Global Entry for Mileage Plus Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by jmrich1432, Sep 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got an email from Continental announcing some added benefits. I hadn't seen this posted here yet....

"We're pleased to announce a new benefit for Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members that makes going through customs and immigration in the U.S. faster and easier. Beginning in the second quarter of 2012, these members will be eligible for a Global Entry benefit. We'll compensate eligible members for the cost of their Global Entry application fee (for new applications) — a unique, new benefit. Global Entry is a U.S. Customs & Border Protection program that allows expedited clearance for preapproved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States."

rwoman likes this.
  2. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Weird, I checked that thread, but didn't see it. :oops: Whoops!

rwoman likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A big "if" depending on the airport and when you arrive. I didn't find the "paperwork" (it is actually all online) to be too onerous. The hardest part was recounting all the countries I'd visited in the time frame they required.

Having the benefit is phenomenal and I'm looking forward to getting my wife enrolled.

rwoman and jmrich1432 like this.
  5. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does one need to be a US Citizen in order to avail oneself of this benefit? Would people on work visas qualify?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    http://www.globalentry.gov/ has all the details. There are certain non-residents who are eligible but I do not know all the specifics.

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  7. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, the online forms weren't that bad. Fortunately I had recently filled out a similar form for a background check at work so I had all of my addresses from the last 5 years (lots of apts in college) already written down.

I keep a spreadsheet of countris I visit and when so I was able to just filter on dates within the last 5 years.

I travel internationally 5-6 times a year so I wouldn't have paid for the benefit, but since it was free (Amex Plat) I'm glad to have it. So far it's been really nice and has proven to save quite some time.

rwoman likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I travel about 5-6 times a year internationally as well, and paid for it out of my own pocket (and for my wife as well, who doesn't travel quite as much). 5-6 times/year over the course of 5 years means 25-30 times using the machine instead of standing in line. Seems so worth it. Of course, now that Amex and UA are giving it away, I suspect there will soon be lines even for the machines...

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I use passportstamp.com (http://www.passportstamp.com/travel/sbm12) and similarly filtered it so that wasn't too awful. It was a lot of entries though. :cool:

I rarely was delayed such that i thought it would be a good value. With it being free I signed up immediately. And my next entry I saved about 30 minutes. At the free price-point it is hard to complain.

Gargoyle and jmrich1432 like this.
  10. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never heard of passportstamp.com. I tried opening it from that link and then also googling it, but I'm having some issues getting the page to load. I will definitely check it out later, thanks for posting the link!

The application certainly wasn't quick, but for free it was totally worth it! Conservatively, it will save me a few hours a year. Totally worth the $0 and the 45 mins or so I spent on the form!

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget the time spent on the "interview". But nevertheless I think it's worth it for me.

12. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I completed this process recently in less than a week. Filled out the online application on a Saturday night, scheduled the interview on Monday, went in for the interview the following Friday. I could have done it as fast as Wednesday, but I was out of town on business.

The "interview" process was a joke, consisting of watching a 5 minute video, having my photo and fingerprints taken, and collecting some informational materials from the CBP officer. Took about 15 minutes total.

Like sbm says, at the "free" price point, it's worth the investment. Even at $20/year, it was worthwhile for me to do out of my own pocket.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I did my interview and such at my "home base" of IAH Terminal E. The GE office is on the ground level of Terminal E, right next to the International Arrivals doors.

13. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    So is this free service available yet, or after the first of the year, and where does one go to get-er-dun?

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Later and we don't know the details yet.

EX-LAX likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Me, too. I'd be pretty bummed if it is gone. I liked having my visits by date readily logged and with a fun map.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  16. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a cool way to keep track of things! I just checked back and it seems to be working now! Looks like I will be signing up for an account of my own.

Thanks again for the tip!

17. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just recently completed the Global Entry process on my own dime. It was very easy and if you do your interview at LAS, it couldn't be any easier as you park for $2 for 30 min right outside terminal 2 which is totally dead and the interview took all of 15 min. Signage is a little lacking but just know that you walk towards the customs building right next to terminal 2.

Can't compare it to what the procedure would have been like at other airports but can't imagine it being much more difficult. The only factors that might come into play are crowds and traffic at other airports. Looking forward to bypassing the immigration line at LAX when I get back from EZE.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Roughly the same as at EWR, though I didn't have to park so that part was easy.

19. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its a nice benefit and handy to have if you end up in a long immigration queue. Nexus cardholders got it for free, which is a great bargain considering Nexus costs $50 for 5yrs.

Canadians are eligible for GE via the Nexus program (which is how I got it!)

20. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    The global entry interview process at JFK is relatively easy as well. Right on the ground level where arrivals are at T4.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  21. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Super easy at BOS too which is where I had my interview. It was a piece of cake.

22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I applied, even though I currently travel abroad about a half dozen times a year, my calculation was that if it just helps me once a year to save an hour or so in line or to avoid a missed connection or permit me to take a tight connection, it's well worth it as my time is worth at least ten times the implicit $20 per hour (and my pre-tax consulting rate is much more than multiples of $200 per hour).

In fact, I decided to apply after spending an hour or two entering at LAX TBIT and I would have eagerly paid much more than $100 to avoid that experience after a flight from SIN.

Seeing the situation at ORD when SMD3 arrived from Europe was another instance where I would have gladly paid at least $500 to avoid even the lines that were faced by USA citizens that day.

YMMV or course.

23. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a dumb question regarding this benefit, and I know much isn't out on it. I already have GE (yay!), but is it possible to extend this benefit to a family member instead of using it for myself? Kind of like how we can sponsor SWUs for other people, could we sponsor someone for GE?

jmrich1432 likes this.
  24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I hope we can (I'm in the same boat as you of having it already) but I imagine we'll have to wait for more details to find out.

25. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only non-Americans who can qualify for GE are Canadians and the Dutch. Assume if those of these two nationalities (passport holders) are resident in the USA on legal work or student visas, they can qualify albeit using their national passports. If 1K/GS should get the rebate at time of registration or renewal. This is a personal benefit so doubt it is transferable to another person.

Quasiconvexity and jmrich1432 like this.