Global Entry Question -- 20+ year old misdemeanor...

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Espan, Jun 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would a 20+ year old misdemeanor conviction (blocking a public road during an anti-nuke protest) automatically disqualify me from GE? I can't even remember the exact year. 12 hours of community service or something like that at a recycling plant and my debt to society was paid...

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    not sure if it would deny you GE, but you better disclose it. I had a friend who had a minor conviction from 15 years ago come back to haunt her when the GE was declined because she did not disclose it on the app.

Newscience, Espan, NYCUA1K and 3 others like this.
  3. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with 744, I doubt it would disqualify you as long as you disclose it.

Newscience, Espan, NYCUA1K and 3 others like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:

When in doubt tell the truth and it shall set you free...;)

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Others have given the best advice.....be very clear about your past.

Personally, I think you'll be okay. I was approved for NEXUS (and later GE) after being caught with Cuban Cigars about eight years earlier.

Newscience, wrxmom and Espan like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:

BTW, the GE FAQs (http://www.globalentry.gov/faq.html) do address your very question:
    Just tell the truth and see whether they consider your misdemeanor conviction a disqualifying offense. What ever the outcome, you will be able to walk tall if you just disclose the offense...Either that or do not apply because they will find out on their own and automatically disqualify you, with a negative entry in your file...

Newscience, Espan and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    and you would simply be donating the $100.00 to some "worthy cause" like fast-and-furious......

Dublin_rfk and Newscience like this.
  8. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the replies, and jfyi, I was never intending not to disclose, just wondering if it was $100 down the drain if I would automatically be denied. Sounds like it's worth a try...

Newscience, AnthonyB1609 and NYCUA1K like this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here sincerely hopes that you will not be disqualified because of a 20+ year-old incident. Cheers!

Newscience and Espan like this.
  10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to add a tad more advice. You say you are going to disclose, of course (yay!), but you also say you can't remember the exact year. If I were you I'd try to figure out at least the year. See if you can "Google" a news story on the anti-nuke protest, or remember where you were living, where you were working, who your friends were and/or partner was when you had to go do the community service, and "reconstruct" the date from there. It seems to me that when you disclose, the computer is going to kick it into another pile, and if you are vague with no date it might slow the human being down further. Just a thought. . . .

11. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    funny you mention that Keith, as my preliminary Googling couldn't narrow it down, but now I think I've found it. August 1987.

Newscience and kansaskeith like this.
  12. dodger1k

dodger1k Active Member

Status Points:
    based on my firsthand experience with them, any misdemeanor is an automatic rejection, even if expunged. While the website says "may not qualify", in reality it is will not qualify, cannot qualify, does not qualify. What is funny is that when completing the application, it does not stop you from completing the application and paying the $100 if you answer yes, even thought they will not grant it in my experience. I suppose if you have the Amex Plat or UA 1K, it does not hurt to give it a shot. YMMV. Best of luck.

Newscience, gleff and Espan like this.
  13. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    don't have much status. maybe wait until/if I get the AMEX card that reimburses, that way it's no great loss...

Newscience likes this.
  14. dodger1k

dodger1k Active Member

Status Points:
    I spoke to the Global Entry supervisor today and was informed applicants with only 1 misdemeanor are eligible 10 years after the date of conviction. Before that, even if expunged, not eligible. So you should be fine, but as always, YMMV.

Newscience and gleff like this.
  15. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    thnx, this board goes above and beyond

Newscience likes this.
  16. kyamukun

kyamukun New Member

Status Points:
    Hi Espan, I'm in a similar situation. Misdemeanor from 12 years ago. Per Dodger1K looks like I'm good. But did you go through the process? If so were you approved?

Newscience likes this.
  17. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would agree based on my experience.

Convicted of a drunk in public misdemeanor because I was a stupid college student who passed out on the way back to his hotel room after drinking too much at a room party (going from an air conditioned hotel to 90+ degree weather outside at 3 am didn't help), got rousted by the Anaheim PD and put in the drunk tank because I was incoherent, had UA (thankfully) let me on a flight the next day after I missed my original flight, had to fly BACK to Anaheim and appear in court a month or so later (couldn't plead via a lawyer, HAD to make a personal appearance), was sentenced to time served and fined $50 for the victim's fund. Disclosed on my application for NEXUS some years ago as well as on job applications when relevant, was approved.

Dublin_rfk and Newscience like this.
  18. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Scrupulous honesty does seem to be the key. NEXUS process in particular feels a lot like going through a security vetting. Then again, I've had a customs agent offer his opinion that NEXUS programme is a "hotbed of smugglers" (his words for it). You'd think that, were that to be true, the Powers That Be would surely have shut the programme down by now.

YULtide and Newscience like this.
  19. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My misdemeanor was about 25 years ago. I requested some documentation from the court and submitted with my app and was approved right away. This was ~4 years ago, YMMV.

YULtide likes this.