Going to Hong Kong - What phones can I buy there, that are not available here?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Nov 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

Going to HKG after Thanksgiving and am thinking of getting a gift for someone (could be me). Anyway, I'd like to get a phone that is not available for sale here. I know that there are hundreds that are available for sale there, but I'm looking for a quad band (so it works on t-mobile). I've googled around but have not seen any specific models being discussed. Does anyone have an idea or a place where I can do some research?

Thanks!

2. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends really, there are always the manufacturer's regional sites which shows you the models that are sold in that part of the world.

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I just started digging. Good idea on the local manufacturer websites.

General_Flyer likes this.
  4. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to be of help. The new Samsung phone is coming out, and Sony Ericsson has some new lineups.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  5. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sony Ericsson and Nokia are generally underrepresented on the US market. Is there anything in particular you would like to see in a phone?

In any case, there are few phones that are compatible with T-Mobile's 3/3.5G bands. Quad-band typically refers to 4 common GSM/EDGE frequencies: 850, 900, 1800 and 1900MHz. Most phones sold today support all four for voice and low-speed data. However, UMTS/HSPA (high-speed data) works on a different set of frequencies, and T-Mobile is rather unique in using AWS or Band IV, 1700MHz for 3/3.5G - it was the only spectrum they could get. Using Android or a similar smartphone without 3G network is painful experience, so be careful.

Finally, remember that if a phone is sold well below its retail price, it's likely a fake. There are no miracles.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So in other words, you're suggesting to keep what I have and upgrade through t mobile :)

And that makes sense. After looking at various phones that are out there, I'm finding there's no advantage to getting something unique. Like you said, I may be asking for problems! Thanks for the great info!

Dennis