Going for AA Exec Plat ! - Mileage Marathon time

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by zebraitis, Sep 20, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    Folks,

I've been Exec Plat for some time with AA. But this year, there's been a lull I'm my travel. I'm going to do some mileage running to keep my status in 2018.

My variables:
    1) I'm in Denver, so all travel should start and end there
    2) The flight needs to be an AA ticket, even if it's a different OneWorld carrier's metal.
    3) I'm looking for cheap flights with LOTS of miles.
    4) I want just enough time to grab a shower and a meal in the place that I am going, and fly back. However, likely I'll spend at least a day or two there. :)

It looks like I need 3 or 4 really-long-haul-flights to make it happen... but I'm cheap, so the lower the ticket price the better. (I can use a system wide upgrade to try to make a better class happen.

sidebar - yes, I already have Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Silver, so I am maximizing the EQD and EQM from those two sources.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  2. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    OK - just booked my first ticket: Shanghai !

[​IMG]

* Oct 20 / Oct 23
    * DEN-LAX-PVG-DFW-DEN
    * $663.00 / person
    * 15,328 Elite qualifying miles
    * 573 Elite qualifying dollars

I'll have to get a Chinese Visa, unless I throw a side trip into the mix while there.

Addendum: Ooof !!! :confused: While there are some Visa avoiding strategies (involving transfers, etc.), China only does visas at a few consulates in the US, and no mail-in business. Since I'm in Denver, that means working with an expediter. 2 visas @$140 each, plus fees = $450 (Thanks to Mile High Visas!!! Turnaround was shockingly FAST!).

We have applied for a multiple-entry 10-year tourist Visa... A good deal if one of my other milage runs are back to China... which is likely. Especially good if I return for another mileage run next year.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  3. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    Just re-booked flight #2: Bangkok !

[​IMG]

Originally I booked this as a quick turn, but as I'm traveling with my wife, we thought we would see a bit more of Bangkok. So, leveraging the AA 24-hour no-penalty cancellation, we expanded the time in Bangkok. This may allow us to make it down to Phuket.
    [​IMG]

* Nov 24 - Nov 30
    * DEN-ORD-NRT (transfer) HND-BKK-HND-LAX-DEN
    * $802 / person
    * 19,214 Elite Qualifying Miles
    * 670 Elite Qualifying Dollars

With just over seven hours to get from NRT to HND, that's plenty of time to transfer AND grab sushi for dinner in Tokyo!
    [​IMG]
    Shibuya, y'all !

4. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    Thought I found an interesting trip 3:

Oct 13 - Oct 16 / DEN-CLT-JFK-LGA-EDI-JFK-ORD-DEN / $665
    [​IMG]
    When you add up the miles, it's only 10,549 EQM for an 8 leg trip... My target to hit after trip 1&2 is to earn 30,640 ... so better to do two LONG runs rather that three shorter. (Although an Edinburgh overnight would have been cool.)

Keep looking. :)

5. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't you also needs EQDs (along with EQMs)
    good luck

zebraitis likes this.
  6. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you are right. With the Barclaycard AAdvantage Silver and $50K spend, they award $6000 EQD, so I'm more than halfway there. Throw in a bit of legitimate business travel already done ('cause I DO have a job), and I'll have that covered.

alfagirl likes this.
  7. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I forgot to mention Trip Zero: Roanoke!

[​IMG]

* Sept 22 - Sept 25
    * DEN-CLT-ROA-CLT-DEN
    * 3,696 Elite Qualifying Miles
    * 672 Elite Qualifying Dollars

Going to a wedding. Sure, western Virginia is not as exciting as the other runs, but it is a cross country flight so EQDs and EQMs count!

Surprise: I was able to book my wife's round trip ticket for 15,500 miles. (AA discounted monthly destination, 7500 miles off with affiliate CC, 10% miles back with affiliated CC)

But me? $750. Working to earn those EQD's !!! (... and getting in two Hilton nights to make the dash to Hilton Diamond)

8. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    You know, it's funny, but I'm not even considering the award miles I'll earn on these trips. :confused:

I don't even want to think what math that would be... ((Fare + Airline Fees) - Govt taxes) x bottom-of-the barrel class multiplier x 11 Exec Plat multiplier x shoe size... :)

Still... it's not about the awards miles, it's about keeping EXP for 2018 ! :D

9. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    Two more posts / messages before I can post pictures. Yippee!

[​IMG]
    As you can see... I hit ten. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  10. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I appreciate the invitation... and I have created a quick message there:
    https://insideflyer.com/forums/threads/aa-exec-plat-saying-hi.138742/

But this is ALL about the mileage run ... or in this case, mileage marathon.
    (sent from 7A, coach. I upgraded my wife to first... Happy wife... :) )

Addendum: I liked the idea of "mileage marathon" so much, I changed the name of the thread

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  12. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    Booked the third trip - Chengdu !
    [​IMG]

(wait... what, where? Oh, China again.)

* Dec 7 - Dec 13
    * DEN-LAX-HKG-CTU-HKG-LAX-DEN
    * $530 / person (no, that's NOT a misprint !)
    * 17,032 Elite Qualifying Miles
    * 435 Elite Qualifying Dollars (... probably.)

So that is a trip to see the Pandas and have some Sichuan food for two people for just over $1000. Clearly - Google Flights is your best friend. :)

Addendum: Using the AA 24 hour change option, I was able to get an overnight in Hong Kong raising the ticket cost up $260.00 per person (for a total $790 per person). Still a great deal.
    [​IMG]

I hope to move that departure from H.K. to later in the day so it becomes two days, one night in H.K.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  13. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    So far... What does this mean... if I do this, will I make it?

EQM's - GOAL 100,000
    Today, I have 38,887 miles. Adding the return from western Virginia, and the three long-haul flights and an additional 5,000 from Barclaycard Aviator Silver... that will bring me to an estimated 96,469 EQM. ... probably.

EQDs - GOAL: $12,000
    Today I have 7,106 (that includes an already awarded $3000 EQD from Barclaycard Aviator Silver). Adding the return from western Virginia, and the three long-haul flights and an additional 3,000 from Barclaycard Aviator Silver... that will add $5050 EQD and bring me to an estimated total of 12,156 EQD. (I had overlooked that EQD = base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, which are applied for fuel or whatever on international flights.), so that should put me over that $12K number.

With this estimate, right now, I'm short EQM... but within a reasonable target.

alfagirl likes this.
  14. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    Booked the 4th trip - LAX for the weekend !
    [​IMG]

* Sept 30 - Oct1
    * DEN-LAX-DEN
    * $72.41 / person -- $144 for both (Roundtrip!!! No, NOT a misprint !)
    * 850 Elite Qualifying Miles
    * 42 Elite Qualifying Dollars

This should be an interesting experience, as this flight is booked in AA Basic Economy. :eek:

If you click on that link, you see it's pretty restrictive... unless you are an elite member or have the right credit card (so, yes on both). Still, no free pre-selection of seats (unless you wish to pay extra) or upgrades. Seat assigned at check-in by AA, and no guarantee of together. But as an Exec Plat, re-checking in at the First Class line in DEN, it will likely be good seats, together by the time we are done.

The EQM and EQD are cut in half because... well, that's the rules of the game. But since I want to make sure that I'm over the top of the requirements, why not spend a day or two in Hermosa Beach! :cool:

PRO TIP: Renting from Avis for this three day weekend through American Air gets me a car all-in for $100, PLUS as an EXP you earn 1,250 award miles (which is more than the air award miles I will earn for this trip). And since LAX is an Avis Select and Go location, our subcompact became a nice mid-size SUV. Details at https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/miles/partners/cars.jsp

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    brodyf likes this.
  15. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    As this is a number game, a quick double check of goals after Roanoke:

Today's EQDs = 7,414

Add Shanghai (573) + Bangkok (670) + Chengdu (435) + Los Angeles (42) + Barclaycard Silver (3000)

Estimated finish: 12,134 EQD (which hits target!)
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Today's EQM = 40,735

Add Shanghai (15,328) + Bangkok (19,214) + Chengdu (17,032) + Los Angeles (850)+ Barclaycard Silver (5000)

Estimated finish: 98,159 (which is 1,841 miles short of target.)
    -------------------------------------------------------------

While all this can change, looks like one more cheap domestic flight will lock it in. :cool:

(FYI: Numbers change because if I make a change, then AA has to use an estimate because their system does not easily track changed trip EQD and EQM. I'll update as I have official numbers after the flights).

alfagirl likes this.
  16. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    okay, you inspired me.

booked LAX-PEK for $550, all in. 12/6-12/9....

brodyf and zebraitis like this.
  17. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    Just saw that I received an additional 5000 EQM from Barclaycard.

So that means that I have received the total 10,000 EQM from Citi and the 10,000 EQM from Barclaycard.

(It's nice that Barclaycard awards in partial amounts... halfway there... half of the award. with Citi, you get nothing until you hit the requirement. I look forward to getting that additional Barclaycard 3000 EQD yet this year.)

That brings today's count to:
    EQD: 7,456
    EQM: 46,585

If I were to stop here for the year, I would end up being Gold. That won't do.

It is astounding that the three long haul flights will make that substantial of a difference.

alfagirl likes this.
  18. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    A word about upgrades:

You know... back in the day (like 10 years ago)... as an Exec Plat, I could almost always count on a free courtesy upgrade internationally to Business Class if the seat was available at time of departure. Living in Brazil as an E.P., I appreciated how often this happened, and that is one of the items that bonded my loyalty to American Airlines.

[​IMG]

Well, those days have changed... I just finished some calls looking at upgrade options.

As an EP, I have 4 system-wide upgrades. (The days of 8 systemwide upgrades ended in 2016, except by adding much MUCH more miles per year - "You can earn up to 4 more systemwide upgrades; 2 at 150,000 EQMs and 2 at 200,000 EQMs.")

Doing an upgrade on a paid ticket, the Asian upgrade option is 25,000 miles and $350.00 Now that doesn't seem bad, but that is per person, each way. So, if we clear to business on one of those trips, that means 100,000 miles and $1,400.00 :eek:

Kinda blows the whole "cheap" concept of this mileage run, but still substantially less than buying a business class ticket.

So, here's what we're doing:

Shanghai - since there is only one long leg and it's a quick overnight turn, we'll do this without an upgrade. We grabbed two seats in the back (29A&C) which SeatGuru said is more roomy than the "better" coach seats up front. Room on both sides, window and aisle together, with no bathrooms in the back of this craft (so no lines), and enough room not to get bumped by the cart. I'll let'cha know how that works out.

Bangkok - This is a two long-leg flight, so we'll use the systemwide upgrade on the American metal. JAL Tokyo-Bangkok-Tokyo will be coach.

Chengdu - This is also a two long-leg flight. Since the systemwide upgrades are gone, then it's a miles and $$$ upgrade for American metal as well. Hong Kong- Chengdu-Hong Kong on Cathay Dragon is coach.

Of course, the last two are pending... IF American releases inventory for upgrades. But it looks good. At least today.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    brodyf likes this.
  19. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    Hey campers...

We are within 24 hours of our fist big trip.

AA was nice enough to upgrade Sandra and I to First in the Domestic DEN to LAX leg (it's one of those new configurations that only has 8 seats in First). As an EP, my up was complementary, Sandra was 2 @ 500 mile "stickers". The two 500 mile adds were $40 each, driving up the trip cost a bit more.

(As I had lost some of my complementary system wide upgrades last year due to non-use, AA was nice enough to drop a few 500 mile stickers on me for upcoming flights)

As an EP, flying internationally, we have access to the Emerald / One World First Class lounge in LA (Quantas First Class Lounge) and in Shanghai (Cathay Pacific & Air China). Looking forward to that !

Wish us luck!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017 at 7:33 PM
    gypsy_sky, Pizzaman and brodyf like this.
  20. zebraitis

zebraitis Member

Status Points:
    The good: The Quantas first class lounge rocked. The flight attendants on the AA flight to Shanghai were caring, but very very busy.

(Although there was one that definitely reminded me of the song by The Replacements: "Waitress in the Sky")

The bad: whoever thought that the two seats in the back of that flight was roomy never went transpacific... or must have been a midget.

The ugly: I ended up having some sort of stomach flu / creeping-slow-death on the flight. So bad, an out-of-body experiences. The flight attendants were kind enough to let me lie down in their duty row and try to get some sleep.

One full night of sleep in a bed, and I am back to 100% :)

Shanghai is culture shock but very cool. Staying at the Renaissance Putuo and the staff has exceeded expectations. Afternoon of sightseeing, with a spa /massage this evening.

Your web experience is totally farked: No Google (no Google search, no Google maps or no anything Google-ish), no Facebook , no Twitter, no whatever the government doesn't like. This place is like Alice in Wonderland where capitalism has gone down the rabbit hole.

Pro tip: bring cash. Credit cards acceptance is limited. And don't expect your ATM card to work in the machines. Taxis will need to know where you are going written in Chinese or you are in for a tour unexpected. We took a standard taxi from the airport, passing by all the limo drivers hoping to make a quick buck... a two hour taxi ride from airport to hotel was 250 RMB (about $40 USD)

And yes, already called AA and asked to be added to the standby list for an upgrade on the trip back. Sometimes 50,000 miles and $700 is actually a bargain.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017 at 8:23 PM
    gypsy_sky and brodyf like this.