Gogo’s Grip on In-Flight Wi-Fi Is So Big It Could Be Unlawful, Judge Rules

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by uggboy, Feb 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gogo’s Grip on In-Flight Wi-Fi Is So Big It Could Be Unlawful, Judge Rules

[​IMG]

Sammich, sobore and MSYgirl like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What the judge actually ruled is that the case can go forward and the plaintiff can try to prove the claim. The judge didn't actually say anything about whether the claim was true or not.

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad the judge ruled that the case can go forward, now we will see what happens next. It's a good case, the industry needs some competition.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are at least 4 major players in the space. That's healthy competition IMO. The part where demand is very, very limited doesn't help. The infrastructure required only amortizes with a large install base and with the level of competition out there it is not clear that all can be successful.

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's nevertheless a case that Gogo seems to dominate. While 4 players sound on paper like competition, it all depends on what access they have, what access they offer, in which markets they operate and which pricing model they follow or offer. It's more complicated IMHO. It's not good enough that things "look" good, it's more important that people who use a certain service get real value out of it. It's time the consumer gets her/his power back.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was only speaking about the US market - where this suit is focused - in talking about the 4 providers. All are actually installed on planes flying from a major airline today. Most have contracts with more than one airline (I don't believe Row44 does, but Alaska Airlines' CEO said earlier this week he'd likely reconsider their platform as it matures).

Yes, pricing will vary. So does the suite of services offered. That IS competition, isn't it??

7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for pointing this out to me.