Go Packs are back

Discussion in 'JetBlue | TrueBlue' started by Wandering Aramean, Aug 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    aptraveler and edekba like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this cheap?

LAX - NYC for $257 each way?
    LAX - SFO for $107 each way?

I just don't see this as a really good promo; not to mention you have 10 weeks to do 10 flights.

Thanks for the news though, I just dont see this as being a really good promo.

aptraveler likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    AYCJ was so much better... then again that was just highway robbery and people like me would abuse it, so I can understand why they have this new setup. :)

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is for walk-up fares, which is what you get with these packs.

It is a VERY good deal if you're a business traveler with a slightly uncertain schedule. It is similarly good if you are a looking to have fixed costs for the known travel for budgeting reasons.

For a leisure traveler just looking for cheapest fares it is not.

edekba and aptraveler like this.
  5. jetsetter2011

jetsetter2011 Active Member

Status Points:
    I considered the Go Pack but ended up buying about 8 tickets on US instead for the BOS to DCA route for the following reasons and considerations ranked in order of importance:
    1. Fare: This August 2012 Go Pack is almost double what the earlier spring/summer BOS/DC Go Pack cost which was about $69 per segment. With the current Aug 2012 Go Pack the fare in the BOS/NYC/DC market would be $119 each way. For the dates I needed I found tickets on US some for $59, a lot for $72, and a few at $90 and $115.

2. Porr JetBlue Same Day Change Policies & Flusterred Gate Agents: In a shuttle market I think it is essential to be able to readily make same day changes. Both US and DL offer a published benefit where preferred or elite members can have same day change fees waived. There is some fine print but I've found in practice US will accommodate a preferred member on any same day flight at the airport. I have found at JetBlue in both BOS & DCA they are pretty zealous about trying to collect the $50 same day change JetBlue fee even if you are a regular traveler on the route. JetBlue also has a terrible policy where in theory at departure time, you lose the value of your ticket. I don't think at the airport they fully apply this lose you money at departure time, but my sense is the JetBlue call center does. At US you have until midnight on the ticketed travel date to cancel your reservation which is a lot more reasonable, and this will allow you to retain the value. US has a $150 change fee vs. B6 $100, but with B6 they take the fee out at the time of change, so you can't even try to have it waived later. At US the ticket is left and the fee would be collected at the time the change is made, so you at least have a shot later of getting the fee waived especially in person. I've also found JetBlue agents in BOS will get flusterred if you show up at the gate 15-20 minutes before a flight to try to get on a different same day flight. They will hem and haw about $50 fees, try to send you to the special services customer service counter, and generally are flusterred. I imagine B6 being the top carrier in BOS that is giving them some arrogance, and they probably hire people with less experience. I also didn't like that the same gate agents don't work particular route or flights at JetBlue. At US some of the same gate agents work at the shuttle that have been doing it since the 90's. They are generally goodd under pressure say at 20 minutes before departure changing reservations & getting pax on flights. Remember, US has a more dedicated shuttle operation & separate shuttle concourse in BOS & LGA. One time I had to change my flight at 15 to 20 minutes before departure and also had to leave my house keys with the gate agent for a friend of mine who was flying in to BOS on another airline, and the US agent handled the two issues without blinking an eye or getting flusterred and got me on the flight and arranged for my friend to pick up the keys at the BOS baggage service office.

3. US has better terminal facilities in DCA which are closer to the metro. You might argue B6 is better if your driving because A is smaller? Also I like the BOS US shuttle B15-21 concourse better than C11-C36 because the TSA checkpoint is smaller, less busy, and its quicker to get from the street to the gate, I make a lot of same day trips.

4. US has internet mobile boarding passes that work on a smart phone. B6 has a terrible flash based boarding pass system, and the app does not have e-boarding passes.

5. I don't feel I get any real value out of TrueBlue now that its points based, and if I want to redeme for a last minute flight it is going to cost a huge premium in points. I don't really want to use the points for a $49 ticket, but it seems thats all you can get at a reasonable point level. I'm not sure also that there are readily attainable aspriational awards like F class international. Also JetBlue's new Mosaic elite program does not excite me at all because they don't provide free same day changes, free drinks, or better EML upgrades. On US or DL you get free same day changes, free first class unlimited upgrades (not just say 6 economy EML upgrades), etc. Even on Southwest A List Preferred you get free WiFi.

6. In Flight Amenety:
    The tv is cool and I like it especially for live news, sports, or weather. But WiFi is more important, and I have a lot of content on my smartphone to keep me entertained. US is installing WiFi on a lot of their domestic fleet. I know B6 working on WiFi but launch seems to be pushed out, not that US has it right away either.

7. Close Flights Early
    I am not sure if B6 closes the door earlier than US. I know officially they say must be on board 15 mins before but with US I think its 10 minutes. This is an issue again if I am flying down for the day every minute can count.
    Wondering what you think I was debating post to US forum where I imagine a lot agree, but curious those of you devoted to B6 what you think of these complaints and issues? I also wonder if B6 really targets a consumer who flys say 1-4 times a year rather than say someone flying 2-3 times a month. It seems like B6 really does not understand a customer that flys a lot. But for a nonfrequent flyer I would recommend B6 as long as pax not caught off guard by their change rules, really Southwest is best with $0 change fees also. I think if WN flew in my markets I would take them over US or B6, WiFi is coming along and the no change fees are huge. If I was not sure if I needed to fly back Sun night or Mon morning I could book both on WN and not lose any money, just re-use it.
    I also don't like JetBlue because they do not overbook flights, I found oversale situations to be fun, proffitable, and part of the travel adventure. It is so boring flying with no overbooked flights for me.

viguera likes this.