Under Review go to first unread - doesn't work

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by estnet, Mar 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Either on the same page (for one page threads) or on multiple pages when I'm reading at the end and hit this it doesn't do anything :(

lisamcgu likes this.
  2. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    I haven't had any problems with this feature and don't see any problems in a second look. Is anyone else having a problem with this link? Maybe you accidentally hit the mark all forums read link?

lisamcgu likes this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not had any issues and tried it recently by accident and it took me to the end correctly but that is not where I wanted to be :)
    OP -- is this reproducible for you?

lisamcgu and Chimpy like this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes completely reproducible. Per other comment - I don't even know where mark all forum read is, nor would I ever check this.
    ACMM - it takes me to the end as well, but go to first unread should take me to the beginning of the thread (I think) if I've entered on say page 5 and never read the forum before.

lisamcgu likes this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I misread your post - it should not take you to the end ... and it should not take you to the start .. if you start on post 1005 then I think it will assume you have read all up to there so the first unread should be 1006 so on the same page ... hmmm .. I need to let a forum build up so I can see this again -- will post back what I find if I can.

6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well not enough activity right now to give me a posting sample size large enough to test anything ... however something you may want to check - if you hover your mouse/cursor over the First Unread button without clicking it, in the bottom left corner of your browser window it will tell you either the page number or the post number that it is going to take you to ... maybe if you look at that, then what it is doing may make some sense?

7. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    I think I might know where things could be going wrong for you. When you enter a thread if you click on a page of that thread it marks previous parts of that thread as read. So if you click into the last page of a thread previous pages are considered viewed. I can't say for sure that this is what is happening to you, but it sounds like this might be what is happening.

lisamcgu and doc like this.
  8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go to first unread isn't working right for me either. Some threads it seems to think I haven't read any of it by going to first page instead.

9. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually I go to threads via alerts just because I seem to bounce around threads if I go in any other way. Anyway, to prevent the bouncing around and extra clicks trying to find out where I am at, where the end of the thread is, etc., I have actually been using the First Unread button first thing after I get to the thread (via alerts). Then I can just start reading where I left off and it seems to work like a charm for me.

Of course, if I reply to a post, I start boinging around again, so the hardest part is resisting the urge to do that until I get to the end :D

YULtide and Skyvillager like this.
  10. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forgot to mention that I would love if going to the First Unread post was the default when clicking on a link for the thread in every place, not just Alerts. For example, Watched Threads. I am sure going to the first page must work for some people, but almost every time I need to Go To First Unread :)

YULtide and Horse like this.
  11. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Based on your suggestion I'm wondering if that is where the confusion is coming for some users, they are expecting that link to take them directly to the latest post rather than the beginning of the thread where they can choose to read or click the go to first unread. I'll put this down as a suggestion, though this will be one we have to put a good bit of consideration into before we might change it as it could confuse many users from opposite perspective if it were changed to behave this way too I think.

12. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe just the Alerts, as it already is, and Watched Threads? If you think about it, if the thread is being watched, the reader has already read everything up to the First Unread. No real need to go back to the first page, or try to figure out what page they left off on by clicking on one of the little brown pg buttons after the link, or clicking on the last page and working their way back ...

YULtide likes this.
  13. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah! I take it all back. I just used a link for a Watched Thread and it took me to the last thread I had read. Of course, this happened to be at the top of the last page, so it took me to the top of the last page or to my reply which I suppose was the First Unread ...

YULtide and Horse like this.