Global Entry Fee

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Sloweddy00, Mar 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sloweddy00

Sloweddy00 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anybody heard anything new about Global Entry fee from United? Are we still looking at 2nd quarter?

2. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No news yet. I think s:(.

3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, the good news is Q2 is only one week away :)
    I'm thinking I will go ahead and do the online app first part of April to try and beat the crowd. Not that I know if UA will really pay me back the $100 or not, but I am only going to be back in the States for a short period of time in May so would like to line up my appointment now.
    Hope we hear something sooner rather then later.

4. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hope you're correct on early Q2 instead of late Q2, but as with most things UA merger-related, I'm guessing that it's going to be towards the tail end of the time window...

theBOAT

Scottrick and AZjohn like this.
  5. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just be careful, it may not be a reimbursement. Maybe they'll have unique promo codes for us or something. That'd be easier than processing manual refund claims.

Also, they may disqualify apps that originate before a certain date.

6. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Token bump, as it is now officially the 2nd quarter. ;)

Paolo Scuri and Flyer1976 like this.
  7. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That means they've g;)t just under three months left to implement it.

8. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember when they were implementing something "Mid Year", I think it was SWUs and that took much longer than expected.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  9. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I d;)n't think they're sitting in Chicago twiddling their thumbs...

Flyer1976 likes this.
  10. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I propose that folks go ahead and spent the $100 on your own dime. This is the best $100 I have spent and to be honest, I do not expect UA to implement this "benefit" anytime soon with all the chaos going on.

11. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok. Looks like we have a little action on the web page. Unable to post link right now, but appears our NewUA will give us $100 credit towards a flight, not cash back. But hey, something is better then nothing

Flyer1976 likes this.
  12. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I am reading it correctly, that's only temporary

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/services.aspx#gecb

"MileagePlus compensates 2012 Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members for the $100 Global Entry application fee, for new applications. Starting later in June, there will be an automated process to take advantage of this benefit, in the form of a code that can be redeemed during the Global Entry application process. We’ll provide full details on this process soon.
    Until that time, eligible members may be compensated in the form of a $100 united.com TravelBank credit. To apply for this credit, please follow these steps:"

And I might actually make it to Platinum this year!

Paolo Scuri, COFlyerCLE and AZjohn like this.
  13. Sloweddy00

Sloweddy00 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good news either way! Thank you for the update.

14. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's interesting about that link from FlyingBear is that United will take a screenshot of the $100 payment as proof of GE. However, that page does NOT mean you are approved for GE. So United is going to refund the fee whether you get approved or not. I guess that's cool.

-RM

15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if I get to Platinum really, really quickly if they'll refund my already-paid fee.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    AmEx does, too. You're being reimbursed for the application fee, not for getting approved. And you're out the $100 either way so that's the way the benefit actually makes the most sense for customers.

desamo likes this.
  17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMEX Business Plat recently gave me a $100 credit for GE, one of their stated benefits for card members, three years after I was selected by CBP to participate in the pilot program. Thought that was kinda cool:cool:

Espan likes this.
  18. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but this is United we're talking about here. :)

-RM

Espan likes this.
  19. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's very cool...

20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed wholeheartedly, and, importantly, it is also worth it. I have commented in several threads what a time-saver GE can be. For tight intl to domestic connections in busy and huge airports like IAD, it is great to just zip right through using the GE kiosk rather than to have to wait in the immigration line, with a plane load or two of people in front of you. It is definitely worth it, even if you leave the country just a couple of times a year...

GE, don't leave home again without it!

redwoman and AZjohn like this.
  21. frankmu

frankmu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes!

We sailed through LAX customs a couple of weeks ago thanks to GE. We had a tight connection, but United had us protected for a flight 2 days later. I appreciate being protected, but that would have meant losing a day of work for both my wife and I. GE was cheaper than that.

22. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used it for the first time in march in ORD. I timed myself and from approaching a kiosk (one was freeing up as I walked up) to waving goodbye to the Customs agent (I had only a carry-on and nothing to delcare) it took me 59 seconds!!!! Yes, I walked fast and yes, i was trying to see how fast I could get through, but that has got to be a record!

23. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, did the application online. I'm happy to hear it was easy for everyone, but I was kind of caught off guard doing mine (thank God my wife was doing hers at the same time and could help me).

Just as a heads up to anyone who hasen't registered, you need to know exactly where you have been in the last 5 years. This includes all employment addresses and phone #'s, residence, and lastly all the Countries you were in the last 5 years (this is the one that kind of got me).

As a side note, after listing all the Countries we have been in the last 5 years we looked at each of ther and said "we have a pretty good life visiting all these places" :)

24. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. Fortunately, I had to get all this information last year when I completed the SF 85 form - which goes back 7 years - for public trust positions, so i have all the info readily available. But nice to be prepared with it.

AZjohn and desamo like this.
  25. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My $100 reimbursement posted to my TravelBank today (before my Global Entry application was even approved). I applied for Global Entry and sent the reimbursement request to UA on 4/11.