Going mobile: Travel's eventual high-tech future

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Feb 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/03/us-travel-technology-airlines-idUSTRE8121ET20120203

Welcome to the airport terminal of the future.
    There are self-service bag drops but no check-in desks. Your passage is seamless, punctuated behind the scenes only by discrete Near Field Communication (NFC) sensors.

Occasionally you stop to scan your NFC-enabled smartphone at a touch point. Your biometric information, picked up by automated surveillance cameras, will ensure there's no need to queue up to see whether you pose a security threat.

This is where travel needs to be, say technologists who also insist that their wizardry, if employed universally, could solder together the jagged edges of the industry.

Read More:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/03/us-travel-technology-airlines-idUSTRE8121ET20120203

2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    seems like science fiction to me and will waste a huge amount of energy while leaving humans unemployed

3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, the latter is the main reason airlines will want to do it. If there's a tangible money-saver to be had here, airlines WILL do this.

My guess is the only reason airports haven't embraced it yet is because there's a cost involved. Most airports are more focused on things like cramming in another Hudson News or Chili's Too to fortify the bottom line.

sobore likes this.
  4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Security. Something NFC has not had a long enough track record to prove it has.

5. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    NFC-enabled smartphones? Meh. In our lifetimes, I predict we'll all be NFC-chipped.

6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    My cat is already chipped, why not me? It's interesting and a bit creepy. :eek:

7. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe Hyatt has a program where, at some of their newer properties that have "keyless" entry to the rooms, their very best guests get a permanent keycard they can use and bypass check-in (they just get a text with their room number when it is available and the room is programed to accept the guest's keycard).

I could see hotels using this technology to create a check-in app that sends a NFC key to the phone to use instead of having to stop at the desk to get a key. That would seem to be a really easy implementation.