Going to do multiple flights CPH-MEL

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Jamesbond007, Jul 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jamesbond007

Jamesbond007 Member

Status Points:

Hi Milepoint,

Im new here, so hopefully i didn't post in the wrong forum..

I need some advice, and hopefully you guys can maybe point me in the right direction [​IMG]

Im going to be flying from CPH-MEL (with a stopover somewhere) about 3-4 times pr. year the next couple of years. Im not sure what airline to choose, and what airline has the a good reward program (since I'm going to be flying a lot of miles)/best seats - since its going to be some long hours in the air.

Im going to fly F or J. I have flown with Qatar airways in J from CPH-BKK and it was quite good - they had some nice lie-flat seats.

I was thinking about trying Emirates - but I'm not sure if the have fully lie-flat beds in J class - i know they have in F. For a novice like me, its quite hard to see what kind of miles you will get, and how many points you need to spend to redeem award tickets.

Thank you very much in advance for your input.

YULtide likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're not yet committed to any particular alliance, then the flight comfort and reasonable layover times would likely be your most important factors. I usually see loyalty benefits as a distant and uncertain factor. But once you select your airlines, you may then pick just one in their alliance to deposit your miles.

Now since you will be flying in F or J, I would expect most of your inconvenience and discomfort to come from a short range intra-Europe segments. So if an itinerary does not include any of those, it would be a major plus. Looks like Emirates would be one airline to offer such route. SQ also has a one-stop route skipping an intra-Europe segment, but with a significantly higher fare in F.

3. Jamesbond007

Jamesbond007 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply.

As you mentioned - I'm not committed to any alliance. My concern is also the seating - as long as i go in F i think all would probably have lie flat seats - but what about in J. Im pretty tall and would require some sleep so that i can be rested when i arrive in MEL.

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would probably depend on the specific flight. But all intra-Europe J are similar to coach and are not lie-flat. So with that requirement, you should definitely avoid those segments. That narrows down your options to just a few. Perhaps you could ask specifically about those flights (in airline forums), and there should be someone here familiar with them. I am guessing that all inter-continental J on your list will have lie-flat seats. (AB and similar will get filtered out in the previous step).

5. Jamesbond007

Jamesbond007 Member

Status Points:
    Yes - my problem will probably not be the first part of the trip on the way to MEL. First part of the trip will be daylight and probably be 6-7 hour flight until next leg to MEL.

My concern is, if i want to try different types of airlines i will lose some valuable flyer miles on the other hand its hard to experience seats and comfort (specially when u are a tall guy) from trip reports and youtube videos.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you say "with a stopover somewhere" do you mean breaking the journey for a few days or do you mean just the obvious fact that there will, of course, be a connection in some airport on the way since no carrier serves CPH-MEL nonstop?

If the former, I would look for an alliance that will offer a selection of interesting stopovers to choose for different trips: BKK, then SIN, HKG, maybe IST, NRT if it isn't too far out of the way, etc. I don't think you would want to visit Dubai every time.

OTOH, if you just want the shortest and most relaxing hassle free trip possible, either LH/SQ or QF/CX/BA combinations would seem attractive as having reputations for high qualify, including good IFC products. Pick an alliance and then an airline FF program for status--or commit to an independent middle eastern carrier--and try to stick with it for recognition, IROPs protection, and FF benefits. You could also credit *A to SAS if you do other travel from CPH but four very long haul IFC RTs per year should be worth more than just *Gold, so trying for HON on LH or PSS/QSS or whatever it's called on SQ would result in more CIP recognition.

7. Jamesbond007

Jamesbond007 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply.

Actually i mean both - break from the journey a day or two (depends if there is a difference in price of ticket) and just the obvious fact that there will be a connection.

I thought of trying som of the StarAlliance airlines - but they are all abit more expensive - and the question is, are they worth the extra money.

EK is about 5.500$ in J and 7.800$ for F
    QR is 5.000$ for J
    LH & SQ are about 7.000$ for J and about 10.000$ for F

Maybe i should try look for tickets from LHR og FRA - but then again, i would have to add another stop on the trip to MEL which is quite long on its own.