Gmail users?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone who uses Gmail experienced their account being locked for 24 hours because of sending too many e-mails?

I've maxed out two of my accounts while job hunting in Singapore...

Chimpy likes this.
  2. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    never heard of that!

3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
  4. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never struck that before, perhaps I do not send enough [​IMG]

6. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    well I had to step up my game

when I searched for job opportunities in Australia I researched the industry and fired off 110+ e-mails to companies around the country... of those 20% bounced back... 10% replied they were not interested, 8% were interested and asked for my resume... 2% scheduled an interview and I ended up taking the job with 2 companies.

with Singapore... oh boy! I am not having much luck, so since quality didn't seem to work, I went for quantity.

my latest effort was what I thought was a goldmine, 1800 e-mail addresses that cover every single company in a specific industry in Singapore... (surprised there were that many companies in such a small industry on such a small island) but anyway... I got up to about 500 e-mails on one e-mail address until it was locked... then 500 more on the next... luckily up to 24 hours doesn't mean exactly 24 hours, so I was able to send 200 more this morning and have about 600 left

voila... so far out of those 1,000 sent I got one job offer which seems promising... I hope it does work out

7. it'ship2b^2
    Original Member

it'ship2b^2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They must think you are a spammer. 1800 emails is a high number for even for a hevy user.

sobore likes this.
  8. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    well yea... clearly!

but even with the best intentions, how many different ways can you describe yourself to a prospective employer?

Spangenberg likes this.
  9. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    man, are you just sending the same thing out en masse?

Spangenberg likes this.
  10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's what happening. They assume some malware has you email address and is playing dirty with it.

11. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never heard of it, but it makes sense. I'm sure waiting a day to send the rest isn't going to hurt. Surprised that you already got an offer. Good luck!

TrueBlueFlyer likes this.
  12. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    at last everything is sent out

Gmail has its quirks, for example when you go back and forth with one person you are limited to 100 responses before Gmail starts a new 100 batch conversation... bit annoying when you have to go back and find something that was said.

I also don't like the way Gmail handles responses, and part of the reason I did not use blind copy on this mailer, instead creating individual e-mails for each of the 1,800 recipients. The problem is while each response comes back color coded under your original message, it gets too cluttered and conversations break off when you reach the 100 response limit. I'd like to keep track of all the responses in the relevant original email thread, so to speak.

Another interesting observation that has nothing to do with Gmail... or could be pure coincidence... but of the two e-mail addresses I used to sent out these resumes... one contained the word "asia" and another "euro" in the e-mail address... Singaporean employers were more likely to respond to "euro" than they were to "asia" even though both e-mails had my full name as the display option, which was the same on both e-mail addresses.

If I do get hired in this industry I will have already built a database of all the clean industry contacts, minus all the "Mailer-Daemon" crap that you get which results in Gmail (and possibly other email servers) to close your account for a day.