Global Entry question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by GrizzManFromJapan, Jun 24, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. GrizzManFromJapan

GrizzManFromJapan Active Member

Status Points:
    I have applied for Global Entry. Does anyone know how long will it take to process the application? I have an upcoming trip to Japan on August 10th. Will I be able to complete the process by that time? Any info that will give me a general idea of the time frame will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  2. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I got a conditional acceptance two days after the interview. Got my card about a week after that as I can remember.

jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  3. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember the application not taking that long at all. I think the biggest issue may be getting an interview appointment. I was able to schedule mine rather quickly after application provisionally accepted.

timfrost, jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  4. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Process your application is the easy part. Depending on where you live, getting an appt. is the challenge.

If you check every day for cancelations and are flexible, completing the process before August 10 is possible.

ella and Newscience like this.
  5. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 on the longest component being the interview. Also +1 on checking every day (multiple times a day if you can) for interview appointments opening up. If you live in an area where it's convenient to get around to multiple enrollment centers, be sure to check them all. I did my interview at YVR because at the time I was living in SEA and I would have waited months for an interview there.

6. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you get the Global Entry due to a promo with credit card or just applied independently?

How much time did it really save you through customs?

7. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I applied independently, @euromannn and although it has only really saved my bacon in customs once, I have saved literally days of my life in PreCheck. In IAH in April, I don't know how long in minutes it would have taken me to clear customs, but there were 4 people in the Global Entry queue and probably about 300 in the normal line. Considering the schedule change UA imposed on me that shortened my layover by 45 minutes, I may not have made my second flight without GE. However, the 23-year-old aircraft was delayed by mechanical problems, so when I walked up at departure time, I ended up having time for lunch. I would have completely missed the flight if it was on time and I didn't have GE.

As far as PreCheck goes, I flew LAX-SEA/SEA-LAX every 6 days for the second half of 2013. During the majority of this time, T6 in LAX didn't have PreCheck, so I had to go to T5 and then walk through the tunnel to access my AS flight. Security at SEA is an absolute nightmare on certain afternoons, but PreCheck never failed me. I am under the impression that passengers with "true" PreCheck via NEXUS, GE, Sentri, or the PreCheck background check program actually receive the PreCheck screening far more than those who get it through FF status. Out of 119 flights (and probably about 80 trips through security) since then I have only been denied PreCheck screening randomly once. This doesn't include airports where they employ PreCheck "light" when there is only one line and they let you leave your shoes on but have to remove laptops and such.

I'm flying to CUN in a few weeks and going to NRT in October and am looking forward to using GE again on my return to the US in both these instances. I also finally gave in and signed up for the CLEAR free trial they were offering and have so far enjoyed it - it's too bad it's not in use in more places.

euromannn likes this.
  8. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing all the travel you do. You must be in sales!

I just came back from Germany in May to Seattle and noticed the long que lines through customs but it was quite fast with kioski check.
    I'll get the GE when I finally splurge for the Citi Prestige Card one of these days as I was hoping they'd up the point total to 100,000 not the current 50,000 points.

9. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I sell cheeseburgers in the cafe car on Amtrak California after I have microwaved them to perfection. :p

When I was commuting LAX-SEA, I was working SEA-CHI but had moved back to LAX and was waiting for my transfer to go through. I like to say I've "saved more time than I could ever waste" with PreCheck. Still, better to waste time seated comfortably with a good view of the tarmac than staring at someone's backpack as you shuffle slowly forward in line. :) I do travel an awful lot for fun, too. I enjoy the journey as much as I do the destination. Flying is like mechanical refrigeration: I totally understand how it works, but still think it's black magic of some sort.

Rather than considering it an "expense" think of it this way: Take your hourly wage (or figure it out if you're salaried), and figure out how many hours it would take to pay the $100. Then consider how much time you've already waited in customs or security and it will seem like a no-brainer. Unless you make $5 an hour :)eek:) or hardly travel at all.