Going to Brazil on your way to Europe for only 17,000 miles

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by high class, Jan 21, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. high class

high class Silver Member

Status Points:
    daninstl, uggboy, MX and 1 other person like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, for starters, the title is horribly misleading. The 17k miles is the rate for Brazil to Europe, not to Europe via Brazil.

And isn't it actually 17,425, assuming you book online? It is 20,500 in the charts.

daninstl likes this.
  3. high class

high class Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stand by the title which is "Going to Brazil on your way to Europe for only 17,000 miles". The 17k represents the additional cost to get there over only going to Europe.

And yes, it is 17,425. That's the number used in the entirety of the article, I just rounded down for simplicity in the title.

daninstl, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am enjoying your blog and look forward to more. Although you could change that avatar picture! ;)

daninstl, uggboy and high class like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Really? From where? And it really is only to BCN, not to anywhere in Europe.

Still, price out NYC-GRU + GRU-BCN versus NYC-BCN. My read of the SQ chart is that NYC-BCN should be 22,500 in Y (on a partner, naturally, as SQ doesn't fly there on its own metal). Or I pay 30k for NYC-GRU + 17K for GRU-BCN.

If you want to only use SQ metal for US-Europe then the 20k JFK-FRA option exists but there's still the pesky little detail of getting to GRU to start the 17K trip. And that's still going to cost more.

daninstl likes this.
  6. high class

high class Silver Member

Status Points:
    The entire premise of the article is about piecing together three one-ways to use the cheapest way to get from each place to the next. So USA-GRU for 30k on AA, United or Delta, GRU-BCN for 17,425 on SQ, then BCN-USA for 30k on UA or AA. Such an itinerary would cost 77,425, which is only 17,425 more than the 60k it would cost to just go roundtrip to Europe from the US.

That's all based on economy. The numbers are different in business and first, but I went into all of it in detail in the article, including the fact that it only works to BCN.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    daninstl, uggboy and MX like this.
  7. high class

high class Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! And point taken on the avatar, haha.

8. SYD

SYD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good find. An interesting option for us in Oz - well at least those who have multiple miles programs who might want to do RTW.

For me QF can get me across the Pacific from SYD to HNL, LAX, DFW, JFK and SCL on QF metal. Then back from LHR via DXB. Using more points brings in other OW options.

VA is pretty crappy other than LAX and AUH on VA metal, but there are partner award options on SQ and EY. However, VA and SQ have recently implemented a bilateral miles exchange @1.35:1. At first, it doesn't make much sense, however the online saver awards with SQ are less miles than comparable awards booking through VA. Although fuel taxes are higher.

Anyway, an RTW option would be SYD-SCL on QF. Make own way to GRU on LA (or possibly on QF points). Take SQ GRU to BCN (one of my favourite Euro cities), then there are several options home with QF, VA or more SQ. In my case, I have UA miles to play with also that could help repositioning in Europe if one way fares are problematic.

The only downside is I have no reason to go back to São Paulo...:oops:

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But USA-Europe is cheaper on SQ, the very program you're suggesting using to "save" points. :confused:

daninstl likes this.
  10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you would have much higher YQ on a USA-Europe award on SQ though wouldn't you? That's part of the reason to route through Brazil and to only do this route East bound.

Newscience likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As opposed to on an SQ award US-Brazil??

12. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that would be true as well :) I think his point is that you are doing separate awards for some carrier for US-Brazil and then SQ out of Brazil to avoid the YQ due to the departure rules there like people do with Avios, etc.

It doesn't work well for me because I like to fly Business or First and my understanding is that these SQ routes don't have the nicer suite cabins so what is the point unless you just want to go to Brazil. Also I don't have a current visa for Brazil so the stopover isn't attractive to me and finally I can fly round trip from nearly any major airport in the US to most major Euro airports on AA/US for 100k in a Envoy/Business or First. I appreciate his blog post on this though.

I like to think outside the box on stuff like this. Yes I'm still trying to figure out a way to use my BA Travel Together ticket with no YQ. I would think your group over at Dots,Lines and Destinations would have that whipped by now :)

high class likes this.
  13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not a bad idea, but I agree the presentation could be clearer. Also I think you are somewhat taking for granted the appeal of stringing together elaborate circle-trips etc. and may not be focusing on (or are taking for granted) characteristics of this arrangement that may advantageous. I think the real appeal is more niche, and an overreaching headline may just mislead rather than entice.

But then again I'm a boring literalist. I'd also say if you want to round, at least round to 17k rather than 17000, or even better 17.5k.

Useful to note that you'd need to position anyway if you wanted to fly SQ, redeem online, use their award chart, etc. for most origination airports. This really eats into their overall utility, especially for economy redemption where positioning can be expensive relative to the flight redeemed for, but *if* the destinations are all of interest, then you're subbing in an international positioning flight for a domestic one.

Overall a routing I consider a bit cute, and maybe interesting, but the interesting parts weren't really covered.