Global Entry/Precheck question

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Juanefny, Jul 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I mentioned in another thread I've now fixed the issue that I had with precheck. Meanwhile, I've applied for Global Entry and now have two questions:

1) Assuming I get GE, would you recommend adding the trusted travel ID number to my AA.com profile or do you think this would be a bad idea?

2) I think I remember seeing the main SJU terminal (which has the precheck checkpoint) connected to the AA terminal. Is this the case? Can I go through the other terminal's security line's precheck lane and then walk over to the AA terminal?
    Thanks in advance for your help with these questions! [​IMG]

jbcarioca and karung99 like this.
  2. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:

I can answer this with an emphatic, add that number to your profile for all your accounts. Unless someone has a bad experience from doing this, having that number in your known traveler field should allow the airline to pass the number at time of booking.

Betty Boop, jbcarioca and karung99 like this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a bad experience when I inadvertently pasted my wife's GE number into my profile....

jbcarioca, karung99 and flyforawg like this.
  4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most definitely add the number! It's all a bit of smoke and mirrors but I remember reading people with a trusted traveler number almost never get rejected for pre-check whereas people who qualify only based upon FF status get rejected a significant percentage to the time. I can vouch for not being rejected once in my last 30 or so checkins, FWIW.

Regarding pre-check, I think there is only one security checkpoint at SJU and all the terminals are connected, so yes, you can use pre-check and transfer to another terminal. That said, I don't think AA participates in pre-check at SJU so you wouldn't be eligible.

jbcarioca, karung99 and flyforawg like this.
  5. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pre-check at SJU is on the far right side of terminal, it is easier to just get regular AA TSA check point for me.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good workout? Lol
    I ask bc last time I flew to sju (last month) I nearly missed my flight bc the security line was so long!

karung99 likes this.
  7. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I went through the main terminal yesterday (only one with precheck) and it worked great. I got the three beeps, faced absolutely no line and within a couple of minutes was sitting at the Admirals Club. I think I will continue to go through that terminal going forward when I travel to SJU without checked luggage. Like I said up above in May I nearly lost my flight bc the security line at the AA terminal was so long... def gonna try to avoid that!

karung99 and jbcarioca like this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    We'll be in SJU in a couple of weeks. This is very good to know, and we'll be carryon only.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

9. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, just be mindful that you'll get like a 5-10 min workout walking to the admirals club. I prefer to be walking than to be standing there waiting for security, so for me it works amazingly well - and i need to lose weight anyway! :rolleyes:

karung99, jbcarioca and Mike Reed like this.
  10. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I have another question. I've read on here how you should have your aa, tsa precheck/global entry and passport names all match. While I put in my application my entire name (including my middle name and second last name) the conditional approval letter only has my first and last name. Should this be of concern?

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's working, I'd expect it to continue working. I can't speak authoritatively, though...

12. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I got my global entry card in the mail today and it only has one last name on it despite me putting both last names on the app and indicating the passport had both last names on it (they scanned it too for that matter). Does anyone think this will be an issue?

13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    It shouldn't. I know someone who's name doesn't quite match their GE card. They report no perceived issues accessing PreCheck.

14. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great. I hope this is the case with me. The actual goes profile shows both last names.

15. FlyMe Marc

FlyMe Marc Active Member

Status Points:
    I fly out of SJU A LOT!!! I always use the Pre-Check even though it is quite a walk to the AA gates. Usually, the AA checkpoint is a cluster. There are like 6 lanes, but usually only have one or two open and it back ups and hate taking out my laptop. Further, the mobile boarding pass reader has been broken since last year so you have to get a paper boarding pass. Lastly, even though it is a bit of walk to the AA gates there are a bunch of windows to see the different planes and a Starbucks along the way.

karung99, jbcarioca and flyforawg like this.
  16. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going to SJU two more time in Sept, will use Pre-Check line for sure even a bit walk.

17. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the AA terminal at SJU finally got precheck!

FriendlySkies likes this.