GoGo $1.95 on AA - Is This New?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by kansaskeith, Jan 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plugged in my iPhone for a DC charge on a 54-minute MD-80 flight, having no intent whatsoever to buy surfing on such a short flight. Well, the charge turned the iPhone on, so after I rushed to go into 'Airplane Mode' I decided to see what GoGo was charging for such a short flight. To my amazement, and different from last time I checked on this route, there was a $1.95 option for 15 min. So I bought. Got unplanned biz from me, thus sounds like good marketing. Is this option new?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

sobore, MLW20, _kurt and 5 others like this.
  2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Havent noticed this before.

3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it must have had some success during the test, because it was back yesterday, on a non-holiday weekend in January, for that short flight, and it got my money! (That 54-min. flight was into DFW. The connecting flight out was three hours, also offered GoGo, but the 15-minute option was not available -- just $7.95 + tax for the length of the flight.)

SC Flier likes this.
  5. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never tried GoGo on a flight. I was wondering how the internet speed was?

6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seemed okay on both flights yesterday, though I wasn't doing anything particularly intense. Back in April I was on a DFW-LAX flight with my iPad, and over New Mexico I saw the App Store was saying I needed to download 8 app updates. It was so slow I swear I wondered if it would finish by the time we reached L.A. (It did.). Don't know if it was just a bad day or what. Anyway, okay yesterday. Maybe somebody else on here can provide more empirical info.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basically, based on reports I have read it's very much a case of YSMV (Your Speed May Vary).

My only experience was on VX (as my chosen carrier, UA, is mostly GoGo-free). Flying from LAS to SFO, I could not get ANY connection beyond the on-board Gogo server until we were over the central valley (ie beyond the sierras). Then it was pretty much time to shut down, so I was just glad it was during one of those "free thanks to Google" periods.

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Saw the $1.95 option today ORD-DCA. I'm on a monthly plan so no difference here. But any additional usage didn't degrade performance. Real performance issues last month, but not so far this month on my flights.

9. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yeah, I've heard of this plan. they (gogo) have been trying all manner of options/plans to get adoption to tick up. It remains pretty low and is lower than a year ago - when I think there were a lot of promos.

10. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense. If they are running a free promo, then you are going to have lots of more people trying it out. When they charge higher fees, less are going to try out the service.

11. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well these people must be trying all sorts of price points to make sure their enterprise is a "Go"(go).

That outbound leg Saturday afternoon where I was offered, and bought, the $1.95-for-15-min. option for my iPhone/wi-fi was a less-than-an-hour flight: ICT-DFW.

Tonight, coming home, on the exact same AA MD-80 route except northbound rather than south, it gave me two options on my iPhone: $4.95 or $7.95, both for the duration of the flight. I bought neither.

Why someone would pay $7.95 for what appeared to be the same service as the $4.95 was beyond me, but my point in posting this is that the $1.95 which was such a pleasant surprise three days ago was gone today.

Don't know if it is because mid-week vs weekend or whether Go-Go is having trouble getting its act together. But since they also appeared to be offering two identical pieces of service for different prices (unless I missed some detail), I almost wonder if it is the latter.

12. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was really excited to hear that Gogo was charging $2 for 15 minutes of in-flight WiFi. That is exactly the sort of value that would get me to purchase it -- until you mentioned that the flight was only an hour long!

I can see myself purchasing the $2-for-15 option half-way through a 6-hour transcon. I don't need to pay $8-12 for 6 hours of constant connectivity (most of which is spent idle). I can log on, sync my news and email, and log back off. I can use the downtime to read & reply offline, then sync again (for free) after I land.

But on an hour flight? I can just wait.

I wish that Gogo would try to provide real value, because at the prices they charge, I'll never make use of it except during the free promotional periods.

13. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I admit that this past weekend, i did buy a month long pass, mainly because I have a lot of wifi equipped flights, with the shortest mainline flight being 2 hours. I paid the extra for any airline because one of those segments is on DL.

14. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Honestly, I don't know why we all don't setup a gogo monthly/annual wifi sharing service.

15. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    To quote Richard Nixon on the once secret tapes discussing the yet-to-occur mess/coverup/crimes that followed Watergate:

"We could do that!"

But his next sentence on the tape, his defenders pointed out later, was: "But it would be wrong."

As would this, sorry to say!

SC Flier likes this.
  16. Gogo

Gogo Z Representative

Status Points:
    I do ;)

sjlacour and SC Flier like this.
  17. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw similar pricing on a short hop on US. Though it was $2 for 15 minutes of internet. The slogan was something along the lines of "sometimes 15-minutes is all you need".

I actually thought that was a pretty good deal if you just wanted to download and send off emails you had been working on.