Global Roaming for Existing VZW Customer w/ S3

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Jimgotkp, Jul 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is such a newbie question, so I apologize in advance.

I currently have a S3 w/ VZW but would like to know how I can get global roaming for a reasonable cost? From my understanding, since I can't take out my VZW sim card and the phone isn't LTE, I will have to purchase an unlocked phone w/ a sim card? If so, do you have any recommendations for a reasonably priced smartphone and sim card that can be used in almost every country?

Thanks!

2. dbeedle

dbeedle Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a Verizon Motorolla Razr HD and have used it Internationally on a couple occasions using the Global Roaming package though Verizon. Not the best rates by any stretch but I had it for emergency purposes and a little data Worked just fine. That phone, it is reported, is unlocked internationally and works with international SIMs. The S3 seems to be a little different.

I did a quick search on the S3 and found a couple threads on using the phone internationally. It seems that, with some update along the way, the phone is unlocked for voice and text. Folks have reported success using a local international SIM. Again, voice/text only. Data is another matter for that phone it seems and, while it can be done, it looks like to takes a little hacking of the phone. Here's the thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...69-international-travel-newbie-questions.html

It may be wise to give Verizon a call to verify but it looks like it could work for voice and text.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the post! Yeah, I noticed the posts about it working for only voice/text. I think data is a higher priority for me since I'd like to use it for GPS/Navigation and Uber. Will contact VZW and see what they have to say.

4. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:
    VZW has an option for global data and voice at $25 - $30 USD a month. Log in online and you will find it under FEATURES. It will also tell you if your phone is eligible.

5. dbeedle

dbeedle Silver Member

Status Points:
    International data can be a little iffy sometimes and my phone would do only 3G, not 4G throughput. For GPS/Nav you might look at some of the apps that store their data locally and don't need a data connection. I use CoPilot but there are others out there. I went that route when I moved from an unlimited data plan.

6. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:
    actually learned Google Maps app can save the map for off line use.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    However it is not available worldwide. Japan is one of the exclusion.