Go Airlink Shuttle - Manhattan-JFK

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by rwoman, Nov 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good Morning,

I figured I'd share my experience using the Go Airlink Shuttle to travel from the Staybridge Suites Times Square to JFK yesterday morning - I had to be at the airport early and did not want to risk the train (but maybe I should have). This service was recommended by the hotel concierge as a cost effective way to JFK early on a Sunday.

My experience...

1. The shuttle was approximately 10 minutes late (515am pick up happened at 0525am).
    2. The driver was disheveled looking - half tucked shirt, not professional. The state of the van was not so good either - broken stuff, dirty, STUFF everywhere up front.
    3. The driver frequently checked/sent Blackberry messages WHILE DRIVING and stopped at green lights to do so...sometimes there are no words..:rolleyes:
    4. The driver did not seem to have a very good working knowledge of the roads in Manhattan, especially with detours to get to the Queensboro Bridge. I thought this was a bit strange for a taxi/shuttle driver.
    5. The driver was not afraid to run red lights, especially when he took an alternate route through Queens to get to I-278.
    6. The driver had little regard for traffic patterns and was more interested in driving unsafely (70-80 in a 50mph zone, which may be the norm). However, there was enough traffic, that I'm not sure doing so in the right lane was the best idea
    7. I believe I was the only native English speaker riding this trip on the shuttle. The driver asked passengers which airlines they were traveling to, but did not seem to have good knowledge of which carriers use a particular terminal, ignoring/missing/forgetting two customers' request. Then, seemed irritatated about having to go back to another terminal when I got off at T7.

Overall, this was a really unsafe experience. Many tourists not from NY or even the US may just write it off as an experience to be had when visiting NY. However, it was one of the worst shuttle/taxi rides I've had anywhere in the world. The sticker on the window said something to the effect of "Tips appreciated for excellent service."....um, not this trip.

Thanks for reading!

:)robin
    robin

canucklehead and dmel like this.
  2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really like taking the LIRR from Jamaica to Penn Station (and vice versa). On the weekends, it's only $3.75, and 20 minutes. The trains run basically every 15 minutes and is much faster/nicer than the subway.

You also have to pay $5 to use the AirTrain to get to Jamaica.

JosephMay and rwoman like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you are already at NYPenn the LIRR doesn't save you much time over the E train, assuming you are near an E station.

Not too surprised at the horrible experience on the ride; sorry you had to suffer that to provide the report.

rwoman likes this.
  4. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once had to wait 35 minutes for a E-train. Don't know why, but never again!

rwoman likes this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right - normally, I use the LIRR/subway/AirTrain - with the early departure yesterday, I did not want to risk having a train issue. Should've stuck with the train...they run 24/7, yes?

:)

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Subway runs 24x7. LIRR takes a couple hours off late night (like 2-4am or something like that).

rwoman and canucklehead like this.
  7. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    LIRR is definitely the preferred connection form the Air Train. And Penn Station is only 8 blocks or 1 subway stop from Times Square on the A, C, E or 1,2,3 trains... or rwoman you could have taken me up on the offer to drive you to the city.:) Opps I just reread the post.... I don't do 5:25am nevermind.
    Also you can text "Jam to Penn" to 266266 (without the quotation marks) and it will return the next 5 trains from Jamaica to Penn Station.

rwoman likes this.
  8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    with the exception of 6 am flights, I usually do either E or LIRR (also depending which side of Manhattan I am on) to Jamaica and then AirTrain.

Sorry to hear of the dismal experience.

rwoman likes this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. :)

It happens - if it'd been my first time in NYC, I may have been a bit freaked out. I did send feedback to the company, but am not expecting a response.

10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've learned my lesson...take the train...as usual. :)

11. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    LIRR SCHEDULE SUNDAYS JAMAICA TO PENN

From Jamaica To Penn Station

DepartArrive TransferLeavesTrip Duration
    4:29 AM​
    4:52 AM​
    23 mins​
    4:43 AM​
    5:02 AM​
    19 mins​
    5:03 AM​
    5:23 AM​
    20 mins​
    5:31 AM​
    5:54 AM​
    23 mins​
    5:43 AM​
    6:03 AM​
    20 mins​

rwoman likes this.
  12. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note to self...DO NOT listen to the concierge next time about Sunday train travel. ;)

canucklehead and JosephMay like this.
  13. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    WWW.mta.info will give you all the NYC mass transit info you need....

rwoman likes this.
  14. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    I failed the reading comprehension part. You were going to JFK...Same idea though-- There is frequent train service from Penn to Jamaica 24*7.

rwoman likes this.
  15. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right - and I'd looked before I left the UK, but when I sought to confirm with the concierge at the hotel, she seemed convinced it'd be a problem...should've gone with my gut. :D That's okay, I'm bound to be back in NY sooner rather than later...definitely in Feb so long as the weather cooperates.

canucklehead and JosephMay like this.