global entry - grace period?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by estnet, Jun 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never received notice that I needed to renew, but did anyway.

The apt. times at sfo are over 4 months out! I made an apt, but b/c of travel may have to change. So I've received provisional approval, but have to go in (probably b/c they can NEVER read my fingerprints - a situation that isn't going to get better unless they improve the technology!) for an apt and can't get in before the expiration do I turn into a frog (non GE person) on my birthday?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about a "grace period," but I doubt it. You can do your interview at any of the enrollment centers. Are you flying anywhere or do you have a layover anywhere with an enrollment center? (http://www.cbp.gov/global-entry/enrollment-centers) if so, check their wait times and pick one with a shorter wait. Also, I'm told that appointments do open up as people reschedule, so it's worth checking daily to see if anything comes available.

YULtide likes this.
  3. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep on checking for new appointment times - people cancel. Otherwise, provisional approval doesn't mean you can use GE and the process is the same whether it's a new application or a renewal.

free101girl likes this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately I'm traveling out of the US for the next few months and sfo is pretty impossible to change almost found a new apt., but I checked my calendar and then it was gone, "missed it by that much"

They never answer the phone for changes within 24 hours so even tho I live close to the airport can't pick up a last minute cancellation I did try when I had a long layover at dfw, but the PILOT in front of me got the only cancellation for that day.

Is it sort of crazy that pilots for US carriers have to pass a separate clearance for GE in addition to whatever the airline does?

free101girl likes this.
  5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Working for an airline doesn't exempt you from CBP inspections - but his id would let him/her use the crew/diplomat lines (which are almost always much shorter waits). Not talking to CBP and dealing with the machine that takes your word at face value almost always has some extra process. If anything, I take this as confirmation of GE desirability.

6. DavidRelter

DavidRelter New Member

Status Points:
    I also never received any kind of a notice of renewal, but my friend got that, so I just wanted to know the process to renew it.

7. Airsick

Airsick New Member

Status Points:
    Go on GOES website, fill out the info on Manage my Account, you can reapply as soon as 6 months before your birthday, which is the date your GE is due