Global Entry

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Efilon87, Dec 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just applied for GE, fingers crossed that I get approved. Thinking positively, once approved, how do I get TSA PreCheck as well? Thanks!!

2. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think if you are approved for GE you will be automatically granted PreCheck. GE is great for re-entering this country alone, but if you are traveling with a companion you can breeze through GE but then wait and wait and wait...

gregm, WilliamQ, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  3. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once you have been approved provide the various FF accounts you have with airlines with your trusted traveler number in your online profile. They should automatically provide you with Pre-Check.

gregm, WilliamQ and Newscience like this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very soon after you apply you will get a GOES (could be misspelled) number, shown in the application area, that is the known traveler number to enter on the airlines sites. I'd enter that immediately, they are randomly selecting people for PreCheck, maybe you will get it before your GE approval.

gregm and Newscience like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting TSA PreCheck was a great bonus as a result of Global Entry membership. It's a win-win situation for US Customs, TSA, and most especially for the individual flyer. Let's face it, we're all into "line avoidance"! ;)

gregm and WilliamQ like this.
  6. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just signed up for GOES thanks to my Amex Platinum card.

WilliamQ and Newscience like this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    As frequent overseas travel is a condition of my employment, my employer covered my Global Entry costs. Anyone similarly required to frequently travel for their employment may want to inquire if Global Entry/TSA Pre-Check application expenses are covered. It never hurts to ask! ;)

gregm and WilliamQ like this.
  8. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No Global Entry for non-US citizens.

gregm, Newscience and Gargoyle like this.
  9. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I got conditionally approved. Im in SFO, and the next available is in March. Im flying through JFK January 25th. How much time would you allow to get from Terminal 8 -> Terminal 4 -> Global Entry Interview -> Terminal 8? My JFK layover is around 2 hours. Thanks!!

10. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    8 to 4 is 5 - 10 minutes. I've heard the interview is short. YMMV.

11. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    did my wife's and me (walk-in) in under 30 minutes. If you have an appointment they are pretty good about keeping it.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

WilliamQ likes this.
  12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    MarkUK, does the UK have anything similar? If not, they should!
    Newscience

13. murphbc

murphbc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not true. Eligibility requirements from global entry website states green card holders, Dutch , S Korean , and Mexican citizens can all apply for global entry.

daboogah likes this.
  14. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking about applying but I do not live near one of the enrollment centers. However, I am flying through a few of the airports on the list in the next couple months. How far in advance do you usually need to apply before getting approved for an interview? I realize it may depend on the location, but I thought I would just check what it has been in general.

15. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have NEXUS, you also qualify for Global Entry. I've entered USA using it.

16. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Click on the city that you're flying in to. You be able to look at a monthly calendar to check what's available.

TUMD likes this.
  17. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well it really does pay to keep checking the Global Entry appointment site. I live in SFO and when I initially made my appointment there wasn't an available time till mid March. I made an appointment in JFK since I was flying through, luckily enough they had an appointment during my layover. Checked the site last night, and much to my surprise, there was an appointment at SFO next weekend. :)

Thanks for all your help with the JFK Global Entry info!!!

WilliamQ likes this.
  18. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those that have gone through the process, about how long does the final approval take after your in person interview? I just got my Platinum card and was going to start filling stuff out so I was wondering how close I could make my appointment to my May 9th departure for Europe? Obviously I would prefer to have it done sooner rather than later, but with my location it is not as easy.

19. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming no issues arise / are discovered that would prevent CBP from approving you, they will approve you on the spot, and generally, you should be able to use a GE kiosk within 24 hours. Your PASSID, which will be listed on your CBP conditional acceptance notification, will become "Active." You will receive your GE land border crossing card in the mail within two weeks, and that card has to be activated within 30 days, but that is separate from your passport, which is the key to utilizing the GE kiosks.

TUMD likes this.
  20. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just did my interview today. My interview was at 12:40, finished up about 1pm, got a cup of coffee and walked to my car (did it at IAH), buy the time I reached my car I had an email saying I was approved. 20 min tops. :)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

Gargoyle and TUMD like this.
  21. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an FYI...the GE is good for 5 years...from your NEXT birthday. So if you wait until just after your bday to do it you can get it valid for almost 6 years. My bday was last month and my GE is now good until Jan 2020.

So if you are getting close to bday might want to wait until just after before doing the process. Who process took less that 2 weeks from start to finish for me.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

Gargoyle and WilliamQ like this.
  22. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have to wait until you are fully confirmed (after interview) to use your PASSID as a Trusted Traveler number and get Pre-Check or are you able to get Pre-Check with the "conditional approval" before your interview?

23. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe it's after the interview, and you don't have to wait for the card to arrive.

TUMD and jetsetr like this.
  24. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your GE status would not not be confirmed until after your interview and approval, and until that happens, your PASSID would not be "activated" for TT recognition

WilliamQ and TUMD like this.
  25. tarheelblue
    Original Member

tarheelblue Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those wondering about the time required to obtain GE status, our family's experience indicates the process is astonishingly fast:
    Submitted online applications on a Saturday, which I assume means no one even looked at the applications until the following Monday.
    On Thursday everyone received email notification of "conditional approval." Believe it or not the first available interviews at IAD were the next afternoon. Wife and daughter booked those, mine the following Tuesday. Their interviews took almost no time, and the confirmation emails with their Trusted Traveler numbers arrived later that same day. So including the weekend, it took one calendar week (five business days) from start to finish. Now we're just waiting on the cards. I'll update this post once they arrive.
    BTW, the approval letter indicates "You may use the program as soon as you receive and activate your new Global Entry card."

UPDATE: Arrived at IAD this morning for my 10:15AM appointment and was taken at <GASP> 10:15AM, along with 4 other people. Submitted my passport and driver's license, and we all sat down to watch a video on how to use Global Entry. Before that ended, I was called for my interview, which took about 5-10 minutes, including the fingerprints. So I believe I was out of there by 10:30AM at the latest. At 11:50AM I received email confirmation that I had been approved.
    Although the card is still to arrive, the person doing my interview told me that the card is not needed at the airport, only for land-based border crossings. What's important is getting the Trusted Traveler number into your airline profile.

UPDATE #2: GE cards for wife and daughter arrived today, exactly one week after the interview. So it required less than a week to get interview and full approval, then one additional week to receive cards.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    baliparis and WilliamQ like this.