Going fancy. Getting a Tumi. Where at?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by HouseofV, Jul 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    Currently in Miami. Trying to be like the cool kids. Any current great deals around? Discounts?

Any online mall where I could get the biggest bang miles for my bucks?

Thanks.

2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try evrewards to see which online mall provides the best rebates/miles/points for shopping at Tumi and the other luggage/bag stores.

3. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    They pop up on those various "high end" deal of the day sites from time to time. I think my husband snagged one last time Gleff posted about one of those sales. ;)

Max M likes this.
  4. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen them on Gilt and RueLaLa before. Perhaps try a department store with sales going on (Nordstrom had the men's half yearly sale that may still be running). Also, don't forget to try Tumi itself. Maybe they're having a clearance on some items or if they operate any outlet locations.

5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    saw a carry-on on clearance at the outlet in Destin a couple months ago. Only $500. Retailed for $1200.

sure...

6. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only $500?? well, Ah Hum, retail at 1.2K makes me wonder why, even at .5K, us older persons would want our carry on to out-live us??? My $50 Travelers (Walmart) is still going, for now onto 12 years. Yes, its worn (So am I) the wheels squeak, (so do my knees), and I've had to fix the handle with a nut and bolt, (handles hurt too) but, Hey $50, Not a $500 price tag.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't see myself ever paying $500 (or heaven forbid, $1200) for a carry-on bag.

8. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait till they take it away from you and put it in 'checked baggage', for what ever reason. I can tell you, those gorilla's that are dressed as humans, throwing that $500 bag around, will make it look worn, real quick. You do know that they work cheap, cuz they are gorillas, in human costumes, All they have to pay them are bananas.

9. Theweeklyflyer
    Original Member

Theweeklyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is my worst nightmare for my briggs and riley...:)

cvsara likes this.
  10. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I'm looking on another machine to find the pics of a carry on that was taken away, at ORD, (No more rome in the overhead) (BS) and delivered, with a smile, 2 days later to our condo on OGG (Maui) Wadda mess. Gorillas, I say.)

Theweeklyflyer likes this.
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I took my fancy suitcase on a family trip to Colorado. Megan's dad put it on the luggage rack behind the van (which is fine), covered it in a tarp (which is fine), and then tied it down (still fine). Except he had one of those strap+winch setups and got it so tight it it compressed the bags by another foot. I still have a permanent mark on my bag from the strap.

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last season closeouts can be up to 40% off -- as true at Nordstrom as at Tumi.com -- sometimes they have different stuff available, though. linky link.

Three of my four bags are Tumi Vapor. I have a small Samsonite spinner (smaller than any of the Vapors) too, though.

13. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hum, you were the pilot, I would assume, your car/truck/SUV. Who did the stacking and packing? Maybe a better job of that, then no marks. So not an AA / UAL induced problem?? And here I thought it was just those gorillas that made things bad for our carry ons. ;) But it didn't fall off, and thats a good thing.

14. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has any mention been made on the box regarding Andy Griffith passing, yet?? A wonderful man, and great actor.
    So, with that said, we will all pass, as Andy Griffith has, but Sheriff Andy Taylor never will.

15. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    A sheet of graphene wouldn't have fallen off.

16. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Tumi is on sale for sure, because it's not hot anymore.

Rimowa, baby!

17. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two words......Eagle Creek. I have had their stuff for years and love it. I considered a Tumi bag recently wanting a smaller personal item...ended up with Eagle Creek.

18. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bought a Briggs and Riley specifically so I wouldn't have to worry about checking it. It looks "normal" enough that no one realizes it's a premium bag, and it rolls and packs pretty great. Also, the first time something breaks, off to the repair shop I go to get it fixed for free.

I'd skip out on TUMI and get a bag like Briggs and Riley or Eagle Creek that doesn't scream, "Look, I've got a really expensive piece of luggage" and has a solid warranty. There are close out sales on each that are pretty good, especially if you shop online.

19. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rimowa would be my choice over tumi.....

20. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    My husband's Tumi and my Briggs and Riley both don't look fancy at all. They are just really functional. They are also both carry-on size, so they don't get checked that often. Neither one was anywhere near $500.

Max M and Theweeklyflyer like this.
  21. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm much more concerned that my bags hold up, won't break a wheel if/when the gorillas toss them around, roll easily, stand up on their own with good stability, etc. than whether they look worn. $500 may be overkill for a carry-on sized bag, and the lack of ironclad warranty on the Tumi bags turns me off, but the $50 bags I've seen have not convinced me that they were up to performing these tasks at a high level even from day 1.

22. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    My $65 Swiss Gear bag from WalMart of all places, has been awesome. ;)

23. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had a Victorinox for about 10 months. Is trashed now as a carry-on 85% of the time. I had some other non-brand before and lasted 1 year.

So I have spent about 200$ in two years on crap that no longer works.

Willing to spend ~300$ for something more 'permanent.'

PS. Unbelievable. My most popular Milepoint thread is about purchasing a bag.

rwoman likes this.
  24. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    B&R is definitely not a premium bag. With the handle built on the outside still in 2012 making the 22" not fit in wheels first on any narrow body, it's not the bag you want to choose (look out if you see m on a plane and put your carry on in sideways because it doesnt fit ;)) If you want a bag in that caliber, go with Travel Pros crew 9 series and save yourself a 100 bucks for better quality (Travel Pros also have lifetime guarantee)

25. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I LOVE my Briggs and Riley carry-on, but Tommy is totally right that I have issues fitting it correctly on UAs Airbus planes with the smaller bins. That said, I've sent my bag back twice for repairs in 5 years and their customer service and repair place is amazing. One time they did my repair the next business day because I had another trip and my expansion arms broke. They also tend to upgrade parts (handle padding, zippers, etc.) when they repair the bag so it always comes back "enhanced" (in a good way). It has been checked at least a couple dozen times and never seems to break. I do have a couple grease stains from (I'm assuming) the baggage system.

The repair process is simple although you do pay shipping to the repair facility (they ship it back for free). Fill out a form that you get online, put it in the bag, put the RMA number on the outside (I just put it on the shipping label) and send it in.

I'm waiting for them to come out with new lines...but would never stray from B&R because of their customer service. That means the most to me.

snugglening likes this.