Global Entry / NEXUS (Travel between US and Canada)

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by MSPeconomist, Aug 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just applied for my Global Entry card. After getting into my account, which required some work as I didn't have printouts handy from when I did this before, it forced me to change my password and then go through and re-verify every information screen, including the painful re-entry of all countries visited. It also forced me to re-enter my driver's license data as the website reverted to no driver's license on that screen. This took more time than I had hoped. OTOH, this is a travel document that I should have anyway, at least until I'm able to get the full NEXUS card with eye scan.

Apparently they mail the card to you (I assume there will be some sort of on line notification) and then you must go back into your GOES account to activate it on line.

rwoman likes this.
  2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    To save you any potential hassles there is no upgrade path for GE -> Nexus. Nexus requires approval of both Canada and US, while GE is just the former. Thus if you're not a Nexus member you apply from scratch to get it. (And if you are approved in NEXUS, there's hardly any point of the GE card)

DeltaExpert likes this.
  3. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    As Nexus Is only applicable when arriving in Canada, or departing Canada for the US, Global Entry is relevant and useful when arriving in the US from any other country. By-passing long customs hall lines and avoiding talking to or answering questions from CBP officers can be a real timesaver. Also since GE is free for Nexus holders (Canadians Anyway), and enrollment is super simple, it seems like a no-brainer to me, and I am glad I enrolled!

4. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just went through my existing GE GOES account to add NEXUS to it. (Have my old PortPass card from long ago still.) Yes, had to answer some new questions as part of my personal profile in order to be able to finish application, but not that much of a bother. Site said to check my account daily to see updates on approval status. Glad AmEx will be picking up the tab for this, I hope. We’ll see if I get this in time; sorry I didn’t think of it sooner.

5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're enrolled in NEXUS, there is no need to enroll in GE. As of a number of months ago, it's fully automatic. (e.g. if I go to GOES and try to enroll in GE it gives me an error that I'm a NEXUS member and thus auto-enrolled. I never signed up for GE directly or after getting NEXUS)

The "GE card" that's been mentioned is sort of a half-crippled NEXUS card (only usable one way on Canada/USA borders, and for other US arrivals you only need your passport without any cards).

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you actually used a GE kiosk entering the USA? You would be correct only if when getting your NEXUS card they not only did an iris scan but also took a complete set of finger prints.

UA191 likes this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are doing fingerprints and enrolling everyone on GE now automatically on all Nexus application interview at least on US side.

rwoman and UA191 like this.
  8. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct, they have been doing fingerprints for a while now based on my own experience and those of a few friends. As mentioned TAHKUCT my experiences are indeed on the US-side. (I signed up for Nexus since I do use both, and it's half the price of GE. But I do use the GE part much more than Nexus.)

9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    And for what it's worth, GE machines are now in the US Pre-Clearance Area at YVR, next to the NEXUS machines.

rwoman and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My request for a Global Entry card has apparently discovered a bug in their software system. About a business day after I requested only the card (based on my Global Entry application that was approved last year--I did the interview and have been using the kiosks since then), I got a notification that I was "conditionally approved" and should schedule an interview. This is a mistake, as confirmed by a phone call to the folks who interviewed me and then a half hour talking to a tech support person and supervisor on the number I was given when I called the interview center.

If you apply only for the Global Entry CARD and get the notification that you have been conditionally approved and need to schedule an interview, do not believe it. This is wrong and you must contact Global Entry and explain the problem. The process should show as approved, with the card being mailed to you automatically. The enrollment centers at airports do not need to talk with you again and they cannot give you the card. You have been warned.

rwoman and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  11. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    How does this differ from the Passport Card?What does the GE card offer? No need to carry passbook? That would be a plus.

I have GE, a US passport, DL and a Passport Card. I want everything! I want an arm patch or tattoo, just get me the hell out of the lines and make me think I'm important.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It gives you GE type conditions in some places, such as Canada TO USA travel, that don't have GE kiosks. Remember that there's no way that someone can easily verify by looking at your passport that you have GE; not all centers were giving the sticker and it could be faked easily anyway. The GE card doesn't substitute for a passport or passport card AFAIK.

canucklehead likes this.
  13. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not necessary to all ... just ignore the instructions to go for an interview. In my case, right after that notification there was an immediate additional one saying I was approved for the program and the card was on its way.

Also, it seems the software problem is that it does bring you through the entire application process when you only want the card added to an existing approved GE account. I simply skipped the reentry of countries process by assuming they already were in the database. It worked and I got the card a week later in the mail.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did indeed get my second (approval) notification, but it was sent from the JFK GE processing center (where I did my previous GE interview) and not the central GOES people in Washington or where ever.

15. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received my GE after having Nexus. Very simple process, no appointment was necessary (but I did have to wait for an opening).

The only problem I have had is that both times when using, I have been flagged. First time was a technical glitch, second time with food (which I had declared). If you say yes to any of the items, it will ask you to proceed to any officer rather than going forward to the exit. It still is faster as I asked the agent directing passengers to various queues and he placed me in the smallest line in first.

(I tried to ignore the grumbling (I did apologize to the couple behind me) and the whispered "WTH does he think he is?")

So, if you have declared food or something else, be prepared to go to an officer.

One final note, the agent told me that even though I declared chocolate, he would not have considered it food, but its a gray area for them.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  16. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are the items?

17. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    chocolates, candies, tea. I usually declare these items as I have never received an explicit word from USCIS if they should be considered food. I tend to be overly cautious as improper declarations are considered a reason for revocation of GE and Nexus!

TAHKUCT likes this.
  18. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got to the point that I hated having to wait for a secondary, which could come quickly and have me on my way to the lounge for a drink, or just as capriciously come slowly and leave me cooling my heels waiting for an inspector to get around to examining my food items.

It seemed ever so much simpler to just not bother taking my Canadian chocolate bars through the transborder preclearance chicane, especially when considering that I could simply pop into the depanneur on the airside and buy exactly the same chocolate bar, for consumption en-route.

Bureacratic efficiency sounds so utterly oxymoronic at times like this!

19. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Received an email that might be of interest to you regarding CBP, Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI with TSA and per-clearance in Canada. Thought it might be of use for some travellers for this upcoming MegaDO in YUL.

We are pleased to announce that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is partnering with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) on a new Department of Homeland Security initiative announced July 14, 2011, that qualifies some passengers for expedited screening through U.S. airport security checkpoints.

This pilot program will be available to U.S. citizens who are members of CBP’s Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI Trusted Traveler programs. The pilot program will provide expedited screening through TSA checkpoints via dedicated screening lanes.

Additional information will be sent out prior to the pilot’s implementation, explaining more about the program and the necessary steps you will need to take in order to participate.

For more information and the latest updates, please visit www.tsa.gov or contact TSA at (866)289-9673.

Additionally, CBP would like to announce the availability of Global Entry kiosks at select Canadian preclearance locations. Global Entry kiosks are now available at CBP preclearance at the Vancouver International Airport and at Ottawa’s MacDonald-Cartier Airport. Global Entry kiosks will be placed at Montreal’s Trudeau International Airport and at Toronto’s Lester B. Pearson International Airport by September 2011. The placement of Global Entry kiosks at Canadian preclearance locations is the next step in the integration of the Global Entry and NEXUS Trusted Traveler programs.

The integration of the Global Entry and NEXUS programs began in December 2010, when CBP published a Federal Register Notice announcing that NEXUS members could participate in Global Entry. With the deployment of Global Entry kiosks to Canadian preclearance, Global Entry members will be able to take advantage of the program when returning home from Canada. NEXUS members will have the option of using either the Global Entry or NEXUS kiosks in preclearance. Further announcements will be made as necessary.

This is an automated email. Please do not reply.

20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The issue is that when they say that there will be kiosks in Toronto and Montreal by September, do they mean by September 1 (the start of a holiday weekend in the USA) or by the end of the month. Common usage would suggest the first alternative, but this is the government.....Also, this is for CBP immigration and customs pre-clearance, not security for Canada-USA transborder flights (or any other TSA security stuff, with details still to be announced according to the announcement).

21. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    *sigh*...sometimes I think we're going in circles. This was posted a few pages back and a few weeks back.

In short:
    • The trusted traveler/TSA screening program doesn't start until Oct and then is only on DL (ATL/DTW) and AA (DFW/MIA) at certain limited checkpoints.
    • No, a GE card cannot be used at the NEXUS kiosks in YUL (despite what the press releases implied).
    • GE does absolutely nothing for getting you into Canada.
    • GE may or may not exist in YUL when we leave there (probably not).
    • GE may or may not get front-of-line privileges in YUL (it appears to be YMMV).
    (I'm not calling anyone out, the thread is clearly quite huge so just about everything gets lost).

TAHKUCT, Pat89339 and IDGflygirl like this.
  22. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    sorry, never kept track on whether this has been posted before. when i received this email i assumed its new and sent to all members at the same time, not sure if this email was sent in batches to other users.

as for GE @ YUL, well....... we'll see what luck brings us......... it can be Sep 1 or it can be Sep 30........ but if anyone passing by YUL Transborder in the upcoming week or so can keep an eye and inform us, that would be of interest to the MP community.

23. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not expect to find GE kiosks at YUL immediately come September 1st. As of last week there were none in the pre clearance area of YYZ, though will be going through later this morning and update if this is now the case. Not sure if the GE card will be accepted for the NEXUS fast track security lanes operating at many Canadian airports for domestic and international travel, but not for US-bound (once you pass through US immigration/customs). Such fast track varies by airport, i.e. at YYZ there are lanes for AC J/SuperElite/Elite-AmexPlat boarding pass/card holders.

UPDATE: As of today (23 August) no GE kiosk at YYZ-T1. The NEXUS kiosks have been moved from the centre of the hall to the left side though where there will be room for a couple of GE kiosks.

rwoman likes this.
  24. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just filled everything out...let's hope it all works properly! :D

25. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    My NEXUS, already GET, has been “pending review“ for 2 weeks. Doubt I’ll have it before SMD3. :(