Global Services Challenge?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by beach1103, Feb 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there such a thing as a Global Services Challenge? A colleague of mine was GS last year and was not invited to be GS this year (as of yet). He has been flying all over the world for the past month and told me that he was "challenged" by UA to fly X number of flights to regain his GS status. I have heard about this when you are wanting UA to match your status from another airline, but not to regain GS status.

1) has anyone else heard of this?
    2) if so, how many flights (or $$) do you think need to be taken and in how long?

Just curious how long he will be out of the office (spending my travel budget) so I can park in his parking space!

Colonel G, legalalien, snod08 and 3 others like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't heard it it that I remember, but I do not find it surprising. It's probably X flights in something like full Y or higher on UA metal. I think there are explicitly stated requirements for retaining GS. Your colleague probably was close but didn't quite meet the standard.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you ask your colleague?

beach1103 likes this.
  4. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    he wouldnt tell me exactly how many flights were needed just that he needed to ramp up his travel to get the status back.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Play stupid and ask your travel department. That might get you the travel budget back :D

beach1103 likes this.
  6. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, tell them you know what air fare, car fare, and train fare is, but ask what a "WHY" fare is and why they can only be purchased at the last minute. ;)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If he's a colleague and not a boss or subordinate, I don't understand how he can take the OP's travel budget.

8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing if there is such a challenge it’s probably based on revenue generated, not miles. This is how I thought the program is run.
    I remember when you could purchase pre-paid elite cards. 1K was $20,000 which was credit for one year of travel. I would think any GS challenge would incorporate those kind of numbers, in a relatively short time frame. ($15k - $20k spend within 90 days?) Just some speculation.