Go! Airlines pulls out of Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by HiIslands, Mar 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hawaii interisland carrier Go! airline, owned by the Mesa Group, announced it will cease operations at the end of this month. Passengers with reservations for April and beyond will be re-booked on Hawaiian Airlines.

Aloha Airlines accused Go! of predatory pricing designed to run Aloha out of business. Aloha left the interisland passenger market in March, 2008, but won a settlement from Mesa.

Hawaiian Airlines won a $52.5 million suit against Go! based on Mesa using confidential information from Hawaiian's bankruptcy proceedings to enter the Hawaii interisland market.

In recent months Go! was down to flying just two planes since it was never able to effectively capture the interisland market. Mesa says it will redeploy the aircraft to its mainland routes where it can make more money.

Sources: Hawaii News Now and Hawaii Star Advertiser
    Customer Q & A Regarding Go! Shutdown

gregm, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do wonder if someone will cough up the cash to bring the Aloha name back.

3. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Los Angeles-based Yucaipa Cos., the former majority shareholder of Aloha, bought the Aloha name and other intellectual property for $1.5 million with a stipulation that it not resell the name to Mesa Air Group, Last summer, Larry Ellison's Island Air was in discussion with Yucaipa to purchase the Aloha name, but I did not hear that anything came of those talks.

Aloha still has a lot of brand support here in the Islands. My personal opinion is that Go! did not succeed because locals resented their driving Aloha out of business. Both Yucaipa and Ellison certainly have the cash to bring the passenger network back. And all of the Aloha cargo jets and hangar are still in service.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    It appears Aloha still has a ground service operation company at OGG.

I flew into OGG less than 2 weeks ago from DFW on AA, and the tug that was pulling the bagagge cart said "Aloha" in the old Aloha Airlines graphic.

Flyer1976 and uggboy like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lots of tugs carry old logos/names. So do catering carts and cargo bins. I don't take that as evidence that the company is still operating in some way.

Aloha does run cargo ops though.

6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    While in HNL a year or so ago, it was strange to see on the airport departures board that while the Hawaiian Airlines flights were all departing as scheduled, many other airline flights that day were cancelled. If I'm not mistaken, many of the cancelled flights were on Go!/Mesa airlines. I suspect that the airline market in the Aloha State is quite a tough business.

gregm and uggboy like this.
  7. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go! had a reputation for a lot of delayed flights.

8. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Go! flight HNL to KOA was delayed. I am not saddened to hear that Go! will not be flying.

9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should ask AS about that. ;)

gregm, Flyer1976 and Newscience like this.
  10. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I neglected to add that ALL the OGG ground employees on the tarmac working the flight were also wearing Aloha polo shirts amongst the tugs and baggage handling for our inbound AA flight.

Seems like pretty fair evidence enough for me.

gregm likes this.
  11. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Max M, Flyer1976 and HiIslands like this.
  12. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's an interesting article quoting Aloha's CEO as saying "Go! was a parasite and destroyed so many people's lives..." He also explains how United Airlines was considering buying Aloha Airlines until the price of jet fuel soared, scaring them off.

Yesterday, March 31 was the last day of service for Go! in Hawaii. True to form, it was a day of delayed and cancelled flights.

13. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go went out of business because of a bad on-time record and poor customer service. If you ever flew them you could attest to the crappy customer service. We got so upset with them that we decide not to fly them and switched our company's travels to Hawaiian. A lost of over 150 flights annually. It's good to see that bad service is not rewarded.

gregm and Newscience like this.
  14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that there is more to this story than simply the price of jet fuel. Perhaps United Airlines was hesitant about facing off against Hawaiian Airlines (via purchasing Aloha Airlines) for other reasons. Hawaiian Airlines provides a pretty solid service, and I suspect that most potential airline customers living in Hawaii are comfortable with that. Newcomers to the Land of Aloha will have to fight extra hard to get the local customers to switch, and that might be "a bridge too far" for United Airlines to accomplish in the tight Hawaiian Island market.

gregm likes this.