidden fees and shady pricing than the airlines.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah that's terrible... I can understand how they will charge you extra for some features, but it should be clearly disclosed up front.

I guess if nothing else things would only get worse from now on... "oh by the way your car had navigation built in, xm and heated seats, so we automatically added $50 a day to your rental" -- seems far fetched, but I can see it happen in the future.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Similar thing happened to me in Germany lately. I sent an email to Hertz corporate and they took care of it (although it did take about a week).

7. Fyaric

Fyaric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hertz tries to stiff you at every given chance!
    That's why i like National you choose any car with no issues!
    Once you rent with them there is no going back!

sobore likes this.
  8. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I don't a choice when traveling on business. Hertz is our designated rental car company, so they have the exclusive right to screw us over.

9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having a tough time considering Hertz, National has been pretty hassle free!

10. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I used Gold Choice twice (once at the counter @ABQ as there were only 1 car in Gold Choice and it was smaller--the nice lady gave me an Impala LTZ with heated seats & Sirius at no charge and once in SLC exchanging a Sentra in my stall for another Impala LTZ with sunroof plus Sirius/heated seats). Was not charged for Sirius/XM either time.

I rent alot from Hertz HLE's (hertz local editions) when the price is low and there is a nice "fat" coupon floating around. I like getting a Friday-Monday rental and paying around $20ai or less after my coupon, etc. Not lately this summer as my local HLE rates have been on the high side. Maybe the price will drop for the fall season. :rolleyes:

11. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its not just when you select your car. I rented a corvette out of MCO recently, it was parked in my stall and as I was driving towards the booth I noticed the bill hanging from the mirror. It was almost 100$ more than I my quote, a look at the details and it showed they had added in the costs for XM and Neverlost (nothing like a vette with that ugly neverlost screwed to the dash).

I had to go around to the office, show my bill on my phone and get them to play with the amounts so it came down the same amount I booked it for.

12. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate when this happens. But I just ask inside and explain that this is not what I asked and they usually just say okay because they don't want to deal with it.

13. Rut Dog

Rut Dog Member

Status Points:
    These issues are usually pretty easy to resolve with customer service post rental. Handling it this way will also deter the practice, as Oklahoma City (customer service) charges a fee to the local office for a resolution (I've been told $35, but that was four years ago). So they lose the extra/ripoff revenue, and they get dinged on top of that.

traveltoomuch and iolaire like this.
  14. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do I prevent selecting a car with premium features? I have signed up for gold plus rewards and will be renting a car out of LAX. I booked a FCAR and I'm wondering if I have to go to the counter - and is it like Avis Preferred that you have to just show your credit card and driver licence and you are good to go? Anyone knows what kind of cars do they have at LAX for Gold Choice? Thanks in advance!

15. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    The answer is in your post! A car with XM or Neverlost is not comparable to those without. It never hurst to ask someone for help before you leave the lot, in order to avoid surprises. If you don't take the car you are assigned, you have the choice of taking something comparable or upgrade to something larger, more fun or with features not on a standard rental.

16. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    You missed a key point here - if there is an additional charge associated with a Gold Choice vehicle, it's supposed to be parked in the upgrade area or be clearly marked (typically a bright yellow sign on the windshield). If it's parked in the "comparable" vehicles where it's advertised that you can switch for free, there shouldn't be any additional charges. Hertz screwed up, not me.

gregm likes this.
  17. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, then I did. Then just a bit of advice: if you're not happy with the assigned car, or just want something different, go to the Gold desk and switch there.

18. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    That pretty much defeats the entire purpose and appeal of Gold Choice. :rolleyes:

It's pretty much moot at this point. I created this thread quite a while ago shortly after Hertz diet began expanding this program and haven't had any issues since.

19. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it does, but better safe than sorry.