Global Entry reimbusement - every January?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by jmrich1432, Jul 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if Platinum Card holders will be eligible for 1 reimbursement every calendar year? Is it like the $200 in airline incidentals that re-sets every Jan 1 or is it a one time only thing?

I know additional cardholders are each eligible for the GE reimbursement, just wondering if anyone knew if it would re-set itself for the primary cardholder. My parents won't be traveling internationally again until March 2012 so if this would work they could use their single card for 2 GE applications.

Thanks!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have thought that it would specify Global Entry for the cardholder, not just any friends and family. Remember than GE is good for five years.

3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it specifies the cardholder, I've heard accounts of people who already have GE using it for their SO. Also, looking at the Amex T&C it states that they have no access to the information provided to the program. Based on what showed up on my statement I don't think they can tell who applied, just that the card was used for the payment. I'm wondering if they just credit it once though, since it doesn't seem like they can tell.

???

4. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That seems about right, although my passport expires before then and so I have to stop back by the customs office where I did my interview.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you just need to register the new passport number into their computer and get a new sticker. No new application or fee.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess it could also be the case that someone pays to apply but is denied or cannot schedule the interview quickly enough and then must start over, re-applying and paying the fee again.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The agent who interviewed me indicated the stickers may be being phased out as redundant.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds sensible, as it would be very easy to make one's own sticker and they're not even placed consistently (inside passport versus on back cover).

jmrich1432 likes this.
  9. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got my NEXUS card with Global Entry privileges applied to my Passport and indeed no more Passport stickers.

10. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I applied for Nexus and is only $50 plus gives you Global Entry. I have charged this application fee on my and 3 additional cardholders accounts for different people and did get reimbursed fully within few days of a charge.

Also would like to know if it is indeed an annual benefit or every 5 years. I do not know about Global Entry membership, but Nexus membership does expire on your birthday in the 5th year. So actually it is not full 5 years membership.

11. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    From good authority - this benefit is a one-time thing. Good to know.

12. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard that you need to do this in person with a CBP officer. I'm getting a new passport in a couple of days and will verify that though.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  13. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.globalentry.gov/howtoapply.html
    [​IMG]
    "Global Entry Members In Possession of a Global Entry Card May Utilize NEXUS and SENTRI Lanes Coming Into The United States.
    (07/12/2011) U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will begin issuing Global Entry radio frequency identification (RFID) cards on July 12, 2011 to qualified U.S. citizens, U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) and Mexican citizens (not already in possession of a SENTRI card) who are approved for membership in Global Entry. There is no additional cost for the RFID card as it will be included in the application fee. Global Entry members who were approved for the program prior to July 12, 2011 and wish to obtain a RFID card may request one via their Global Online Enrollment System (GOES) account for a $15 fee.
    Global Entry cards are Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative compliant documents for land and sea travel. Additionally, these cards will be valid for use at the SENTRI and NEXUS lanes coming into the United States. However, Global Entry cards will not be valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks; and members must use a passport or U.S. LPR card at the Global Entry kiosks. Please note that as of the above date, members can use any CBP issued Trusted Traveler Program card when traveling inbound into the United States via the SENTRI or NEXUS lanes.
    Any Global Entry member who wishes to drive their vehicle in the SENTRI lane must register their vehicle and have a 7-point inspection conducted at a SENTRI Enrollment Center. For more information on locations of SENTRI Enrollment Centers as well program requirements, please go to www.sentri.gov."