Global Entry/FLUX Alliance

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by vla, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. vla
    Original Member

vla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Global Entry (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler/global_entry)* is a great programme and has saved me huge wait times at various airports around the US -- one of the best initiatives US CBP have undertaken.

It is intended for US citizens/nationals and lawful permanent residents. Dutch citizens also have been eligible to apply for Global Entry (and Schiphol's Privium) under the FLUX Alliance scheme (https://www.flux-alliance.eu/home), and Mexican nationals have recently been allowed to apply.

However, there are other "trusted traveller" programmes in the US -- NEXUS being the most obvious, which pre-dates FLUX Alliance. But is this not somewhat counter-productive, as the FLUX Alliance system is set up for a series of bilateral agreements between other states and the US (eg. Mexico, NL today and, on the FLUX Alliance webspace, ideas have been put forth to expand to Germany, the UK and, indeed, Canada).

Similarly, does anyone have any idle speculation/gossip/conjecture about whether this scheme will be opened to UK nationals? US citizens who travel frequently to the UK have already been able to take advantage of automated Iris scanners at certain UK airports, which greatly speeds entry into the country. Or, Fast Track immigration is often offered, sponsored by certain airlines, for non-EU nationals, at certain times.

UK nationals are some of the most frequent visitors to the US, and have to go through ESTA, Secure Flight, et al, and then often face lengthy queues for processing. Frequent travel goes both ways, by definition. Janet Napolitano was on the Andrew Marr show on the BBC a few weeks ago and was asked specifically if anything could be done to improve UK national entry into the US. She seemed to indicate that -- security first, etc., etc. -- her department was working on something.

Inclusion in the FLUX Alliance, perhaps? And would there be any reciprocal benefits for US nationals at UK airports?

* someday I will learn how to hyperlink on this new system

CrankyScott likes this.
  2. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    As the programme proves itself it is likely to expand to countries with bilateral agreements and security databases that are reliable. (Mexico is so far behind the USA in database centralization and data security I would imagine Mexican nationals will have to go through some interesting exercises to gain actual access, even though it is nominally permitted; UK citizens and others will undoubtedly prove easier to clear. N.B. Disclaimer: I have lived in Mexico and am well aware of the issues I am addressing here.)

As for me, I love the programme! Avoid the immigration queues, hop up to the kiosk, insert passport, place fingers on the reader, answer a few questions, take my receipt, grab my bag(s) if any off the carousel, proceed to the front of the queue and turn in my receipt. Any negatives? Tiny: I have had to argue with a couple of different FAs that I don't need their US Customs forms.

3. noneemac

noneemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    My first return to the United States since getting my Global Entry sticker was earlier this week. Came through MIA, and blazed through Immigration in 1 minute. So fast that I had to wait 10 minutes at the carousel to retrieve my checked bag.

The problem is this: how are Global Entry users supposed to whisk through Customs? The MIA Customs office has five lines, and under line 4 is a sign that clearly states GLOBAL ENTRY. But the line was clogged with non-Global Entry people. My GF and I just decided to hold up our clearance passes and slip through the crowd to the front of the line. The Customs agent told us we really weren't supposed to do this, but we replied that the Customs agent at LAX who trained us on the system told us we should just head to the front of the line.

So how's it going to shake out? Are there supposed to be dedicated lines for GE users, to expedite getting through Customs? Seems we GE users shouldn't have to wait with the hoi polloi just because we checked a bag.

Thoughts?

4. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I signed up last year and the process was relatively easy. I live in a city not serviced by Global Entry, so I had to plan the “interview” around my travels while in a serviced city. The process was very straightforward and things moved along quickly.

Since being approved, I have used the service 4 times (LAS, LAX, SFO, DTW) and each time it’s been awesome. No more filling out the blue forms on the flight or waiting in the queue line.

• Simply walk up to a machine and insert your passport
    • Scan your finger prints
    • Confirm the flight you were on
    • Answer the customs questions
    • Grab receipt and go to baggage claim
    • At customs, you hand them the machine receipt – you still have the same chances for random search and such.

There are no membership cards to bulk up your wallet – they do add a stamp to the inside back page of your passport (you can register multiple passports).

The only downside is the $100 enrollment fee. If you travel internationally more than a few times per year, the time saved will be worth every penny.

For more information about the program, you can read it here:
    http://www.globalentry.gov

5. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think these programs are great. I have GE, NEXUS and IRIS. MIA was my only problem area as well, the lines to get out after GE are horrendous.

6. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it saves a connection when your inbound Int'l flight is late on a rough weather day, it is worth every penny.....

CrankyScott likes this.
  7. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you do NEXUS first, its $50, then GE is free.

8. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I just applied for GE, hoping to use it on an international flight we're taking in a couple weeks. Does anyone remember how much time it took between application and interview? I'm wondering if it's realistic to think we'll be able to use it on this upcoming trip...

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    About six months ago, mine took less than a week for the conditional approval and then I had my choice of JFK interview slots. Some other locations seem to have their interview slots more filled up early.

10. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It took my application a week to go to 'approved' and pending appointment for interview. It is entirely possible you might get it as fast... I believe it depends upon whether there are any problems with your application details.

11. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went through the process back in November. It was 3 business days from application to conditional approval waiting for interview. I was surprised, as I had several recently-visited countries on the application which I thought might require further investigation (though none of the really questionable ones), but perhaps my occupation combined with past activities which required security investigations helped the process along.