Goal: AA Lifetime Gold

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by scotchjeff, Jun 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. scotchjeff

scotchjeff Active Member

Status Points:
    I think my goal is AA Lifetime Gold...I live in Dallas...AA flies everywhere. I have my own company and spend about $20K/month. Can I get the Starwood AMEX and then transfer the miles to AA? I would get 1.25 miles on the transfer...I only need 750K more to hit the 1mil mile mark? Can this be done? Not to mention when you convert AA miles to first-class and over seas flights the bang for the buck is huge.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hey scotchjeff, welcome to MP. :)

Lifetime Gold is an admirable goal and certainly an attainable one. Many of our members are Lifetime Gold or Platinum on AA already.

The Starwood transfer would count for your lifetime count.

Here's a LINK to a thread in the AA forum about rumored changes that might come to the Lifetime program and how some members are going about getting miles quickly. It's 10 pages of information that goes back a few months, but it's worth the read if you're serious about lifetime status, earning miles, or even knowing how things might change in the next few months.

On a side note, if you want to mingle and chat with fellow AA fliers, here's a LINK to the general AA forum where you'll find all sorts of AA specific conversation. American Airlines even has an official representation on the forum and interacts with members there. They posted a preview of a new guide they are publishing in July that might help you find new ways of earning miles toward your goal. Here's a link to the thread with a PDF of the document: LINK.

Again, welcome!

hulagrrl210 and NYBanker like this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, to expedite this...have you signed up for the Citi AA cards?

4. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is doable and I suggest that the Starwood Amex is the best vehicle, although the Aadvantage citicards have some nice sign up bonuses (you can, of course, do both!).

I'm currently trying to get lifetime platinum. With the distinct possibility of changes in the types of miles (credit card, flight, other partner) creditable for lifetime status, I'm delaying any conversion of SPG poins to Aadvantage miles. If they make changes prior to my being able to convert enough to reach platinum, I might just prefer to keep them as spg points.

5. scotchjeff

scotchjeff Active Member

Status Points:
    yes, i have a Citi personal card....can I get another one? How does that work...it seems like everyone in this group signs up an cancels a lot of cards..?

6. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems that way, but citi has reportedly started to limit this sort of churning sign up bonuses.

7. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have been able to get one of each of their cards. Most people have the Citi personal AA Mastercard. If that's the case, then get the personal Visa and Amex signups (I think the Visa Business is an offer - but you can only do 2 apps at once - 2 apps every 60 days but every 90 days if you do a business) - so best bet is do the two person apps of the two personal cards you don't have, wait about 65 days and apply for the Visa Business. Hopefully a good Mastercard Business AA card sign up will come down the pipe soon.

That's 225,000 miles in the next 3 months.

Scroll down to the Airlines area - AA cards are the first two. If you're looking for an old business app, search Gary's View From the Wing Blog for a link that might still work.
    http://thepointsguy.com/top-deals/

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  8. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP stated he has his own company. You should sign up for the Citi Aadvantage business card. You can receive a 75000 bonus after $1,500.00 in spend. There is some past information that one can "churn" these cards every 91 days and receive a new card and a new bonus. This seems like an easy way for you to get 76,500 AA miles closer to your goal.

You should apply for not only the Amex Starwood personal card but the SPG biz card too. You will get additional bonus miles.

If you have a spouse have him or her apply for at least the personal SPG card. They can transfer their starpoints to you and you can transfer them to your Aadvantage account for the bonus. Good luck on meeting your goal.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought the understanding was that if/when changes come, anything that already counts for MM status in your account would continue to count, but perhaps future MM status miles must be earned by flying. If this is true, wouldn't you rather transfer as much as you can now in order to be as close to MM as possible when the changes happen? OTOH, if you're currently very far away, your strategy makes sense if changes would cause you to give up on getting AA MM status and focus on another airline at that point.

10. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. I think we're looking at this synoptically.

I'm at 1.2 MM Aadvantage, with about 200K Starwood which I can convert at a rate of 60K Starwood per day (to 75K AA) when it makes sense to do so. I've got all the redeemable AA miles I need for some time, so I will convert SPG to AA ONLY if it will permit me to get LT Plat. Otherwise, I prefer to keep my SPG powder dry in a form that I can use for SPG properties or for other airline mile conversions until I am confident that they will be helpful for LT Plat.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you can go from 1.2MM to 1.425MM instantly, which is much closer but still would require a lot of flying, maybe six years if you're barely making EXP every year? If the 225,000 AA MM will matter to you later, aren't you worried that once the change is announced, transfers won't count for MM status any more, starting immediately?

12. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    A bit worried. But given my patterns, the only way I'm gonna make it requires that AA's generous accrual to LT Plat go a bit longer. I'd seriously have to be able to convert enough miles to get to 1.85MM or 1.9MM to be within shooting distance. I've flown maybe 20000 miles on AA in the last 3 years, and have retired from mileage running qua mileage running. So, getting to 1.4/1.5/1.6/1.7 MM miles leaves me in the same position - never, ever, getting there. My "striking distance" is, regretably, just too short.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on your age and whether your flying tends to be on routes services by AA, I don't think 100K miles is that much, although of course LT Plat is only valuable is you still fly some AA or oneworld flights. In the worst case, wouldn't you be able to use the AA miles on award tickets (or hotels or whatever else they can be used for)? (This is perspective from someone with roughly 3 MM BIS miles, all on airlines that don't count CC spend and transfers for MM status.)

14. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, waiting seems to make sense if we're to believe that AA will provide advanced notice, as Maya said. It may not only be BIS miles & if some additional miles count (credit card spend?) then it could once again make sense if you'd be able to make up the gap via credit card spend (rather than BIS).

15. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sort of hoping for something like BIS miles count 100% and all other miles count 50% or even 25% ...... please note that I am not claiming to have inside info, or even an educated guess ... this is just what I am hoping for, if it must change.

16. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, converting SPG would not mean a total loss - AA miles are, after all, among the more valuable in the industry. I do recall, however, that a year ago AA offered a 30 or 35% bonus for hotel transfers. In my current position - where I have no need for the trove of AA RDM's I have, I should, at a minimum, await such an oportunity.

17. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Valuable as long as you don't want to redeem for BA flights (& pay BA's YQ).

You may be waiting a very long time for a SPG->AA transfer bonus. The bonus that you mentioned happened when Marriott dropped AA - and I haven't read about another prior or since - which make me believe that it may have been a retaliatory bonus & unlikely to occur again. (But I'd be happy to be wrong)

18. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Eh I like AA miles but dunno if I'd consider them among the more valuable in the industry. The fact that you can only do stopovers in the North American gateway city really limits your creativity on using stopovers and/or open jaws. Of course if you happen to live in a NA gateway then things get a whole lot more interesting. Being based out of WAS I find that my options are somewhat limited

19. Purpleeagl
    Original Member

Purpleeagl Silver Member

Status Points:
    HoKo, interesting.
    If this is off track please place it in the right place.
    In WAS you need to fly up and down, Especially to/thru BNA or RDU for most benefit.
    I was based in WAS but now am in DEN. I found more options and two Admirals clubs (at DCA and IAD) a better option / feature. I may be back in the next year or so, and I had hoped, and still do for a BWI Admirals Club ;) ;) to AA.
    I also miss the club in Seattle. They were great and the view breathtaking...

20. Purpleeagl
    Original Member

Purpleeagl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can help you find the options w/ AA. They are very good in DCA and IAD

21. muflyer

muflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My AA Visa/AMEX is currently offering 1.2 miles per $ spent. However, after conversion, the SPG Amex is still 1.25 miles per $ and you don't have to commit them to just one program until you are ready. You may also want to consider signing up for AA Biz program. While it doesn't net you miles, it can give you additional perks if you are having a lot of BIS miles that you pay for as part of your biz.

22. buschoi
    Original Member

buschoi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am in the same boat. Not getting international stopover limits the value of AA miles. One huge reason I still like AA miles is the unlimited change of departure date and time for AA awards. This is something not offered by Alaska, one that I have been considering long and hard to swtich to. AS's award requirement to Asia is lower than AA's. It also allows one free stopover anywhere.

23. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, cool profile picture dude! Haha, I've thought about doing something similar, I haven't looked at the chart in a while but if I remember correctly AS's prices for CX flights were outrageously good!

24. straightahead

straightahead Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm Lifetime Gold and could probably get to Lifetime Platinum by transferring SPG balance and a few more credit cards, etc., but I don't see the big benefit.
    Am I missing something? It seems that there a few more upgrade benefits when paying full fare, but I never do that. Would there be other benefits?

25. scotchjeff

scotchjeff Active Member

Status Points:
    With the new AA rules in effect my goal of LT Gold or Plat may be shattered. I don't think I can pull off 500K miles in 1 year solely with the new AA Citi Exe card. I have done all of the SPG and Citi bonus cards...but I will still need 500K miles to reach 1mil.
    I called AA and they told me that as of now AA will stop applying AA Citi Exe credit card miles to your LT status as of December 2012...but she said she wasn't sure if that rule would hold up.

What do you guys think? If AA continues to allow AA Citi Exe miles to count towards LT status after Dec 2012 I think I will get the AA Citi Exe card....??